Skip to content

They creeped me out the first time I saw them ...

Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
... and they still creep me out today.

I'm talking about basilisks. Even the noise they make makes my blood runs cold.

Comments

• raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    vampiric wolfs and sword spiders were my doom in BG1
  • KharasKharas Member Posts: 150
    Mindflayers!! God.. the world (of faerun) would be a better place without mindflayers :p
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    and the ominous humming of protective spells over high level wizards, knowing they wont be killed so easily :O
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    A bit metagame-y but once you know the locations of all the basilisks it's just a matter of drinking a potion of mirrored eyes and picking up up your free 7000XP.
  • MalbortusMalbortus Member Posts: 106
    I always got Korax, the friendly ghoul, to tank them for me. He's immune to their scary gaze. It can't be a coincidence that he was put in a zone heavy with basilisks.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Doppelgangers and Mindflayers gave me the creeps...Especially the Mindflayer lair in Baldur's Gate 2... *shivers* :/
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    Kharas said:

Mindflayers!! God.. the world (of faerun) would be a better place without mindflayers :p

plus ehh, the comments at the bottom of the screen once you're stunned...."the mind flayer ate your brains....." as they consume your intelligence.

funny how it comes back after a few hours though. wish I had regenerating brains
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    I miss basilisks in BG2. I know it would be easy to kill them by now, but so are spiders.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited August 2012
    Corvino said:

A bit metagame-y but once you know the locations of all the basilisks it's just a matter of drinking a potion of mirrored eyes and picking up up your free 7000XP.

But they can waylay you when you a traveling from place to place. And it didn't occur to me to look out for them in Durlag's Tower until I walked out the door and there was one right in front of me.

Post edited by Permidion_Stark on
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455

http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate/enemies/greaterbasilisk.gif

Corvino said:

But they can waylay you when you a traveling from place to place. And it didn't occur to me to look out for them in Durlag's Tower until I walked out the door and there was one right in front of me.

http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate/enemies/lesserbasilisk.gif

Next time send Khalid first - problem solved! :)
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    centeol was creepy as hell. i hate spiders. :/
  • eainterplayeainterplay Member Posts: 55
    The two most frustrating fights in the whole game are easily the basilisks in BG1 and the demi-litch on the fourth level of Watcher's Keep. He can imprision at will.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    Oh, basilisks were nasty! And just when I though I got them all, Imoen wandered south around the rock and I only had time to shout "Imoen! NOOOOOooooooo!" (Then off to the priest for a certain scroll it was :P )

But the creatures that crept me out the most were carrion crawlers. They would paralyze my party and eat them all alive... Gods but I hated those critters! (And, for the sake of contrariety, I named my favorite PC after them. He is SO not impressed... XD )
  • RingoRingo Member Posts: 39
    Yeah, carrion crawlers were solid a ten on the creep scale. I would much rather meet an ogre-mage (or anything) in a dark alley, than a crawler.
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    trinit said:

centeol was creepy as hell. i hate spiders. :/

True dat homes. That thing made me wonder if it was even worth killing it, if it meant getting all gooey in her blood and gore. YUCK!
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    The first time I played BG and stumbled across a giant spider, it made my skin crawl. I hate those slimes and jellies too... yuck!
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208

The first time I played BG and stumbled across a giant spider, it made my skin crawl. I hate those slimes and jellies too... yuck!

this in dragon age. there was like a random encounter with this wierd chitter like sound, and i was ehhh, huh, then 6 giant spiders suddenly jumped down and surrounded my party. i seriously jumped out of my chair at the sight of them. God i hate spiders.
  • luluscadoluluscado Member Posts: 69
    edited August 2012
    I know they look silly and not really scary but beholders creeped me out to no end and that lair they had in BG2... shivers image to many eyes
  • wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    Hook horrors for me.
  • BelgarathBelgarath Member Posts: 15
    My worst nightmare was spiders for some reason and that screeching sound...
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    Kangaxx the Demi-Lich, THE most scariest bugger in the game. I never were able to defeat him.

Though you have to admit: searching for golden body parts, guarded by powerful liches and assembling them in a coffin with a talking skull would have given me some clue that the outcome would not have been pretty.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    I´ll never forget the very First time I fought against ghasts in my life!
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Dopplegangers really freaked me out the first time, with their haste and horrible wailing, KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    luluscado said:

I know they look silly and not really scary but beholders creeped me out to no end and that lair they had in BG2... shivers image to many eyes

Go for the eyes boo?
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited August 2012
    I always feel so sorry for korax the friendly ghoul when I'm using him. His end line just before he turns hostile always gets me
    "Korax sooorrrrryyyy, but me sooooo huuunggrryyyy...."
    If only you were the nameless one and could let him chomp on your finger. *sigh*
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited August 2012
    Mindflayers. It didn't help that I had a terrible time beating them when I was younger (even still at times).
  • RunarielRunariel Member Posts: 13
    Phyrax said:

Kangaxx the Demi-Lich, THE most scariest bugger in the game. I never were able to defeat him.

If you buy a Protect from Magic Scroll, he's nothing more than a piece of old, floating bone. I'm always sorry for him when I see him casting Imprisonment at me again and again while I hammer him back to his grave ... Same for the the Demi-Lich in Watcher's Keep - one of the easiest fights there with the scroll in your backpack.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Damn, yeah. Was scared for at least 20 of my runs... that is until I learned their exact locations and made a tactic which was kinda 99.99% successful at eliminating the threat ONCE and for all! 8D

My guide (take whichever precaution necessary - best one is the scroll of prot. vs petrification you can buy at the Nashkel carnival)

Get close to Korax, move straight east - Lesser Basilisk (1400 XP )
    North of the first basilisk, north-north west of the petrified lady you'll get two more lesser basilisks (4200 XP)
    Move back to the lady, slightly south and approach the trees to the east step by step, uncovering Mutamin (5400 XP)
    Just north-east of the area with Mutamin (literally THERE), greater Basilisk and lesser basilisk, watching out for the aggressiveness of GBs in melee too! (13800 XP)
    Move straight east from the Greater Basilisk's location for one more Lesser Basilisk (15200 XP)
    Now move in a curved fashion south (move south and a few steps east and when you hit the center, move south and a few steps west, to avoid contact with the group of adventurers). You should hit an area with usually some gnolls. Dispose of them and move CAUTIOUSLY west, where you'll get 2x Lesser Basilisk and 1x Greater Basilisk (the 4K XP one) - (20600 XP)
    Now finally move westwards from the spawn location of the northernmost lesser basilisk of the last group to find the final lesser basilisk (22000 XP)

Enjoy leveling up ;)

Note - it CAN be done on level 1. More easily on Tutu and BGT as Korax can actually STUN the basilisks, but it can be done. It's a power gamer's guide I guess ;)
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    -lol-
    I need to go through the BG I files one of these days and makes gifs of some of the creatures.
    I did it with a few of the files in BG II, though I didn't get very far before I switched to something else.
    But here's a few from BG II that I liked.