Skip to content

Questions about AC and Magic Resistance (Spoilers) Hell Trials

the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
So, I just got to the hell trials at the end of BG2 and I can't remember how this works. The Selfishness test where you can have one of your party members killed for a +2 AC adjustment or you can spare them and get a +10% magic resistance adjustment. I have two questions, one about AC and the other about magic resistance.

I have a human fighter with an armor class base of 10. My dexterity is at 19 which yields a -4 modifier to armor class which makes it a 6 base armor class. If I get a +2 to armor class in the hell trials that would change my base from 10 to 8 and then my dexterity bonus would make it a 4 base. However, I am using full plate Armor Of The Heart +3 which sets my base armor class at -2. So am I correct in thinking that the +2 bonus to armor class is pointless for my character or am I misinterpreting the D&D rules? Weather I have a base armor class of 6 or 4 shouldn't matter if my armor class is going to be set to -2 by my magical armor. Or am I wrong in this line of thinking?

Now onto my question about magic resistance, I noticed that my character has two fields. One is magic damage and the other is magic. Amulets that grant 10% magic resistance show up under the magic field. Does the +10% magic resistance earned in the hell trials add 10% to the magic field or the magic damage field or both?.

It's been a long time since I have had to think about D&D rules and I honestly don't remember how this works. Just want to know what I am doing before I make the choice.

Comments

• SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    1) You'll have -8 AC (-2 base, -4 Dex and -2 Hell Trial).

2) It affects your Magic Resistance, not Magic Damage Resistance.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    edited December 2013
    never mind i suck :P
    Post edited by enqenq on
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited December 2013
    I am using the Armor of the heart which sets me at -2. I then have the ring of Gaxx which sets me at-4 and my dex sets me at -8. I also have the cloke of sewers which sets me at -9 and the helm of baldrin which sets me at -10. After the hell trials my base armor class changed from 10 to 8 but my overall armor class is still -10. So I am not getting any benefit is this correct or possibly a bug?
    edited December 2013

I am using the Armor of the heart which sets me at -2. I then have the ring of Gaxx which sets me at-4 and my dex sets me at -8. I also have the cloke of sewers which sets me at -9 and the helm of baldrin which sets me at -10. After the hell trials my base armor class changed from 10 to 8 but my overall armor class is still -10. So I am not getting any benefit is this correct or possibly a bug?

That's because AC bonus from Hell Trials is currently bugged. It should stack with the others, taking you to -12.

@tresset @elminster I'll be away for some days, can you open a ticket about it (if there is not already). Thanks ;)
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I think the AC from the hell trials is bugged. Or if it isn't bugged, then its pretty meaningless. I have the same issue you do, in that it reduces base AC to 8 but overall AC remains static. There is a hotfix for it, I think, but it only works if you haven't got it yet.
    If there is a hotfix then I assume a ticket has already been submitted to the bug team? I'll just change my armor class with EE keeper so it's no big deal. I thought something was up but I wanted to make sure with you guys. Thanks for the info. Let me know about the hotfix though. I would be more than happy to open a bug report thread in the bug forums if it has not been mentioned already.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

That's because AC bonus from Hell Trials is currently bugged. It should stack with the others, taking you to -12.

@tresset @elminster I'll be away for some days, can you open a ticket about it (if there is not already). Thanks ;)
    I'm busy at the moment but I will add it (provided nobody else does) when I get a chance.
    edited December 2013
    Ok thanks. After messing with EE keeper I can see that the problem is the armor in BG2EE is simply setting armor class without taking into consideration the base.

For example a suit of full plate -2 armor is not subtracting 12 from the base armor class, it is simply setting the armor class to -2. All other items such as rings and cloaks are actually subtracting from the base armor class as they should.

I had a base armor class of 10 so getting full plate -1 was setting the armor class to -1 as it should(10-11=-1). Using full plate with -2 armor class was setting my armor class at -2(10-12=-2) as it should. It wasn't actually subtracting 12 from my 10 base it simply worked out without doing the math. However, in the hell trials when your base actually changes from 10 to 8 the armor still sets the AC at -2 instead of actually doing the math which causes the problem. It should set it at -4. ( 8-12=-4.) Allowing the suits of armor to work the way they are set in EE would have worked if the hell trials didn't actually alter the base AC.

So it's not actually the base armor class in the hell trial that is bugged. It is the way the engine is handling suits of armor(not subtracting the armor class from the base) that is causing the problem. Hope that helps.
    edited December 2013
    Not at all :)
    The armors work as intended (setting the base AC). The AC bonus of the Trial should, instead, be like those of Ring of Gaxx/Protection/etc (to make an example).
    It is AD&D 2ed we're talking about, not 3+ed ;)
    jackjack
    Oh I see, so the suit of armor is correct but base armor bonus should stack on top of whatever the suit of armor has set. If that is the case then ignore my above post. It seems like a strange way of going about it but I have no experience working with the infinity engine.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @the_sextein Could you attach your save file (preferably from before you do any of the trials) so I can have a good look at this before reporting?
    elminster
    Yes, I think I still have a save at the point when I am warped into hell. I know I have a save from the elven city and I also have a save from the start of TOB. I will upload them as soon as I get the chance. Probably about 8 hours from now.
    edited December 2013
    Ok so I included two save files. One of them is immediately after I was pulled into hell and the other one is after I have collected all of the tears of bhaal but before I have clicked on any of the eyes to get the stat rewards. You can simply take a look at my main character's inventory to see if the tears of bhaal are there or not and that will allow you to tell the two saves apart.

http://jmp.sh/b/nWp9RzrXmvNUVBNq8S1f

Hope this helps.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited December 2013
    Thank you. Reported.
    SpaceInvader
  • vangoatvangoat Member Posts: 212
    Just did this part of the hell trials and it's still bugged. The +2AC does nothing, i'm gonna have to reload and lose a point of dex :(((
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Lose a point in dex is meaningless. Drink some blue energy drinks (potions of mind focusing) and your character can achieve superman dexterity. Side effects may include headaches for being super intelligent and the longing for a recovery of normal mental faculty by getting the brain sucked by a group of mind flayers.
    elminster
  • GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 261
    Is there any ETA on the upcoming patch to fix this???

Perhaps some kind soul knows of a hot fix for this nagging problem?

anyone?
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Fix coming next winter? Or maybe year after?
  • TchadlumTchadlum Member Posts: 5
    Still not fixed 8years later