Skip to content

Bards influence quantum mechanics

BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
Hi, I posted this copy-pasted text on the "new players tips" forum as a way I discovered to make thief detect traps more effective.

Since I believe that a significant portion of the community here don't read that forum, I am going to post it here as well, to encourage discussion of a correlate idea of mine, about bards. (@Dee, if it turns out that there is significant interest in this idea, in both forums, please merge the two threads.)

Here is what I posted, that started as simply a new player suggestion:

Hi, I know that one of the hardest and potentially most frustrating parts of this game is to detect and disarm traps with thief skill.

Even with 100 percent detect traps, one will often stumble into fatal traps by moving too fast.

Disarming traps with thief skill takes the patience of Job, waiting for that skill to tick.

I have recently discovered a trick that is helping me immensely with this problem. I usually play a skald. I usually spend most of my time singing to give my party my permanently awesome buffing, equivalent to both a bless and a chant, permanently cast as long as I sing.

I noticed a side effect - my song shows up as "Bel sings", on every tick of the round. I also noticed something else. Imoen or Yoshimo detect traps only in their line of sight, over about two inches on my 82" tv screen, per round, during that tick. There is zero chance of detecting a trap around a corner, using thief skill. (While cleric Find Traps spells detect them over a huge area per round tick, regardless of lines of sight.)

So, I can use my bard song, as it shows up in the actions window, to know exactly when every round ticks, and therefore every thief detection attempt, and, it makes a really incredibly useful, handy-dandy round timer, since bard song is the first thing that activates at the beginning of every round tick.

This is yet another handy-dandy use of the much maligned and underrated bard class - you can use your bard to time rounds to detect traps with your thief. :)

This is especially true if one understands the nature of the thief detect skill, which is dependent upon lines of sight from the thief toon, and only activates once per round, *simultaneously* with the bard song tick.

And so, "with their mastery of narrative structure, bards should rule the universe, instead of hanging about in taverns..." That's a quote from Emperor Tarquin, from The Order of the Stick. And, in that comic's universe, I would suggest, that the "incompetent" bard Elan has been saving the Order's butts since the beginning of the comic epic story, by singing his silly little "hit, hit, hit, hit, the little goblins" ditties, and "make, make, make, make, your saving throws", and "detect, detect, disarm, disarm, make your skill ro-oools", and all his other nursery rhyme formula ditties.

Bards control quantum mechanics. Bards influence probabilities, and through their musical and poetic power, decide whether Schroedinger's cat lives or dies. (Elan would sing it like - "Live, live, live, live, little Schroedinger's cat, kitty! Soft, kitty, warm, kitty, little ball of fur! Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr!)

Umm, yeah, so, you can use your bard's song as a round timer, besides its quantum mechanics altering properties. :)
Post edited by BelgarathMTH on

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Dee, @mlnevese, @CamDawg, @LadyRhian

sorry, for some reason, my attempt to do an @Dee summon didn't work in my initial post. So, I have attempted to tag every moderator I know for the reason that I tried to tag @Dee. Ummm, okay, help? I didn't know which forum I should try to post my ideas into, and I had two strains of thought -

1) help people who have trouble with Detect Traps skill, by suggesting using their bard song as a round timer, and

2) trying to start an interesting discussion about the possibly omnipotent ramifications of being a bard.
  • DeltaslayerDeltaslayer Member Posts: 49
    nano said:

my 82" tv screen

O_O
    Yet, that's all I got from this thread as well. Holy ****!
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited December 2013
    @Deltaslayer, @nano, aww, come on, I was just trying to reference a communicable scale model of the thief detect range.

On my big screen, it's about one or two apparent inches. On a smaller screen, it would be one or less inches. Actually, on my big screen, it may be closer to five or six apparent inches.

Heck, I don't know, my point was that thief detect has a very, very small range, and only in the thief's line of sight. YMMV. All players can, through careful experience, learn the apparent range of that critical skill, on their own monitor size, for themselves.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Er yeah, now that my mind has recovered that's a pretty neat way to time the rounds. I usually use auto-pause on round end if I want to see the rounds but it's not very practical.

Still, it would be nice to see the end of rounds without having a bard. Nothing against bards, it's just information I would like to have at all times. Sometimes I want to drink a potion during battle but I can't tell if I've waited long enough so I have to click, pause-unpause really quick, and see if my guy drinks it.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Turn Undead has the minor additional benefit of "Not having to have a Bard in your party" as well, but great idea all the same, I usually just count the clock on the bottom left corner for round progression.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited December 2013
    @Pantalion - That's no benefit! XD
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Aaaaaand I thought my 60" TV was huge. Holy damn.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    82 inch TVs are based on quantum mechanics principles.