Skip to content

Apple TV Integration?

ZeltorZeltor Member Posts: 1
edited August 2012 in iPad (Archive)
Any plans for the iPad version of BGEE to take advantage of those of us with an Apple TV? I know games like Zombie Gunship have special screens when connected to Apple TV. You get the game on your big screen TV and a radar display on the Ipad screen. Any plans or ideas being thrown around about that?

Comments

• CameronToferCameronTofer Administrator, Developer Posts: 279
    I've thought something like that would be cool, haven't a good idea of how exactly it should work though.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    @CameronTofer
    iPad may work as a map where you can control your chars` movement.
    Or when you open your char-sheet it will be displayed in the iPad screen instead of the main one..
  • oldsch00loldsch00l Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 192
    Love the idea, something like Real Racing with the interface on the iPad and the action on the TV ? :-))
  • inweinwe Member Posts: 79
    Another cool enhancements would be:
    - Display info of the current foe (weaknesses, resistances...).
    - Show extended info of combat... Like, who is attacking who, what spell/skill will be cast next, a detailed combat log and so on...
    - Your Journal, with available text annotation...
    - If you send your allies to another location, would be great to have an split view, one with your current player location shown on your iPad and have on the screen the other party members
  • DragonwingDragonwing Member Posts: 11
    I guess Airplay Mirroring would work.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited September 2012
    The problem is that the games mentioned in this thread are quite new and planned to use these features from scratch.

They are working on code that must be around 15 years old, originally designed to run on windows 95/98. Doing what is being suggested is a major revision of the code, for very little return of their investment and time.

If the sales go well on iOS, then expect this feature on the NEW game they'll release in the future, BG 3 or whatever it will be called. I don't believe we'll see it on any of the EE.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • vkbestvkbest Member Posts: 42
    mlnevese said:

They are working on code that must be around 15 years old, originally designed to run on windows 95/98. Doing what is being suggested is a major revision of the code, for very little return of their investment and time.

I don´t think so. Apple TV from iPhone is programmed like external screen. They need to detect external screen and renderize the game without interfaze in 720p (iPad 2) or 1080p (iPad 3).
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    What is being suggested in this thread would require a major rework of the UI. It would have to be aware that it is running on two screens at once and display different UI elements on each one, forking the interface reading routine to be aware of changes on each screen.

A simple mirroring to Apple TV is completly handled by the OS, so the best we can hope for is a simple TV mirroring of what is currently on screen on the TV, not the dual interface suggested.