Skip to content

Interesting Dual Class Combinations

mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
Everyone knows about the tried and true combos such as Berserker->Cleric and Kensai->Mage. But I wonder if anyone has tried dual class combinations that may not be optimal but are interesting.

Maybe something like an Assassin dualed to Fighter at lower levels for the +1 to hit and damage and poison weapon. Emphasis on ranged weapons. Not much of a thief, but certainly a different take on the fighter. Could also be dualed to mage for Melf's Minute Meteors + poison.

Or has anyone tried dualing a spell casting class into one that isn't? Of course, it wouldn't be anywhere near as effective as going the other way around, but I wonder if anyone has tried it and made it work.

Anyways, I'm interesting in hearing people's ideas and experiences.

Edit: I'm also interested in hearing about Shadowkeeper only combinations as well.
Post edited by mylegbig on

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I'm not into min-maxing much, I find it quite silly in fact, but I have done a few dual-class characters I'm quite happy with.

One is a Diviner/Cleric, I was thinking it to be something along the lines of a Lorekeeper of Oghma. Which, considering the main character's background, is very fitting imo. Switched to Cleric at level 6 or 7 when I could cast Clairvoyance.

Another is a Fighter/Cleric, a Battleguard of Tempus concept. Nothing terribly exciting, just put 3 proficiency points in Mace and a couple in Sword and Shield Style. Also have a point each in Morningstar and Warhammer.

I've always liked Thief/Mage combinations though haven't really tried them pre-3rd edition. An Assassin/Mage could be fun maybe. Enough Hide in Shadows to make an escape if need be and the odd poisoned backstab fight opener.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Don't Druids have a melf's equivalent which has an AOE explosive on hit? Assassin -> Druid might be an interesting one if that works the same way as Arrows of Detonation do.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

I still love the necromancer/cleric concept; considering to play BG2 as Xzar-as-he-should-have-been: a completely insane juggler with the forces of life and death, not dedicated to a particular deity, just the philosophical concept of faith. Usually, I dual Xzar at level 5 or 6, but I'd probably go to 8 or 9 as charname.

I like this idea the best. It fits Xzar's character pretty well

I liked my kensai->cleric specializing in quarterstaff -- a monk type of character.

I always wanted a monk to use a quarterstaff, so I may try this for sure!
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    edited December 2013
    Necromancer/Cleric is my favorite, though I also sometimes dual fighter to thief/assassin or cleric/Priest of Talos.

Usually, the roleplay behind dualing to cleric is "charname finds to (deity of choice)" and it bothers me that I can't dual into a cleric kit (legally, at least) or that there isn't even a kit to EEkeep (i.e. travelling with Viconia, charname learns about Shar --> duals to cleric serving Shar isn't possible). Dualing from necromancer to vanilla cleric makes so much more sense to me and I wouldn't want a kit even if it was possible/available. Like I said elsewhere, it's not so much Xzar finding to (a) god, it's a scientist studying the concept of faith and learning about religious rituals from various faiths. The anthropologist spending time with a tribe to study their shamans, meditation methods, use of herbs and so on, but ultimately remaining a non-believer who happens to be an expert on religion.

From the spells, the two classes fit together very well, too. The heal/cause wounds is an "evolution" of Larloch's or Vampiric Touch - the necromancer gains more insight and can now heal without harming, transfer the life force to others instead of only absorbing to himself. Summoning skeletons - which seems essential for a necromancer to me - is now a level 3 divine spell instead of arcane level 5. Various higher level divine spells fit necromancers perfectly (i.e. Finger of Death). It feels like cleric is the natural evolution of necromancers, and the downtime when changing the class makes sense, too. It's not "suddenly forgetting how to do X", it's not using previous (scientific) knowledge to approach the same subject - life and death - from a different angle.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Thief -> Cleric has always seemed strange to me. It sounds like a thief that's been shown the error of his ways and has decided to convert to a religion. But I think dwarves fit this multiclass the best as Priests of Vergadain, even if they can't select it.
  • MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143
    edited December 2013
    How about priest of Mask?
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mask

While that is the most straightforward, Shar also works (it is revealed before his death that she is his mother).
    Shadow Dancers would particularly be relevant in this case.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited December 2013
    I used ee keeper to make a multiclass dwarf barbarian/thief, he's a blast. He's the dwarven counterpart to Conan, or maybe Fafhrd.

I don't bother backstabbing with him, I just really prefer my PCs handling traps and scouting. I use the icewind dale dwarf voice set "easy as goblin pie".

I really wish he could romance mazzy but I'm going to settle for neera. I just bought the defender of east haven for him, and am about to storm de'arnise keep for the FoA, as well as Orc leather which will fit in my min-maxing of physical resistance.

Is there any other armor with phys resistance?

I also have a chaotic neutral cleric shadow dancer multiclass. Hide in plain sight is so fun. I need to find a cloak of non detection for ToB I think.

Im currently in the underdark with him, hes romancing viconia. I use the IWD 2 monk voice set for him.
    Post edited by ReadingRambo on
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    For the BG-legal classes that are a bit unusual, I really like Kensai/Druid. Berserker/Druid is technically mechanically superior, but I love the flavour of K/D and the RP sense of how the Kensai's focus on discipline and order might be translated into the balance-preserving aspect of the druid class.

A non-BG-Legal (though PnP legal) favourite is Fighter/Assassin. Not only is it completely beastly mechanically (Poison Weapon with Fighter THAC0, more HP, Grandmastery, ultimate 7x backstab), it works for me RP-wise because the Assassin is very-much a battle-focused Thief. When the Fighter duals she/he turns their warrior expertise to making precise and deadly strikes and compensates for it with a significant reduction in their thieving utility: the 15% per level helps to simulate a slower progression of the basic thief skills while the bonus damage and THAC0 serve as an innate bonus carried over from their Fighter training.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Mine would require EEkeeper, but I love the thought of an Fighter/Invoker. I view them as the quintessential "War Wizards" and seeing as how the WWoC (War Wizard of Cormyr) prestige class required knowing at least one martial weapon....

Ya I plan on making this run soon and playing it with greatswords for giggles.

I so wish that Monk/Wizard and Paladin/Wizard were legal like they are in 3rd etc =/
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    nano said:

My newest favorite is Cleric of Lathander > Thief. A cleric who wants to do more than spend all his time in a temple. The light of Lathander is already present there, and what use is another acolyte? He serves his deity by bringing the light of Lathander to the dark places of the world - ancient tombs of undead, the hideouts of foul liches, long forgotten ruins of dark magic. He's not a warrior, though, that's a paladin's job. He's an explorer, a pathfinder who finds his way into and out of danger without fighting through everything in between.

Mechanically, this is an awesome class. You can use all the weapons that a cleric normally can't. Offhand Scarlet Ninja-to and stack two Boons of Lathander and you have 5 attacks per round, the same as a warrior. Cleric buffs push you to 25 strength with maximum damage. You can cast mage spells from scrolls. Time trap and Harm. Amazing backstabs. Smack them with Carsomyr. Wear the Robe of Vecna for quick-casting cleric spells.

Definitely sounds interesting. At what level do you dual?
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    Anyone try a fighter assassin multi shorty? Actually while we're talking about multis, anyone know if dwarven defender assassin would be pnp legal? Or maybe berserker assassin?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Typo_tilly

I want a fighter/cleric/thief myself =/
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745

I still love the necromancer/cleric concept.

Own up. You enjoyed playing with me, didn't you?

*Although, why I should be at your click and call is beyond me...*
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    mylegbig said:

nano said:

My newest favorite is Cleric of Lathander > Thief. A cleric who wants to do more than spend all his time in a temple. The light of Lathander is already present there, and what use is another acolyte? He serves his deity by bringing the light of Lathander to the dark places of the world - ancient tombs of undead, the hideouts of foul liches, long forgotten ruins of dark magic. He's not a warrior, though, that's a paladin's job. He's an explorer, a pathfinder who finds his way into and out of danger without fighting through everything in between.

Mechanically, this is an awesome class. You can use all the weapons that a cleric normally can't. Offhand Scarlet Ninja-to and stack two Boons of Lathander and you have 5 attacks per round, the same as a warrior. Cleric buffs push you to 25 strength with maximum damage. You can cast mage spells from scrolls. Time trap and Harm. Amazing backstabs. Smack them with Carsomyr. Wear the Robe of Vecna for quick-casting cleric spells.

Definitely sounds interesting. At what level do you dual?
    I'd do 11 or 12. 11 gets you two uses of Boon, level 12 gets you more spells and a stronger DUHM/Righteous Magic. It is kind of a long dual compared to 9 fighter>mage but at least thieves level quickly. I've heard the duration on innate abilities scales with your highest level, not your cleric level so with 11 cleric/30 thief Boon of Lathander should last for 30 rounds.
  • comebackhomecomebackhome Member Posts: 254
    Pantalion said:

Don't Druids have a melf's equivalent which has an AOE explosive on hit? Assassin -> Druid might be an interesting one if that works the same way as Arrows of Detonation do.

Are there any proficiencies that can benefit this?
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Pantalion said:

Can you please elaborate? That sounds interesting.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    Thieves cannot dual to Druid even with ee keeper unfortunately
    Even for a Mage/Assassin which is also a cool idea. What proficiencies can benefit this class combo?
    edited December 2013
    Illustair said:

Pantalion said:

Can you please elaborate? That sounds interesting.
    Fire Seeds. Creates 4 fire seeds that explode on contact, kind of like Melf's Meteors but with a small AoE.

Note that you can pass them around between your party so you don't have to be a druid yourself... you can have Jaheira make them and give them to you and throw them yourself. I did that a bit with my assassin/mage.

They also work pretty well on Jaheira. She gets fighter HLAs so she can Smite with them and knock people back, or use (Greater) Deathblow and destroy things instantly.

It's a cute trick but they don't do much damage, the AoE is pretty small, you only get 4 per cast and you don't have 5 attacks per round like you do with MMM. I didn't find them very useful overall.
    edited December 2013
    Any non-ranged sling would be good. Staff is great in both games (staff of striking and staff +3 both in BGEE, staff of the ram etc in BG2EE). I mean proficiency wise, as long as you don't go sling (or club really) its kinda hard to screw up.

The only issue I'd see, is just how much mage do you want to get =/ I think it would be better as a EEkeepered multiclass than a dual.

(For extra fun, be a gnome so you can feel legit as an Illusionist/Assassin)

Even for a Mage/Assassin which is also a cool idea. What proficiencies can benefit this class combo?

I'm not really sure what proficiency works with MMM, if any, but I put points in shortbows (for anti-caster ammo), staves (for backstabbing) and darts (stunning darts are actually pretty nice).
    Would the darts proficiency somewhat be advantageous to this? I know that things like Improved haste/Tensers, etc would be beneficial.
    um... not sure what you're asking... dart proficiency doesn't do anything for MMM (just checked) but you can poison the actual darts you throw and stuff. I picked it because darts have 3 APR and are really strong with poison in BG1. I built my assassin/mage to kill casters so it also let me use stunning darts and gave me more chances to interrupt their spells.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Anduin said:

I still love the necromancer/cleric concept.

Own up. You enjoyed playing with me, didn't you?

*Although, why I should be at your click and call is beyond me...*
    You still haven't figured out my mouse magic that makes you do my bidding?