Skip to content

Game locks up in 2 different places

Patch61Patch61 Member Posts: 6
edited January 2014 in Not An Issue
Lockup#1: While creating a new character, I got through all the options to the last one - setting a name. I clicked on the 'Name' button, and the game just locked up completely, requiring me to use Task Manager to kill the program. I've tried this several times, so, it wasn't just a one-time fluke.

So, I decided I would start a game with a pre-rolled character (Dorn) and managed to get into the game. I rescued Imoen, Jaheira and Minsc. Decided I should save before moving on. I managed to do a Quick Save without a problem.

Lockup#2: Then, I tried to do a normal, named save. Once the save list appeared, it showed only an Auto-Save and my Quick-Save. I clicked on the 'Save' button for the 3rd save slot and the program once again, froze there.

I got my game through Steam. I have version 1.2.2030. There aren't any crash logs to include with this report.

I am really looking forward to playing this game again, but if I am limited to using Quick Save only, I don't think I am up for that kind of challenge.
Post edited by Illydth on

Comments

• Patch61Patch61 Member Posts: 6
    Yes, I've rebooted - this has been spread over a few days.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @Patch61: The best I can tell you is it looks potentially like maybe a driver issue? I note that your crashes seem to be happening at the point where keyboard text entry seems to be required (entering character name, entering a saved game name, etc.)

Not sure what keyboard you have but if it's got a driver to it I recommend updating. Make sure your windows patches are up to date and that all of your hardware drivers are installed and good to go.

If this doesn't work the best advice I can offer you is to go into Steam and do a check on files to ensure everything is clean. If it reports clean, Uninstall and re-install the game after a reboot. I would also try disabling any local firewall and virus scanning program you might have installed for a short while to test.

Good Luck, let us know if there's more to this we can help with...or if you try the above and it still doesn't work.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the file check and reinstall after I explore this idea: Can anybody tell me if I am expected to type something before clicking 'Name' during creation, and before clicking on 'Save' in a save game slot? Since my screens are corrupted (see OP), am I not seeing a box or place to type in?
    edited December 2013
    The Save button is NOT disabled for me. Since I don't see a place to type, I clicked the Save button on the third save slot, hoping that it would then give me a place to type a save name or description. Same with the Name button during creation. I clicked through all the other buttons to setup my character and that left the Name button to click on and then interact with, just as how the other categories had worked. I never see a Done button, as it never gets that far.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Gate70 said:

No wireless keyboard or hotkeys software?

Wireless keyboards are nice, unless, well, every time I hit the bluetooth with the bluetooth mouse, the computer, who is jerking weirdo, goes Kernel Panic. It is something I try to avoid, but being near the monitor (yeah, I use an external keyboard with a Mac Book, I am another weirdo...) bothers me even more.
    Uninstalling and reinstalling BG2 has fixed both the crashes, plus it got rid of the corrupted graphics. Sweet! I can now enjoy the game!!! Thanks to everybody who offered assistance!!
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @Patch61: Glad we could help. Goign to move the thread to Not a problem now.