Skip to content

Black Pits - Dogar and Kazon (Floating Lich Skulls)

theOtherGuytheOtherGuy Member Posts: 19
Used the default party. Wasn't really prepared for constant Imprisonments and I only seem to be doing 1-2 damage to them. I can't even get past "Barely Injured" before my entire party gets imprisoned.

Am I at a roadblock if my characters weren't setup to defeat them (all mages with Spell Immunity or something).?

Comments

• theOtherGuytheOtherGuy Member Posts: 19
    I only have two characters that can cast Spell Immunity, the Sorceress and the Bard, but none of them can damage the guys. There aren't even any +5 weapons in the store...
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Melf's meteors are +6
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Demi-liches only have low HP but pretty high damage resistance. You'll almost never do more than 3 damage to one. +4 weapons should be able to hit them adequately.

I don't know if there's a ring of the Ram or protection from undead scrolls in BP2 (not had a chance to play through yet) but either of these should help.
    Ran out of gold as I didn't expect those Demilicch Skulls to be so annoying. Currently grinding out some gold from those Fallen Angel thingies. I'll report back when I can figure something out. :(
    edited December 2013
    Attempting the 1 damage hits with Spell Immunity, but the Howl attack is instant killing those that immune to Imprisonmet. :(

Also, there are no Melf Meteor or Protection Undead scrolls in the store. Did you guys do the Black Pits?
    nope :c It's just based on my experience with regular demi liches. But I will soon!

As a sorceress you would have to have picked the spell on level up, unless you want to cast it exactly once

I think Death Ward will block the Howl.
    Guess I didn't learn it.

I have Comet and Dragon's Breath, but they're always "Spell Ineffective."
    Oh, if you have HLAs, how about energy blades?

Or Shapeshift?

Demiliches are highly resistant to magic to the point where they're more or less immune so weapons are the best way to kill them.
    I just tried Shapeshift (Greater Wolfwere), and "Weapon Ineffective." Also tried Energy Blades, also "Weapon Ineffective."
    Greater Wolfwere is +1, you want one of the elementals or iron golem (+4). But Energy Blades should work, they're +5. Maybe he had a protection spell up?

and I forgot mention it earlier, but a Star Control reference in Baldur's Gate! awesome!!
    edited December 2013
    Odd, tried Energy Blades again, doing 1 damage a hit, but it'll heal up all the damage each time, so I can't get them under "Barely Injured."

Same thing with Shapeshieft. Tried the Iron Golem approach. Can't do more than 1 damage a hit and they heal up. Eventually, Spell Immunity wore off and I lost.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Dude, just Ctrl+y the fuckers, or CLUAConsole one or two melf minute meteor scroll. If cheese is wrong that's valid to both sides, dafuq where the devs with their heads when they make this chapter: "hey, take this stick and go poke those demi-liches there, will be fun!"

I can't even solo BP2 besides using an Kensai/Mage, and even then i have to cheat, cos old fights doesn't give XP in BP2, which means that after the dual class i'm kinda fucked.
    Yeah, this is starting to piss me off. Like the 1st Black Pits was doable, it was nice. This time, I beat Throne of Bhaal last night and was like, "Oh I can finish Black Pits Part 2 in a day." Nope... I'm ready to smash my keyboard.
    FINALLY MOTHER FUCKER.

Mostly used Nano's tips.

This is how I looked being stupid at this game.

- Zeris (Default Blade)
    Grinded a little bit of gold, bought him a Burning Earth +1 Long Sword (THAC0 +1, +4 vs. undead) and a Cuthroat (THAC0 +4)
    Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise (THAC0 +1)
    Helm of Balduran (THAC0 +1)
    1x Spell of Immunity Scroll
    1x Shapeshifter Scroll
    2x charges of Avoid Death

- Tyras (Default Berserker)
    Doesn't matter, as long as he has Enrage

- Mireille (Default Sorcerer)
    6x charges of Energy Blade
    Spell of Immunity Scroll

1. Spell of Immunity: Abjuration on Mireille, Enrage on Tyras, Shapshifter on Zeris (a lot of retrying to make sure any three of them don't get Howled or Imprisoned), throw everyone else at the two Demi-lich Skulls. Had to cast the scrolls separate, because if your focus isn't on the character using the Scroll, you lose the option to click which school to make you immune as.
    2. After they're done casting, get Tyras tanking the two Demi-lich Skulls. I think Enrage prevents being Imprisoned, not sure if it prevents Howl because he eventually died.
    3. As soon as you do that, use the Scoll of Immunity for Zeris, so now they're both immune. While Zeris is casting, have Mireille use Energy Blades.
    4. Have Zeris use Avoid Death and target the Demi-lich. At this point, my Tyras died already, so it was just Zeris tanking.
    5. Keep having Mireille chuck Energy Blades and recasting it, I needed at least 5 of them. Zeris was doing 1 damage a hit with the weapons I bought.
    6. Use another Avoid Death so it doesn't wear off I think (not sure if it actually stacks or not, maybe 1 would of lasted the whole fight).
    7. Because I also wasn't sure, eventually turn him into a Iron Golem. Should still be Immune to Imprisonment, but being an Iron Golem appears to cover Howl.
    8. Eventually took them down...
    Congrats! Looking forward to playing through myself, though this fight sounds like a pain.
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    I just want to point out that one cast of Melf's isn't nearly enough to kill a demilich (my experience with Kangaxx). You will need at least 4 or Energy Blades. Demiliches are also immune to spells from level 9 and below so there is no point in casting anything on them.
  • acw18acw18 Member Posts: 62
    This was a real tough fight if you aren't prepared. I don't suppose you have a berserker? (Not familiar with the default party). I basically soloed this with my berserker. I gave her all my +4 weapons with improved haste etc. then had her berserk. One berserk wasn't enough time to kill them both so I had to kill 1 of the liches with berserk, meanwhile my Druid and sorcerer were summoning endless amounts of monsters to give the last lich something to imprison while my berserker beat him down.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Given their very poor selection of attacks, I think they're one of the easiest battles. Just make sure you're protected against the two attacks they have.
  • SerpionSerpion Member Posts: 67
    Implosions (Cleric HLA) works very well on them :)
    Serpion said:

Aren't demiliches immune to all spell levels? Why does implosion work on them?
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    nano said:

Serpion said:

Awesome bluntdamage?
  • SerpionSerpion Member Posts: 67
    nano said:

Serpion said:

I don't know exactly :) I just cast 2xImplosions and one demilich became dead ^_^ Probably blunt damage or demilich isn't immune to 7+ lvl spells
    Implosion is a HLA.
    Implosion is a HLA.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    I would suggest Power Word Kill too, considering you were able to cast 5 Energy Blades, you might as well use the former for a faster way to deal damage. I believe it would take 2 for each one demi-lich. On another playthrough but maybe with a thief that time around, HLA Spike Traps deal huge damage. Tried Dragon's Breath, odd the spell hardly ever works in BP2; although maybe it's because I only started using in Stage 4 when enemies are made to be immune idk - never mind that, my cheesy F/M with Crom and Time Stop and GW can wipeout most of the enemies in one go. And in case you don't know for every match you can ask for 2 special items from the audience, just repeat each until you get 2. You'll have some +5 items before you reach Demi-lich match.
  • AffinityAffinity Member Posts: 5
    The Spectral brand works quite well against them (no resistance to the 1d6 cold damage). One rage, and 3 whirlwinds was enough to finish them off. The rest of my team just hung back and watched my fighter clean them both up.
    Serpion said:

nano said:

Serpion said:

I don't know exactly :) I just cast 2xImplosions and one demilich became dead ^_^ Probably blunt damage or demilich isn't immune to 7+ lvl spells
    They're supposed to be immune to every spell level, from 1 to 9. I think Implosion counts as 7. I believe that you pulled it off, just trying to figure out why it worked.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited December 2013
    They're not immune to cold dmg? Sometimes it is beyond understanding to what they are immune and what not. Shouldn't have they been more resistant to cold being well, already cold dead or undead rather? They are immune to some spells and not immune to others. But in my case, drow mage Gezz helped me figure out the PWK.

As an off-topic, add portraits to other gladiators and add more character (I mean, A LOT MORE) to the characters. Sadly, I couldn't share mine here because of copyright issues.
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    Illustair said:

They're not immune to cold dmg? Sometimes it is beyond understanding to what they are immune and what not. Shouldn't have they been more resistant to cold being well, already cold dead or undead rather? They are immune to some spells and not immune to others. But in my case, drow mage Gezz helped me figure out the PWK.

As an off-topic, add portraits to other gladiators and add more character (I mean, A LOT MORE) to the characters. Sadly, I couldn't share mine here because of copyright issues.

Ice storms probably deals physical damage as it should.
    nano said:

Serpion said:

nano said:

Serpion said:

They're supposed to be immune to every spell level, from 1 to 9. I think Implosion counts as 7. I believe that you pulled it off, just trying to figure out why it worked.
    Implosion is a HLA, i.e. a "quest" level spell. I haven't tested but I think it's quite possible it might work on them. Note that Death spell does not affect the elemental summoning quest level summons, for example.