Skip to content

Who Does this

the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
edited January 2014 in Off-Topic
It got me to thinking that I usually spend more time debating on these forums than I do on Facebook with my 'other' friends. I got to wondering if I was the outlier or of others were doing the same. So, share your obsessions. Or merely chime in and let's discuss.
  1. Who Does this102 votes
    1. Spends more time here than on Facebook (or other Social Media/forums)
      35.29%
    2. Spends more time on FB or other Social Media than here.
        6.86%
    3. Spends more time playing BG than on any Social media
      30.39%
    4. Doesn't even play BG, but just hangs out here because of the people
        5.88%
    5. Just show me the results
      21.57%
Post edited by Dee on

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I don't have a Facebook or anything else, so it's pretty clear. I do spend to much time here though, and until recently when I got bg2ee, probably more time than on bg.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I love BG and want to talk about it all the time, but most of my friends don't want to listen to me. So I think it's natural to seek out a community that shares my interests! That said I don't use facebook much.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    I definitely spend more time here theorycrafting than playing because I can do this from my phone anywhere, while I need time away from wife and kids and work to play...
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I've probably spent more time cropping portraits and putting together sound sets than playing though...
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited January 2014
    nano said:

I love BG and want to talk about it all the time, but most of my friends don't want to listen to me. So I think it's natural to seek out a community that shares my interests! That said I don't use facebook much.

@nano, this. Usually goes:
    Meagloth: hey [megloth's friend] you should get bg so we can do multi player!
    Meagloths friend: attacks meagloth
    Meagloth: eeep! *runs away*
    :P
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    LOL. Yeah, whenever I mention BG to any of my friends, I get 'That look'. you know the one that says "Why don't you Grow up." Followed by them watching a Sponge Bob Marathon with their kids.

My Wife totally doesn't get the game or the genre, nor any clue why I want to escape the 'Real world' and go play in a fantasy one. Go figure...

Plus, there is so much more that goes on here. I have had some really intensely interesting discussions on the nature of religion and good and evil. I have had discussions about characters and ideology. I have had debates with some really interesting and intelligent folks here. I honestly hope that my IQ has been raised a few points through learning from everyone here.
  • KastionKastion Member Posts: 44
    I spend more time on here than elsewhere and I like it that way. I like my dork-dens. I just joined the site but already do more here just reading and screwing around as I'm not much into the social media scene. I'd like to learn how to mod as well as I love creating characters.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    But I am on here quite a bit.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    The only reason I have facebook at all is that people from my university are too limited to use other means of communicating any important news. So naturally, I'm more often here.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I tend to have both open when the computer's running, so... not enough options, @the_spyder ;)
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I don't have any "social media" accounts, so it's easy to be on here more. I'm not going to have my personal communications scanned so I can get spammed. Got my own mail server, too, so I don't have google reading all my email. At least since the NSA leaks, I appear a little less paranoid than I did a year ago.

A friend was nagging me about getting on facebook, and I told him "I'll give you two good reasons. My Dad and your Dad."
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I don't even have a Facebook account.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    I spend more time gaming than I do here, so that was almost the option I selected. But I thought it was more in keeping with the original question to say I spend the vast majority of my on-line time writing/hosting a blog devoted to my favorite television show (Chuck). Maybe not quite a "social media" site, but certainly an on-line community and a major time sink!
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I prefer this forum over facebook, because if I said half the things on facebook that I do here, I would have no friends, my girlfriend would leave me and my parents would disown me.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    this forum is my FB =p

I hardly play BG anymore. It's fun supporting such an important game from my childhood though which is why I bought the EEs and hang out here =)
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited January 2014
    I tried out the social media sites for a while, but found they are not for me. I've always had a fair amount of friends and was well-liked in high school, but have always felt a bit socially awkward. Forums like these I feel much more comfortable and at home, maybe because its easier to express myself anonymously, and there are a lot more like-minded gamers like me on sites like these than on Facebook. :)
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I live under a stone where I play BG all day.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    I have a facebook account, but don't really use it for chatting.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited January 2014
    Facebook is a fishing hook, baited with the possibility of human contact. They're fishing for you because they want all the details of your life in order to sell you crap you don't need or actually want. If I want to talk to my friends I'll send a text message and meet them at the pub.

It's also a way to disqualify yourself from a lot of jobs. Even with privacy settings turned up some of those embarassing pictures have a way of making it into the wilds of Google.

To my shame I have an account, but it just gets used as a photo dropbox for friends and a way to contact people who're out of the country.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I dislike social media and don't use any of them (though I do use YouTube, which is considered a social medium, but which I just use to watch videos and very rarely leave a comment).

What worries me most, I spend much more time:
    - wondering what game I'll start up,
    - reading on forums about games,
    - buying games in sales,
    - planning playthroughs,
    - sorting downloaded games,
    - scanning for mods,
    - seeing my backlog grow
    instead of actually playing.
  • AntagonistAntagonist Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2014
    @Son_of_Imoen I saw that going differently in my mind. More like:

"What worries me most......

...instead of taking interest in my real life"

Maybe it's just me growing too old? No offense though.
    Meh. :D

Anyway, I just realized I dumped Facebook the moment I found this forum a couple days ago. Is this normal?
    Post edited by Antagonist on
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Surely the first two poll options would cover basically everyone?

Other than the very unlikely outcome of spending exactly the same time on these forums as on FB/other social media, people must spend more time on one than the other.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Considering how I don't really use any social media... I do pretty much anything more than spend time on them.
    edited January 2014

@Son_of_Imoen I saw that going differently in my mind. More like:

"What worries me most......

...instead of taking interest in my real life"

Maybe it's just me, growing too old? No offense though.
    Meh. :D

Actually, real life worries me the most: climate change, peak oil, peak Son_of_Imoen mental energy, so many things I want to do and so easily crossing the limits of what I'm able to do with the limited energy I have.

Gaming's a nice way to step out of real life worries, but gives it own worries of taking too much time and gnawing at night's sleep.

Once I start worrying it's hard to stop, even on medication, it's just what life is like with a mental illness like mine.

*edit: spelling error and no offense taken.

• AntagonistAntagonist Member Posts: 139
    Yeah I think I kinda know what you're talking about.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    i've always been a gamer first and foremost and that will most likely never change :D!
    edited January 2014

Yeah I think I kinda know what you're talking about.

Your avatar-baby sure looks worried enough ;-)

*edit: so does my avatar :-(

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    btw, I just want to say well done @the_spyder for adding the option "just show me the results".
    Every poll should have that choice!