Skip to content

Blade Spell Selection

So I'm running through the game and since we only get so many spells per spell level, I was curious what other blades used in their slots? I'm aware stoneskin and mirror image get pretty high regards but what about the rest of it?

Comments

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    vampiric touch comes in handy if you're not evil and for later levels, even when it hit magic resistance you still get the HP bonus, chromatic orb, spook, blindness was good on the old game, where doom (lvl 1 priest spell) had instant cast, now it's not that good.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Every Blade's favorite, Tenser's Transformation. Minor Globe of Invulnerability is a good one to protect from a lot of lower level spells like fireball and melf's acid arrow. It's not a bad idea to have some protection stripping spells like breach, dispel magic, etc. Since Blades are rogues and level quicker, they get insane casting levels, so their anti-magic spells have great chances to tear through defenses. This also makes it worth having maybe 1 skull trap memorized. The damage output from it will be higher than a mage, since their caster levels tend to be a few levels ahead of what a mage would be.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    Protection from magic weapons is good. Mislead is great as long as there is no True Seeing spammer around. Because they level so fast animate dead becomes a good spell pretty fast. Spell immunity would probably come in handy. Breach to strip protected mages. Blur helps.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Spell Immunity!!
  • BronxHBronxH Member Posts: 18
    Polimorph Self is also nice, you can use your O/D Spins in Jelly (100% magic res) or Spider (6APR+poison) forms.

Generally protection spells needed and buffs: Tenser, PfMW, PfME, SI, Fire Shield, Imroved Haste, Improved Invis, Globe spells.
  • KastionKastion Member Posts: 44
    Thanks everyone. This is helping a lot!
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    Whatever else you choose, don't forget Breach. It's basically the most important spell in the game.
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    Level 2: Mirror Image
    Level 3: Dispel and Remove Magic
    Level 4: Stone Skin
    Level 5: Spell Immunity
    Level 6: PFMW

But this holds only if you have other mages in group, who can cast spell like Web, Secret Word, True Sight etc.
  • syllogsyllog Member Posts: 158
    edited January 2014
    Shocking Grasp (caps at higher damage than MM; ignores MR, Stoneskin, and Spell protections [Note: lightning damage])
    Spook (+6 save penalty)
    Ghoul Touch (with save debuff and high APR this can be very dangerous when in a party)
    Web (with polymorph or any invulnerability globe = CC & instant hits; webs stack - put 'em in a sequencer)
    Remove Magic (high level as bard)
    Minute Meteors (one of best spells for damage and spell interruption (fire bypasses stoneskin); in unmodded game can hit any creatures [treated as +6 enchantment])
    Vampiric Touch (very high damage & health buff (nominal avg: 21); no attack required [Note: spell is bugged and repeates often - causing extra damage and/or giving extra health :/])
    Polymorph (BG1: bear = 4attacks @ 18/00; BG2: Spider + ImpHaste = web immunity +8 attacks w/ Poison (ignores stoneskin); Jelly = 100% Magic and Missile Resitance + Very High elemental resistances and piercing resistance)
    Greater Malison (if you use web or Ghoul Touch; or to synergize with another caster [quick CC])
    Minor Sequencer (last indefinitely - excellent for attack (double spook or web), excellent for defense (blur + mirror image), etc.) [...double Ray of Enfeeblement on someone with heavy armor or dragon because it's funny...]
    Spell Immunity (because spell immunity)
    Chaos (because Chaos; Note: affected won't use spells/abilities - *cough*beholders*cough*)
    Contingency (free conditional spell; Stoneskin/Mislead when health = 1/2, Otiluke's/Dispel when disabled, ImprovedHaste when view enemy (for specific battles), etc.)
    Tenser's Transformation (double HP, Thaco of fighter of same level [can't activate abilities or cast spells after])
    Improved Haste (because 2x is a lot more than x)
    Mislead (as long as double lives: invisibility attack bonuses, save bonuses, and enemies won't target you)

I would generally leave things like Breach, True Sight, and spell protection removal to other spell casters or to scrolls.
    There are so many spells you can make unique use of because of your combat abilities that I'd prefer my slots go to those. [Though in unmodded (no SCS) game I think Breach ignores spell protections (?), which makes it a bit more useful in a striker's slots I suppose...]
    Post edited by syllog on
  • BayazBayaz Member Posts: 22
    Make sure and buy the Harp of Pandemonium