Skip to content

2 FR Upgradeable Item sets found!

LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
I know people were asking about items, that when combined together, that would become stronger. Well, I found the reference. Dragon Magazine #213- "Series Magic" These items are considered lesser artifacts. The first are the Blades of Ochir Naal, Prophet of Tiamat- these are Daggers of Throwing +2, +4 vs the Dragon of their color (they only come in the five chromatic Dragon colors- Black, Blue, Green, Red and White. When combined, 2 of them make a shortsword, three a longsword, four a broadsword and five a two-handed sword (which has never been done, except Ochir Naal himself. Two blades give the power of flight 2x day, Three makes the bearer immune to breath weapons of all three dragons whose blade types are combined, four gives access to the breath weapons of those dragons and five allows a ritual to slice open the planes and bring Tiamat to the Realms from Baator (the first plane of Hell, essentially, where Tiamat lives).

The second are the Four Ruling Rings of Yrix Alquinnar which look like (and act like) Rings of Elemental Command on their own, and when combined, allow different kinds of elementals and elementals from the Para-Elemental planes, (Smoke, Ooze, Magma, Lightning, etc.) to be summoned.

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited August 2012
    Well, don't forget the hand and eye of vecna also fall into this category

edit: I am fairly sure, even with all the pantheon changes between editions, that vecna does not just exist in greyhawk
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    ajwz said:

As well as the Head of Vecna, of course.
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    Drugar said:

ajwz said:

Not to mention the collarbone of Vecna. Veeeery puissant.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    edited August 2012
    Drugar said:

ajwz said:

I'd love a prank artifact in the game that just kills you when you use it XD
    ajwz said:

lol, wasn't that one just a prank for guliible adventurers if I remember correctly?
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    edited August 2012
    @ajwz LOL. No, Vecna has never been a part of the FR. He (and his Lieutenant Kas (aka the Sword of Kas) are Greyhawk only.

And don't forget the Baculum of Vecna (look it up!). That's very good, at, um, raising things. ;)
    ajwz said:

ajwz said:

lol, wasn't that one just a prank for guliible adventurers if I remember correctly?
    Yes it was.
    http://www.blindpanic.com/humor/vecna.htm
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I'd never heard the Head of Vecna story before. And I love it.
    It's a classic. Along with the Dread Gazebo.
    http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/98/Jul/gazebo.html
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Lol, to be fair, Gazebo really sounds like the name of some kind of demon species.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    LOL... I remember the gazebo story:) Good times! Thanks for linking that:)

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    That gazebo story is PC foolishness leading to DM griefing. DMs can abuse their power. I prefer computer role playing games because the computer can't arbitrarily make up rules on the fly or decide to make a piece of furniture hostile.
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    Gazebo is the most powerful monster in DnD it kills adventurers in 1 attack.

That gazebo story is PC foolishness leading to DM griefing. DMs can abuse their power. I prefer computer role playing games because the computer can't arbitrarily make up rules on the fly or decide to make a piece of furniture hostile.

My suggestion is to get a better DM...
    Trufax. One of the monsters in D&D was the "Living House". Smaller ones could indeed take the shape of other structures. There is an adventure in (I think) Dungeon Magazine with them.
    Another fun monster is the living ceiling which collapses on top of its victims to crush and then feed on them.
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. The Head of Vecna is real, and can be found floating around Sigil.

The best thing about D&D is DM's randomly making up rules on the fly. When your players say stuff like "I tie the holy avenger to a rope and flail it around til I hit those bastards in their damn protective circle", you need to do some quick improv. Computer games can't give you that.

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @smeagolheart
    I'd have to agree with Drugar and Communard on this one. By the same token that DMs can completely screw you over arbitrarily, they can also allow you to swing on a chandelier and kick an ogre into a huge fireplace with a roaring fire in it. Why, not long ago I let a player one-shot the current Big Bad because he creatively readied an action to shoot the boss while said boss was holding a primed explosive over a crate of other explosives. KABOOM!
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Tbh the DM in the gazebo story showed remarkable retraint. That level of player density is just asking for it...
    @Corvino This is true. When I was younger, someone let me see a printed list (off a listserv on the Internet, I think) with the famous last words of adventurers from all sorts of different games. My personal favorite is from the Paranoia game. "A Communist sticker on the Warbot? I shoot it off!" There was also "I take a big step back..." (when standing in the back of a 5' by 5' elevator), "I crash my starship into his to make him back off..." "I stab the dragon and roll it off me." "I grab the potion marked POISON and drink it on the off chance it's a potion of Extra Healing." "What do you mean, a Pentagram has only FIVE sides?" "He hit me for HOW MUCH?!?!" "Quick! How do you UNSUMMON a Demon Lord?" "You're all a bunch of wimps!! I'll prove to you myself that an entire orc stronghold is no match for your average barbarian." "All right, we're in an unexplored dungeon in total darkness with no light sources or infravision...Hey, I know!! Let's yell and scream a lot so we can locate each other by sound!!"

"No, I'm sure there's some stipulation that says a disintegrate spell won't work if the spellcaster casts it on himself. Here, I'll prove it."
    And one of the best ones, especially relevant to these message boards, "You racist! They're elves! Who cares if they're black?"
    @FrozenDervish Trapper?
    @LadyRhian the lurker
    @FrozenDervish Ah, yes. I used to love Piercers, too. One never sees them in the games, though.
    LadyRhian said:

@ajwz LOL. No, Vecna has never been a part of the FR. He (and his Lieutenant Kas (aka the Sword of Kas) are Greyhawk only.

And don't forget the Baculum of Vecna (look it up!). That's very good, at, um, raising things. ;)

But they planes are universal between all settings. So for example lloth and her minions live on her own plane of the abyss and are accessible to both settings.
    In the same way, vecna has his own demiplane, one I think on carceri?
    and so while he isn't in the FR pantheons per se, he still exists in the sense that there is intrigue and quests surrounding him in the forgotten realms. The book of vile darkness for example is stated to have vecna as one of the primary contributers.
    @ajwz Okay, BG2 does have the Robe of Vecna, but I have never really heard of him being connected to the setting before. The last published 2e adventure back in 2000 was Die, Vecna, Die, and it had him sent to Ravenloft (from Greyhawk). And after that, he got his demiplane. I know that there is a conversion for characters who worship deities of Greyhawk in FR, and Vecna is replaced by either Cyric, Shar or Velsharoon. At best, there are things which mimic parts of Vecna in the Realms, like the Hand and Eye that are the only parts left of the mortal form of the God Myrkul (along with part of his consciousness left in "The Crown of Thorns"), and there's "The Hand of Vaprak" God of the Ogres, but as far as actual Vecna and Kas, they don't exist and have never existed in the Realms AFAIK.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I believe the Robe of Vecna is included as a link to the Planescape setting, as it is sold by a vendor with multiple items referencing Planescape: Torment.
    @Corvino Ah. I was never able to play Planescape: Torment (always been a Mac user), so I didn't catch that.
    edited August 2012
    LadyRhian said:

@Corvino Ah. I was never able to play Planescape: Torment (always been a Mac user), so I didn't catch that.

You've never played the greatest RPG story of all time?! Get Boot Camp or something, this is an outrage! :p