Skip to content

Aerie as a Vampire

Comments

• belascobelasco Member Posts: 18
    If her vampiric regeneration gave Aerie her wings back, I think that would be pretty cool - kind of a dark angel.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited January 2014

It would also be bizarre to see the sillier comic relief characters (Edwin, Minsc, Jan) have major corruptible/redeemable paths. Butt-kicking for Evil?

Maybe there could be some alternate reality adventure where evil Minsc has Edwin's beard?

Coutelier said:

Fredjo said:

So unless you are roleplaying an evil character that wants to corrupt Aerie, then I don't see how it might work.

Corruption is all Aerie deserves after prince-syndrome-ing CHARNAME into making her babies
    Yes; if only CHARNAME could have had anything at all to do with it.
    I found that... 'development', quite a surprise. I thought their relationship had only got 'physical' quite recently, and then... BAM!... "What do you think of Quayle? ... As a name... for a boy?"

I guess Aerie misunderstood when Charname asked if she had taken the precaution of using protections.

Poor Aerie must've just cast Protection from Evil and Bless around the bed.
    Yeah; you should have checked for yourself. All it takes is one time, although I don't know what other protection exists in FR. At least you know no evil sperm made it in.
  • RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
    Frankly, not having CN Anomem stuck with ridiculous wannabe paladin voiceset would already be good enough.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    @Coutelier
    My dad used to tell me:
    "In the days of old, when knights were bold, and rubbers weren't invented, the men wrapped socks around their *****, and babies were prevented."
    He's weird.
    jackjack said:

@Coutelier
    My dad used to tell me:
    "In the days of old, when knights were bold, and rubbers weren't invented, the men wrapped socks around their *****, and babies were prevented."
    He's weird.

Oh... cocks! Sorry, there's a cockerel outside and it's annoying me.

Anyway, I can't imagine a sock would be that effective.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    What is overlooked regarding Sarevok is that he loses the evil essence, which was a big part of his motivations. In that case, a shift from evil to good makes sense; it's a classic redemption story. Others don't have that background.

Valygar would make sense insofar that he takes his hatred for magic too far and goes all out on purging the country of mages, regardless of their actions. However, he would not only have to switch alignments, but also his class. Rangers can't even be neutral and I guess we can all agree that a fallen ranger, as interesting as it would be for character development, would be even less appealing than Cernd. Valygar would, based on stats and personal items, probably become an assassin, which would be nice. I just think that would be more complex than a "normal" alignment change.
  • AnprionsaAnprionsa Member Posts: 106
    belasco said:

If her vampiric regeneration gave Aerie her wings back, I think that would be pretty cool - kind of a dark angel.

I would securely like to see this regardless of whether she was a vampire or not.
    koawinter said:

belasco said:

I would securely like to see this regardless of whether she was a vampire or not.
    Apart from the mechanical and technical I foresee in having a flying party member, I've always that it's a key part of her development to find her own, new identity and let go of the old one. Which obviously you help her with if you romance and get her through her little bout with depression, or else just quietly works it out on her own. Possibly Suldanessellar has convinced her she no longer fits in with other elves, yet alone avariel. Either way, by the end of SoA she's no longer that bothered about her wings... she may even turn down an offer to restore them in ToB.

She could have wished for them I suppose, but no one in their right mind would ever do a thing like that. Djinn really don't like it.
  • OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    Coutelier said:

Fredjo said:

So unless you are roleplaying an evil character that wants to corrupt Aerie, then I don't see how it might work.

Corruption is all Aerie deserves after prince-syndrome-ing CHARNAME into making her babies
    Maybe it's because it's 1:30 in the morning, but I don't understand what you mean here.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I believe the tongue was firmly in cheek there.
    Onestep said:

Coutelier said:

Fredjo said:

Maybe it's because it's 1:30 in the morning, but I don't understand what you mean here.
    It... takes two to tango?
    jackjack said:

You misunderstand. I don't get it all. As in, I'm literally lost. The tongue may be in cheek, but the head is buried under sand.

My best guess is that the joke is that Aerie maaaaaaybe should have, y'know, taken precautions to ensure that kind of thing didn't happen. Or at least asked CHARNAME.

But then again, this is Aerie, who despite being an epic level Cleric and traveling in a party with more money than God, somehow can't think to cast Regenerate on her wings.
    Onestep said:

jackjack said:

You misunderstand. I don't get it all. As in, I'm literally lost. The tongue may be in cheek, but the head is buried under sand.

My best guess is that the joke is that Aerie maaaaaaybe should have, y'know, taken precautions to ensure that kind of thing didn't happen. Or at least asked CHARNAME.

But then again, this is Aerie, who despite being an epic level Cleric and traveling in a party with more money than God, somehow can't think to cast Regenerate on her wings.
    Or CHARNAME could have taken precautions, even though the game doesn't give that as an option. The point is that it does take two people to make a baby and Aerie doesn't force you into doing anything. If she does, you have more serious problems anyway.

And obviously she has cast rengerate on herself, at least I've her do it. It didn't work.
    edited January 2014
    Coutelier said:

Onestep said:

jackjack said:

Or CHARNAME could have taken precautions, even though the game doesn't give that as an option. The point is that it does take two people to make a baby and Aerie doesn't force you into doing anything. If she does, you have more serious problems anyway.

And obviously she has cast rengerate on herself, at least I've her do it. It didn't work.
    Yeah, but it should. Regenerate can explicitly return lost limbs. And if that doesn't work, then a Wish spell should absolutely be enough.

And I honestly don't mind the whole Aerie baby thing. I's quite sweet, and fits the dynamic of Aerie's incredibly pure, almost fairy tale like romance well.
    Onestep said:

Coutelier said:

Onestep said:

jackjack said:

Yeah, but it should. Regenerate can explicitly return lost limbs. And if that doesn't work, then a Wish spell should absolutely be enough.

And I honestly don't mind the whole Aerie baby thing. I's quite sweet, and fits the dynamic of Aerie's incredibly pure, almost fairy tale like romance well.
    Don't know enough about avariel wings really. My guess is that avariel are elves who have been 'magically engineered', and the wings aren't exactly a true part of their anatomy.

And as for Wish, although it takes a high WIS, no one with a high WIS ever would. Especially not for anything like that; Djinn are notoriously grumpy about these things.
    Coutelier said:

Onestep said:

Coutelier said:

Onestep said:

jackjack said:

Don't know enough about avariel wings really. My guess is that avariel are elves who have been 'magically engineered', and the wings aren't exactly a true part of their anatomy.

And as for Wish, although it takes a high WIS, no one with a high WIS ever would. Especially not for anything like that; Djinn are notoriously grumpy about these things.
    It's just a matter of wording. With a high enough WIS, you can get a Djinn to do most anything. I mean, CHARNAME likely used Wish a whole bunch of times, if only to restore his spells, or get a quest.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    To be honest, I'd love to see Aerie regain her wings. I'd guess the real reason she cannot is because Bioware didn't have time to implement it, with the extra lines of conversation that'd require.
    Onestep said:

Coutelier said:

Onestep said:

Coutelier said:

Onestep said:

jackjack said:

It's just a matter of wording. With a high enough WIS, you can get a Djinn to do most anything. I mean, CHARNAME likely used Wish a whole bunch of times, if only to restore his spells, or get a quest.
    It's one of those times where you do have to separate gameplay from story. I mean, you can resurrect people in your party as often as you need to, but you can't resurrect anyone else who dies (well, one time you can, or someone else can). Why not solve everything by using Wish? Just wish for Sarevok to have never existed and end the whole saga.
    edited January 2014
    Coutelier said:

Onestep said:

Coutelier said:

Onestep said:

Coutelier said:

Onestep said:

jackjack said:

It's one of those times where you do have to separate gameplay from story. I mean, you can resurrect people in your party as often as you need to, but you can't resurrect anyone else who dies (well, one time you can, or someone else can). Why not solve everything by using Wish? Just wish for Sarevok to have never existed and end the whole saga.
    Yeah, Wish does actually have limits, both in BG and P&P. Try and Wish for something too great, and you'll die, or the spell will just flat out not work. But regenerating a missing limb isn't anywhere near that point. But it's fine. It's obviously for gameplay convenience.
    Onestep said:

Coutelier said:

Onestep said:

Coutelier said:

Onestep said:

Coutelier said:

Onestep said:

jackjack said:

Yeah, Wish does actually have limits, both in BG and P&P. Try and Wish for something too great, and you'll die, or the spell will just flat out not work. But regenerating a missing limb isn't anywhere near that point.
    Apparently it is, at least in the case of these wings. I guess only Aerdrie Faenya can give her wings back.

jackjack said:

What if Aerie never had wings and is just manipulating CHARNAME into artificially sympathizing with her "plight"? That would explain why restoration doesn't fix them.

Ask Haer'Dalis - she isn't that good an actress.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    The real reason why Aerie can't regain her wings is because they couldn't figure out how to put a flying character in the game. All it would have taken is a Regenerate spell, and even if you handwaved it that 'too much time had passed' since they were chopped, a WIsh spell would still work. Easy-peasy.

As for corruptable characters... Nalia and Valygar would be the two I see most 'easily' corrupted. Nalia's desire to pursue power and Valygar's hatred of magic could easily be twisted by a crueler CHARNAME, and both of them can be suddenly naive when it comes down to (Nalia's thinking that the poor adore her rather then resent her, Valygar being surprised that a mage isn't utterly irredeemable). Both could also use more content. If I was writing a 'corrupt a character' mod/quest, I would almost definitely use one of them. Or both, for that matter. Write it as a really twisted romance mod, perhaps.

Anomen is a whole 'nother story. If I had been the DM of Baldur's Gate, I would have ruled him going CN straight to evil (though I'd allow player input on whether it was CE or NE) after he slaughtered Aerie or Keldorn (or god forbid, both of them). If rules were implemented, the shock of losing his cleric powers and ties to Helm when he fell to CN along with his lifelong dream and his family could easily send him over the edge to evil, too, even before he starts attacking people at random. I'm honestly unsure how you can call him CN after killing Keldorn/Aerie- he's clearly in possession of his sanity, so the insanity defense isn't going to work. He's just gotten cruel and horrid (if interesting).
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited January 2014
    Twani said:

The real reason why Aerie can't regain her wings is because they couldn't figure out how to put a flying character in the game. All it would have taken is a Regenerate spell, and even if you handwaved it that 'too much time had passed' since they were chopped, a WIsh spell would still work. Easy-peasy.

@Twani
    I thought of that too. But I don't think that's a good reason. We see dragons and Tanar'ri in the game, clearly winged creatures capable of flight.

Just because they can fly, doesn't mean the game needs to let them. So I still think it's just a time/resources issue and that they never quite finished some parts of BG 2, which is a shame, cos it's already a great game, but it does have a few annoying loose ends.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Anyone else think its cruel how Haer-Dalis keeps talking about birds in front of a girl who lost her wings?
    Twani said:

I disagree, just because it would be a rather boring world if that were really the case (I mean in terms of story telling, drama, excitement etc). I like being reminded that there are limits.

Besides, by the time she's powerful enough to do all that, she doesn't really care that much.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    This is major spoilers for TOB-

*beep beep beep*

- Is it normally allowed, or is it Ascension added that you can gift Aerie back her wings with your god essence at the ToB final? I know my characters have gotten the option, but I don't know if it's always there or if it was added with Ascension, as I always play with Ascension. She accepts if your character is good, and turns it down if they're evil, IIRC.

@Coutlier

It is sort of boring, from a story perspective. But by the rules of D&D, it's definitely allowed. You can regenerate anything with Regenerate, and Wish can do anything- Wish can stop geases, restore all your spells, imitate almost any spell even ones of barred schools for you, so it can certainly give a girl back her wings.
    Coutelier said:

Twani said:

I disagree, just because it would be a rather boring world if that were really the case (I mean in terms of story telling, drama, excitement etc). I like being reminded that there are limits.

Besides, by the time she's powerful enough to do all that, she doesn't really care that much.
    Technically, by P&P, Faerun really is that kind of world. In fact, I recall in one of the official novels, a rich wizard was killed, with only his finger left. And he could still have been raised from just that. If you're rich and powerful enough, death is a temporary inconvenience.

And even then, magic in modern Faerun is tame compared to what it was. There was once a mage powerful enough to steal control of the Weave from the Goddess of Magic.