Skip to content

The patch has broken the first BG EE game for me

I downloaded the first BG EE right after it was released and it played smoothly and perfectly on my computer. I didn't play it again after finishing it so I never had the patch.

I bought BGII EE when it came out and have been having massive problems with slowdowns as the game slows to a crawl to the point it takes about ten seconds for an arrow to fly across the screen during a battle and this is during very small battles without any graphical intensity. It can take a character up to a full minute to walk from one side of the screen to the other. Eventually someone figured out a workaround where you dumb down your computer with lower resolution and running it in Window's 98 mode and the game works though the fuzzy graphics are annoying.

So anyway back to BGI EE. I decided to go back and start from the beginning and applied the new patch which I never had before. Now BGI is suffering from the same slowdown problems BG II had only tenfold. Even the mouse speed is dragging and I have it set to max speed. I repeat BGI worked just fine for me before the patch.

How can I make the patch go away?

Comments

• chiasmchiasm Member Posts: 23
    Oh yeah, I'm running this on Windows.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Unless you are able to update your drivers or hardware, you will be stuck with what you have.

You cannot make the patch go away. Like any other digital download service, you have the choice of installing only the latest version. The only way to revert would be to create a copy of the game directory prior to updating so that you could delete the directory containing updated game and copy back the old version.

Useless information now, I'm afraid.

I was looking at a topic you made back in November with the specifications. As best I can tell, the HP Pavilion a6620f uses integrated graphics as standard. I assume you are running the most up to date (and compatible) version of nVidia's drivers if you are now using a GeForce 8400GS? Can you indicate what driver version you are currently using (you should be able to find it on the splash/introduction page when the control panel launches, or via the 'System Information' link under the list to the left side), and what Windows operating system you are running (XP, Vista, 7, 8, 32-bit, or 64-bit)?
    Driver version 311.06

Supposedly that is up to date according to an auto update I just tried.
    Well maybe not. Nvidia at first told me that was the current driver but a second scan says there is an update, 332.21, which I'm trying to get downloaded now (its keeps crashing). If I can get it downloaded I'll see how things go.
    Ok got the update finally installed and initially it seems to have worked. Didn't have time to play for more than 30 seconds but things on BG1 look to be running smoothly whereas it was instant slowdown before. Will have to see if it helps on BGII as it tends to run smoothly for about two minutes before the slowdown happens.

Never thought to update my driver's because I thought I had it set to auto update and just assumed they were up to date. Now I feel dumb, especially if that was the issue all along.

Thanks.
    Well I think I can say conclusively that it is the patch that broke the game for some of us. Now that I've had a chance to test it out I've found that updating my driver's did help for a couple of minutes in BG1 it only lasted about the same amount of time before super slowdown as it does in BG2 (about two minutes). I made it out of the Inn and over the haystack to pick up the book for Phlydia and when suddenly everything ground to a halt. A year ago, pre patch and old driver's, the game worked fine. Now post patch its just like BG2 and completely unplayable without lowering my graphical resolution to its lowest possible setting which makes everything fuzzy.

Also tried out BG2 and made it to the first genie before the slowdown happened. Before the slowdown would happen before I even got Minsc out of his cage so it helped slightly but not enough to really matter.
  • SuccubusSuccubus Member Posts: 90
    One thing I used to do in the past (not with the EE version) is to disable hardware acceleration. That fixed the slowdowns for me.