Skip to content

How many rerolls until you settle for a class?

AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
I mean, I myself kept creating characters until I found the 'perfect' class and never could settle for one.
  1. How many rerolls until you settle for a class?138 votes
    1. 'So, I like swords so I went with the FIGTHER class' (1)
      11.59%
    2. 'But then I might like casting spells, WIZARD!' (~3)
        9.42%
    3. 'But clerics can cast spells too right?' (~7)
        4.35%
    4. 'Oh hey! Druids can cast spells and Rangers can cast spells while swording!' (~10)
        2.90%
    5. 'But so can lots of multiclasses...' (~50)
        7.25%
    6. 'WTH Dual-class??' (~127)
      10.14%
    7. OMG I HAVEN'T EVEN LEFT CANDLEKEEP YET.
      17.39%
    8. Wait, you're saying character creation isn't the entire game?
      36.96%
Post edited by Aliteri on

Comments

• The_Guilty_PartyThe_Guilty_Party Member Posts: 44
    Technically none, because I sort of obsessively plot out my party way in advance.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Took care of the other one.
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308

Technically none, because I sort of obsessively plot out my party way in advance.

Really liked the added twist to my last option.

I myself am obsessively indecisive. I remember actually rerolling over 30 times before filtering the debate to a contest between a Kensage dual, a Blade kit, a Wild Mage and a Clericage multi - each with appropriate parties planned ahead.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Ahaha epic poll :P
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Planning out a future bg run in meticulous detail is one of the activities that keeps me sane at work when I have to pretend to be doing something. I highly recommend it
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I already know what my class is going to be and adjust the stats accordingly.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    I've went crazy spending literally 45 minutes rolling before (i.e. my character Zeckul for my LP), but nowadays I go for the best of 10 rolls. If the character ends up being sub-optimal so be it, it makes the game more interesting anyway.
  • SpidersBaneSpidersBane Member Posts: 20
    I couldn't vote, because I will spend 2 hours + waiting for a good roll with 18/00 strength with a FIGHTER class even though I plan to / have memorized the location of the strength tome anyway! Hahahaha... In other words, as long as my fingers will click, I will reroll.
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    @Zeckul @SpidersBane

Pardon me, I meant 'reroll' as in making an entirely new character because you weren't satisfied with the class you chose.
    Ohhh my bad!! In that case... I tend to just make about 10 different games at the same time haha!
  • Doom972Doom972 Member Posts: 150
    I spent a lot of time creating characters for BG and NWN. These games rely on players knowing their D&D, or at least having enough patience to learn some basics before playing.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838

I'm so glad I'm not the only one ><

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

I couldn't vote, because I will spend 2 hours + waiting for a good roll with 18/00 strength with a FIGHTER class even though I plan to / have memorized the location of the strength tome anyway! Hahahaha... In other words, as long as my fingers will click, I will reroll.

HAHA! I've adopted this scheme too, awesome. The other day I rolled a 18/00 - 18 - 18 - 10 - 18 - 10 Cleric/Ranger P:
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Indecision is for the weak. Give me a suit of armor and a two-handed weapon and my travel preparations are complete.
  • GridianGridian Member Posts: 50
    Haha, my vote sais it all really :D
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
    Yeah OCD can be a terrible boon when it comes to being happy with character.
    Quartz said:

HAHA! I've adopted this scheme too, awesome. The other day I rolled a 18/00 - 18 - 18 - 10 - 18 - 10 Cleric/Ranger P:
    Hahahha that's insane! I lost my BG1 disc :( I only need it for install as I use the TOSC to actually play.. So gutted! Waiting on EE to decide whether or not I buy the original copy again or the EE
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    I know the pain too well. It's not that I don't want to play a particular class, it's that I want to play every class...
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    I tend to re-roll a lot up to a point...Its an art not a science, once Im satisfied I have the Character I want to play I move forward.....but till then I might go through a lot of false starts.
  • LRECLREC Member Posts: 68
    Until I get to 90+ total points. Spent about 30 minutes a couple of days ago until I got a respectable 92 for my BG1 mage.
  • chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208
    This is one of the best polls ever.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited August 2012
    Getting a good roll is wicked. It really makes you want to play the character, and not just toss it aside.

Knowing that you can boost each skill by at least one in BG is helpful too.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    It's the funniest thing because I always try different classes (Avenger, Stalker, Cleric/Mage) But I never get that far and end up getting extremely far with a fighter/mage. Doesn't matter what I try, that's what always happens. OF COURSE once they make a Elementalist kit (druid) then maybe that will change...
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    the game is so long that by the end i'm almost bored with the whatever great class i chose. i LOVE plotting the class and preparing my mindset for roleplaying it :D

choices, choices...
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I don't take an inordinate number of rolls, but I do want a decent character. (PC is a demigod after all.) If I'm having terrible luck with the dice, I'll sometimes use the cheat that gives all 18s and pare down to a reasonable set of scores. I prefer the feeling of rolling up the character over the cheat, though, for sure.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    i've always wondered why people talk about fighting and doing, umm, what's it called, 'stuff' in this game.....
  • MbolismMbolism Member Posts: 2
    Character creation is one of the best parts of the game. I, like Lemernis above, used to re-roll until a score of 90-92, depending on class, but usually just activate the CLUA console and max the numbers then cut it down to the 89-92 range. I hate cheating (it always ends up being not fun in short order), but this is one I make an exception on. I don't kid myself. I know I'll click for hours until I get the roll I want, so I might as well just 'cheat' and then crank it back down. Plus, this lets me create multiple characters and save them for later, or to use in a partial/full player created party.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Too many rerolls...
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    as a whole, i will say that i usually don't reroll more then 100~200 times. If i haven't gotten a good roll then, i figure the system is cheating me, exit the game, restart my computer, boot up BGT, and start to roll.

Sad thing is, everytime i've ever played pen and paper, i always roll at least 2 natural 18's, one low roll, usually around the 5-9 mark, and remaining rolls are always 12-17. I don't cheat, i just seem lucky with dice on char generation.
  • WrainWrain Member Posts: 6
    I really like to try out a lot of class / kit / party combination, and with a lot I mean all of them.
    In the end I usually play with 2 custom create pgs: I start a multyplayer game and then move the save game to the sp save folder :D
    It's the only way for to start!