Skip to content

How many rerolls until you settle for a class?

2»

Comments

• BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    Wrain said:

I really like to try out a lot of class / kit / party combination, and with a lot I mean all of them.
    In the end I usually play with 2 custom create pgs: I start a multyplayer game and then move the save game to the sp save folder :D
    It's the only way for to start!

i've deffinately done the multiplayer so i could create 2 or 3 pcs, but why move the save game? it seemed to save and work fine as it was? is something different?
  • MalbortusMalbortus Member Posts: 106
    Stat rolling is super addictive, but... ultimately leads to a character that sprints like Usain Bolt, flips like Spiderman, sways crowds like a TV preacher, owns the keys to spiritual Nirvana and post-doctored in theoretical physics at the age of 12. Besides removing much of the challenge, that kills my immersion.

So after rolling some for fun, I go for above-average, but still believable stats, i.e. between 80 and 90 total. The NPC's average out at 80 and I guess that divine blood makes you a bit better than the average adventurer.
  • SallparadiseSallparadise Member Posts: 94
    Time beyond counting is spent on making the character.
    At first you realize, well for most characters you don't need high charisma, and Imoen has a 17 charisma. But, then you realize that without an 18 charisma, you don't get all the nice extra bits and pieces and the extra reward money throughout the game.
    And then, god forbid, if you play a game as a druid or cleric. Because then you need a high wisdom, as well as a high constinution and a decently high strenght.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    as it seems so far, we are mostly slaves to character customization- in soviet baldur, the stats roll YOU!
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I'm one of those guys goes with the "but what if next roll is a 108?" thinking. Keeps me busy for hours, if not days, when creating a character.

I admit though, if I go with a non-human single class, I'll usually settle for something simple. With human single classes, there are so many options O_O
  • WrainWrain Member Posts: 6
    Bjjorick said:

Wrain said:

I really like to try out a lot of class / kit / party combination, and with a lot I mean all of them.
    In the end I usually play with 2 custom create pgs: I start a multyplayer game and then move the save game to the sp save folder :D
    It's the only way for to start!

i've deffinately done the multiplayer so i could create 2 or 3 pcs, but why move the save game? it seemed to save and work fine as it was? is something different?
    Nothing different. I do that only because I don't want to create a mp game every time :)

• BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    trinit said:

as it seems so far, we are mostly slaves to character customization- in soviet baldur, the stats roll YOU!

hopefully it's more easily satisfied then me, of i won't survive the char creation process, with the rolling, and the hurting and dizziness and hey....
  • ThemightyTiaxThemightyTiax Member Posts: 6
    ummmm WHERE IS THE BARD OPTION!?>!?!?!?!?! lol
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    I don't really settle for a class. I decide on my race/class, and I start rolling. Whether it takes 5 or 500 rerolls, I will keep going until I find acceptable stats. Granted, after I reroll a couple of hundred times, my standards might mysteriously "loosen up" a bit.

I've always found it difficult to get the most desirable Paladin stats, so I end up with low stats in Int and Dex and rely on boosting items I find in game to compensate.
  • ShadowShadow Member Posts: 20
    @Doom972 These games don't really require any D&D knowledge. In my first play through I had no idea what was going on in the background.

I'm not that fussed as long as the key statistics have a fairly good number.
  • Doom972Doom972 Member Posts: 150
    Shadow said:

@Doom972 These games don't really require any D&D knowledge. In my first play through I had no idea what was going on in the background.

I'm not that fussed as long as the key statistics have a fairly good number.

When I first played NWN I didn't know anything about D&D rules. I did read the infamous manual, which didn't explain the core mechanics very well.

They do give you the "Recommended" on character creation and level up screens, but that way you can easily end up with too many abilities you aren't sure what to do with or don't like.
    I was only able to enjoy NWN after reading about how the core D&D 3rd Edition works, and same goes for BG and AD&D respectively.

You might think I'm just a bit thick to learn it through the game, but I actually had experience with Fallout 1 & 2 by that point and I found their mechanics very easy to learn.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I'm score obsessed, so I definitely do a lot of rolling. I think my threshold is 90 points or so, but I've taken lower if I get the rare 18/00. I'm a bit of a dork that way. I haven't, of yet, played with multi-classing, so I'm able to push INT/WIS/CHA down for fighters. Never have I rolled anything close to the 18/18/10/18/10/18 that somebody had, though. Insane luck of the dice, there!