Skip to content

Favorite RPG Games Per Genre (POLL)

unkinheadunkinhead Member Posts: 107
edited January 2014 in Off-Topic
Just curious what this communities favorite RPG's are per RPG category (IE: Crpg, JRPG, etc)

Here is my favorites and honorable mentions

CRPG: Favorite: Baldur's Gate Series (i tend to think of it as one huge game), Mentions: Planescape Torment, Fallout 2

JRPG: Favorite would be: Breath of Fire 3 (Super underrated), Mentions: FF6, FF3, BOF2 (FF6 tends to compete with BOF3 though...Depends on my mood: FF6 = Music, Graphics, Characters (slight edge) BOF: Story, Gameplay, Pace)

MMORPG: City of Heroes - heh, its the only one i ever got into...

Action RPG: Favorite: Super Metroid, Mentions: Zelda's

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Currently

CRPG: BG2 SoA (EE)

JRPG: FFX gameplaywise

MMORPG: never played one

Action RPG: Dark Souls 8-)
  • Aozgolo108Aozgolo108 Member Posts: 79
    CRPG: Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale, and Dragon Age Origins (not played the second one)

JRPG: Final Fantasy XII, Dragon Quest VIII, and Legend of Mana

MMORPG: Darkfall Online (It's defunct now but it's sequel is up, had tons of fun with it)

Action RPG: The Elder Scrolls Series, particularly Morrowind and Skyrim, with tons of mods of course.

You didn't mention this genre but I'll add it in:

Tactical RPG: Final Fantasy Tactics & Ogre Battle
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    CRPG: Baldur's Gate 2 EE

JRPG: don't even touch JRPGs

MMORPG: currently Neverwinter. probably Elder Scrolls Online when it releases

Action RPG: well before the ending it was Mass Effect hands down. i have been using Mass Effect pictures recently for some nostalgia. so what now? I think it would be Dark Souls a little ahead of The Elder Scrolls
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited January 2014
    CRPG: PS:T and BG2, ultra dispute!
    JCRPG: haven't played
    MMCRPG: haven't played
    ACRPG: Diablo II
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    CRPG: BG:EE (mainly because it exploded more than i thought :D!)

JRPG: final fantasy 6

MMORPG: Guildwars 2

ActionRPG, apparently Diablo 2 is an action RPG so...that
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    lol this poll may as well be 'what rpg games have you played per genre'. I am very selective about games, so don't actually play many. But I do tend to become very dedicated to the few games that I do play.

CRPG: BG series. Only competitor is the Avernum series, which has long been blown outta the water.

JRPG: Pokemon Yellow on Gameboy Advanced. I think that's the only JRPG I've played, if it counts.

MMORPG: erm... never played one... apparently.

ARPG: Diablo 3, which was my favourite of the series.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    CRPG: Baldur's Gate 2.

JRPG: Golden Sun. And Golden Sun 2. And Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Symphonia. And... Oh, Persona 3 and 4. (I know there's more... I've played way more JRPGs than any other kind of RPG...)

MMORPG: Guild Wars 2. Which I would play more of, if not for my lousy internet.

ARPG: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Tactical RPG: Final Fantasy Tactics, and Fire Emblem: Awakening.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    edited January 2014
    CRPG: BG2 ('00). Honestly have not played that many, though.

JRPG: Earthbound/Mother 2 (SNES '94) and Mother 3 (GBA '06). Mother 3 was never officially translated but there is a wonderful fan patch translation out there that was managed by a professional Japanese-to-English translator, so it's very high-quality. These are 100% positive top-5 game material.

MMORPG: Literally never played one.

ARPG: Kinda a fuzzy genre, wouldn't really put Zelda games here (except for Zelda 2). I guess Tales of Symphonia (GC '03) depending on what you think this genre is. It's a really cheesy game but the fighting is really arcade-y and satisfying so I pumped a lot of hours into it in college. I'd love to play Dark Souls though.

Tactics RPG: Disgaea (PS2 '03), Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX '97). FFT is one of only two Final Fantasy games that I actually like anymore (the other being FFIX). The GBA sequel to FFT was really dreadful in my opinion.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    to those who have never played an MMORPG i suggest you get guildwars 1, its not like people expect WoW to be and it isn't really a ROLEPLAYING game, but guildwars one was the prettiest game I've ever played until last year when guildwars 2 came out, usually i dont care about the graphics but that game is so pretty it needs to be mentioned, i got to max level 20 on my own, it took a while but i think its a really fun game, and one of the best areas IMO (i can do them too!) is the catacombs in act one of prophecies. its takes what is normally a brown dungeon and makes it bright, colourful, pleasing to look at and fun to grind through. not many games can say that, dragon age cant say that about orzammar (seriously, screw that place)
  • GodKaiserHellGodKaiserHell Member Posts: 398
    edited July 2016

Post edited by GodKaiserHell on
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I make a division between Isometric and 3D RPG's, skipping the Japanese en Massive Multiplayer games, as I don't play any games in that genre, they don't appeal to me.

So my list:

Isometric CRPG: Baldur's Gate series, with Icewind Dale as runner-up

3D CRPG: Dragon Age:Origins, with Fallout 3 as runner-up

Action RPG: Titan Quest: Immortal Throne
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited January 2014
    cRPG: Planescape: Torment, no contest.

JRPG: Star Ocean 1 - The First Departure. Much better than any Final Fantasy game imho.

MMORPG: The Elder Scrolls Online, judging from its beta.

Action RPG: The Dark Eye: Demonicon. Demons, gore, horror, incest and more importantly... it's TDE! What's not to love about it?
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Baldur's Gate is totally.an action RPG, you guys :P
    @scriver c'mon man, don't say that, everyone will say you're trolling and they'll blame you.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    pfft, you pause in Baldur's Gate? be a man, play realtime! with the FPS turned up!
    @nano I play BG with the FPS turned up (around 60-70).
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    CRPG: BG2EE, BGEE, Fallout: New Vegas
    JRPG: Anything with "Shin Megami Tensei" in it's name. It's the only JRPG I will ever touch but dang is it a really good one
    ARPG: Dark Souls, Legend of Zelda, (would Shadows of the Colossus count?)
    MMORPG: The last time I played an MMO would be when I was 11. It was a low key one filled with other 11 year olds called Endless Online. I can't stand them.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    CRPG: Baldur's Gate 2.

JRPG: Hmmmm... I don't actually know which I'd say is the best... So a tie between FF6, Tales of Vesperia and Persona 4

MMORPG: Granado Espada

Action RPG: Diablo 2

Tactical RPG: Super Robot Wars: Original Generation
  • fvmedeirosfvmedeiros Member Posts: 32
    I play rpg a lot, but i dont understand those terms (crpg jrpg ff bof what f* is that?!)

MMORPG: Wow (i criticize a lot but i cannot deny how many improvements and mechanics wow brought to game industry, it is still the bigger one). Mention: Guild wars 2, D&D Online, and elder scrolls online soon

Action: Skyrim

Others: NWN - love that game, Demon Souls
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

I play rpg a lot, but i dont understand those terms (crpg jrpg ff bof what f* is that?!)

CRPG = Computer RPG. So things like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, yatta-yatta.

JRPG = An RPG that originates from Japan. Final Fantasy is the prime example, along with the Tales of series, Shin Megami Tensei, Star Ocean, and countless others.

FF = Usually an abbreviated form of Final Fantasy. As they're so many of them, people cut down the characters to make it simpler. So Final Fantasy 6 = FF6.

BOF = I...actually do not know this one. Sorry bout that. :P
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    BOF = Breath of Fire judging from the OP.

As an aside, FF6 is now out for android!!
  • fvmedeirosfvmedeiros Member Posts: 32
    thanks for the clarification :)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited January 2014
    CRPG: Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 with all expansions, Might and Magic 6-8.

JRPG: I've never played one. What I've read about the nature of the genre makes it sound like it doesn't appeal to me at all.

ARPG: Sacred 1 & 2, Titan Quest, Divine Divinity, Diablo 2 & 3, Torchlight 1 & 2

There is a lot of discussion to be had about the definition of "ARPG". I define it as "a game (usually swords and sorcery based) where one plays a single character, with or without a single retainer or henchman, and hacks and slashes one's way through endless mobs of enemies over a gradually changing landscape and dungeon terrain, collecting an endless chain of loot dropped from a Las Vegas style table of probabilities, from common items at the low end, with high probability, up to extremely rare "jackpot" items on the other end, with extremely small probability.

The game is a long "boat ride" through a basically predetermined path, and has multiple difficulties that cannot be unlocked without traveling the entire "ride" through each difficulty level. Thus, one who gets "hooked" on an ARPG will normally "ride the ride" around at least three times, and sometimes four or five. These difficulty levels will take names such as "easy-hard-insane", or "bronze-silver-gold-platinum-niobium", or "recruit-veteran-nightmare-hell" or something similar. Again, one cannot simply switch from one to the other. The player must complete the entire game on one difficulty level before the next can be unlocked."

I think a lot of people in this thread are listing as favorite "ARPG's", games that I would actually call "FPS" games, or "first-person shooter" games.

If somebody can give me a clear term for the Diablo line of games and its clones, which I am currently calling "ARPG", which is more clear, I'd like to know that term.

There are so many juggernaut games in the Diablo style, those games really need a commonly agreed upon term that makes it clear to communicate that one is talking about exactly that kind of game.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that my favorite and only MMORPG is World of Warcraft. I both love it and hate it, depending on whether it is exciting me, boring me, or torturing me, and whether I feel like I can afford the fracking $15 to play it for thirty days, and whether I am socializing with a group of like minded people, or getting emotionally abused and upset by a group of bullies.

Would you believe that just typing that paragraph has got me thinking about paying $15 to Blizz and dipping their acid again? Somebody please talk me out of it before it's too late! LOL
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    CRPG: BG2:EE

JRPG: final fantasy 7 (only one Ive tried though)

MMORPG: Guildwars 2

ActionRPG: Hmm, maybe the witcher 2? Or is that more of an CRPG? In that case, maybe Diablo 2.
  • FatalApocalypseFatalApocalypse Member Posts: 66
    edited January 2014
    1.Ogre Battle
    2.Final Fantasy IV + VI
    3.Baldur's Gate II
    4.Chrono Trigger
    5.Final Fantasy Tactics

Determine the genres yourself, I don't have that much time to waste.

Edit; Honorable mention to Diablo
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806

Determine the genres yourself, I don't have that much time to waste.

actually, if you know the games, it takes you far less time to figure out the genres than what you ask of us to find out.

• FatalApocalypseFatalApocalypse Member Posts: 66

You're saying that I consider games as my favorites without knowing them ? roflmao

My point is that such detailed and precise genre defining is a waste of time. And I didn't ask anything, I meant if you want to uselessly classify games like that, do it yourself cause I won't.
    @Son_of_Imoen don't engage with 'em unless you got fire/acid.
  • unkinheadunkinhead Member Posts: 107

You're saying that I consider games as my favorites without knowing them ? roflmao

My point is that such detailed and precise genre defining is a waste of time. And I didn't ask anything, I meant if you want to uselessly classify games like that, do it yourself cause I won't.

Nothing about any of the genre's provided are detailed and precise by any stretch of the imagination though...

CRPG - An rpg....that is...played on a computer
    Action RPG - super broad RPG game with action qualities (usaully require human accuracy of somesort, ie shooting, aiming, etc)
    JRPG - An rpg...that's style originates from japan. (IE: Ogre battle)
    MMORPG - RPG, lots of people play it online at the same time, together.

How are any of these specific? They are extremely broad...I don't mind you not listing the genre's by any means, but its another thing to spout out that they are defining the game by any means in a confining way...Its like someone saying that Call of Duty Black Ops is a FPS, and you would say its not appropriate because its extremely detailed and precise classification of the game...The genres are absolute, they are not creative limits we put in front of the games...I know that i am going on way to long about something incredibly silly, but, i do have time to kill trolls..

/melf's acid arrow
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    You know... if you want to start arguing about video game genres... Really they are defined by game mechanics.

Except RPG, which is just a tag we love to slap onto certain types of games which usually contain a certain set of gameplay mechanics of which none are specific to the genre...

Stuff like leveling up, strategy to atleast some degree, RNG, open world and other stuff...