Skip to content

Powergamer best Party (and how to use them)

2»

Comments

• DeriloreDerilore Member Posts: 44
    Yeah Flesh to Stone on target can be a pain. It's surge 76. But it is "On Target" meaning you would have to actually target yourself with a spell (doesn't proc on stoneskins, mirror image, etc).

So the odds of that are pretty low considering first there is a 5% surge chance then a 1% chance of that surge. So it will happen 0.0005% of the time. And even then you get a saving throw.

Honestly I'm more concerned with pre buffing and killing townsfolk. But unless it's a crucial npc i dont see a need to reload. Just gotta buy off the local temple.

Honestly I'm not really a fan of Jan so I'm debating EEkeeping someone else to be a thief mage. Probably Imoen because that would get me a reason to want to include her.

One Idea I've also been kicking around is dualing from a wild mage to a cleric.
    Which honestly would just play as a cleric with lvl 9 mage spells and robe of vecna. But like a theif/cleric would also have timestop autohit + harm.

Decisions decisions...

• golingarfgolingarf Member Posts: 157
    You mean .05% - 1 in 2000. Considering that you will cast thousands of spells in the course of a playthrough, that's not inconsiderable. And there's also the stinking cloud, the slow, the fireball, the polymorph, the hold person, the cow... all high rolls that you may get even with chaos shields and whatnot. Basically wild mages can't cast spells on themselves, which is a pretty significant handicap. It also really sucks when you think you are casting a spell ... and then it just doesn't happen. I recently had my charname get killed because Neera did that.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    I basically use neera to blast away and only use nrd on contingencies for the most part unless I really need another ts or wish so surges rarely factor in at all I think I've wiped to one twice this run... Both times early on when she blasted the party or powerful bystanders.
    yeah NRD seems fit for pretty much only contingency use. But still lvl 1 chain contingency is pretty OP.

• kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    Yep basically run around with a chain contingency 3x ADHW while improved invis etc. or early on 3x skull trap.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    I don't understand this fuss about the Nahal's Reckless Dweomer + Chain Contingency combination. If I remember well, you can only buy a scroll of Chain Contingency in Ribald's special store, which is almost at the end of Shadows of Amn.
    At this point, even with a party of six, a Mage or a Sorcerer would also be able to cast it.
    For level 8, same problem.
    So that leaves level 7, maybe 6? Not sure it's worth the threat of wild surges given the amount of experience other Wizards need to reach these levels...
    Also Wild Mages cannot dual-class.
    Yeah, I'm not sure it's worth it at all. You will probably get chain contingency at about the same time or even earlier as a Sorcerer if you solo for a while, and in spite of all the wonders you can squeeze out of NRD I really can't believe Wild Mages are suitable for anyone not named Bondari.
    But by the way, so long as we're cheesing, the best use of Chain Contingency is not for Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, but Project Image. Set the condition to helpless and then cast Project Image. Then have all your images cast Simulacrum. Why play with just three mages when you can have twenty-four?
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    golingarf said:

Why play with just three mages when you can have twenty-four?

Overkill and too much micromanagement?
    I've noticed that doesn't seem to work on EE. I load 3 projects into a contingency. Set to helpless then cast project but I only get 2 images.

Any tips?
    Bah, just like them to fix it in such a way that it still half works. My tip is to use 12 mages instead of 24, and spend the other two chain contingency slots on something else.