Skip to content

DA:O vs DA2 vs BG2 vs NWN

fvmedeirosfvmedeiros Member Posts: 32
edited January 2014 in Off-Topic
I am thinking about get DA:O (never played any dragon age) and i would like to know the comparison of the 3 games...

Like:
Lenght (playtime)
Difficulty
Character progression
dialogs
story quality
Replayability
etc

thanks all!
Post edited by fvmedeiros on

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    What's BD2?

DA:O has reams and reams of dialogue. Of BG2, NWN, and DA:O, I would say that DA:O has the most dialogue, and the most NPC development resulting from it.

All three of them are of similar length.

BG2 is the hardest tactically, while NWN and DA:O are a rough tie - I'd say DA:O is the easiest tactically.

They're all three variations on a theme as far as player character development. I'd say that BG2 has the narrowest range of possibilities among the three, while the 3rd edition NWN has a mind-boggling array of possibilities. DA:O is somewhere in the middle with its skill-tree system of player character development.

As far as dialogues, I'd say that DA:O makes the npc's come to life the best, just because of its extensive animations and voice-acting. As far as actual quality of characters, it's a toss-up for me. Anomen vs. Alistair? Jan vs. Tomi "Grin" Undergallows? Viconia vs. Morrigan? Haer Daelis vs. Deekin? Jaheira vs. Aribeth? Dorn vs. Sten vs. Daelan Red Tiger? Wilson vs. Dog? Keldorn vs. Wynne?

They're all *very* memorable characters to me, although they all tend to be of similar archetypes when compared across games.

Such as:

Red-haired rogue: Imoen-Nalia-Neeshka-Tomi-Leliana
    Goofy handsome warrior: Minsc-Alistair
    Stoic barbaric warrior: Dorn-Valygar-Daelan Red Tiger-Sten
    Exotic semi-evil sorceress: Viconia- Qara- Morrigan
    Wild aggressive opinionated nature woman: Jaheira-Elanee-Morrigan
    Older mentor figure: Keldorn-Wynne
    Funny dwarf: Korgan-Khelgar-Oghren

Other potential comparisons abound.

Basically, if you love the Bioware formula of huge epic stories populated by the kinds of archetypal npc's I just mentioned, you should love all three of these games.

As far as replayability, I've found both BG2 and NWN to have virtually unlimited replayability. I've only ever played DA:O all the way through once, and my subsequent attempts at replaying have met with loss of interest and long-term abandonment, so I'd say that DA:O has the least replayability of the three.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    DAO can get extremely tactical on higher difficulties, but tactics can also be ignored on lower ones. I enjoy a run through now and then, and the final battle is perhaps the best battle I've played in a game! Such a shame they didn't look at their own game for inspiration for a final mission when they made ME3. The end of DAO is a battle. ME3 earth feels like any other mission.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2014
    I would say DAO is comparable to BG2 from a game time standpoint. But unlike BG2 a lot of that time is being spent gradually making your way through very large areas filled with enemies (rather than a series of smaller areas). From a story standpoint its also pretty good (even if they only represent a small portion of the game I actually really liked the City Elf and Mage origins).

The only thing that really bugged me about the game is that (at least from what I recall) you couldn't switch spells up on your mages, which for me actually ended up discouraging replaying a mage because I didn't want to have to go through the same cutscenes again just to try different high level spells and abilities (as well as spell combinations). But I personally got 3 playthroughs out of DAO so it certainly has replay value.

So I'd buy it if I were you.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I played the prologue of DAO, it was like Call of Duty with swords form my point of view (and yes I play FPS, but only Marathon), everyone (enemies :P and me later, and my desires for the game too) died quickly and it bothers me in those games where instead of starting with low Hit Points you start with 1000 Hit Poins but then you reach 100000 by the endgame.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    DAO is well worth buying, it's the best modern RPG.
  • stormy35stormy35 Member Posts: 39
    I highly recommend DOA. It has been said in the past that it is a spiritual successor of BG2 :) The overall plot falls into the typical cliche of saving the world from a certain doom. If you are looking for a good plot line, then sorry there's none to be had here as it's just another one of these run of the mill archetype settings. You will get your Dark spawns instead of Bhaal spawns in that game, which is great lol. The place where the game truly shines is the well-defined individuality of your companions. Each one has an unique background and the way you interact with them feels totally natural. Their own stories and quests are integrated seamlessly into the story settings. The voice acting in this game is superb and has always been held in high regard, comparable to the ones provided for the likes of Jon Irenicus.

Combat mechanics work fine in this game. Although queued combat actions and movement can feel a bit sluggish and cumbersome at times. You will have some freedom to explore the surrounding lands and complete the quests in any order you prefer. But the major quest areas are scaled with increasing difficulty to the order of level advancement. It is limiting but not surprising. E.g. a straight out of the dungeon BG2 party (level8-9) would tackle Thieves guild or de'arnise keep but avoid the Firkraag dungeon until level10-12 are reached.

I played DOA twice all the way to the end. I would think that you would likely play it 1-2 times before moving onto something else. Right now I am also having a hard time deciding what to play next: a choice that will likely be between the old school CRPG style might and magic X: legacy and the turn based tactical RPG blackguards. Both games were released recently.
  • stormy35stormy35 Member Posts: 39
    edited January 2014
    Might I add that I also highly recommend NWN, NWN2 and it's expansion mask of the betrayer. GOG has these games optimized to run on windows 7 and bundled them for sale. You might want to take a week off work, pretending to be sick so that your g/f or wife could do all the chores. That way you could devote yourself to playing these wonderful old school RPG games :)
  • fvmedeirosfvmedeiros Member Posts: 32
    Thanks guys, i will give it a shot... i was afraid because tons of dialogue like BG2 annoys me (not my style), NWN was my favorite game ever (more centered in character development), but i guess that modern games have voice, not too much text. So thats ok. Seems that DAO is in the middle of BG and NWN.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    DA:O is generally a very solid game. If you get it on PC then it can be worth picking up a few mods to smooth out little annoyances - there's a mod that allows you to re-spec characters and another that gets rid of the oddly brown tint to people's teeth.
  • fvmedeirosfvmedeiros Member Posts: 32
    nice!
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    edited January 2014
    DA:O has best dialogues out of the 3 games, especially since they are all fully voice overed. It has good NPCs although they still are not as good as Minsc or Edwin.

In everything else the game is noticeable weaker than BG2, especially in combat and monster variety.

The game is a practice run for Bioware cinematic RPG experience that they mastered with ME2 and ME3. Personally I don't like ME2 and ME3 because of that. It is also a practice run for their goal to simplify their games so anyone can play it. Again I don't like that.
  • LesseLesse Member Posts: 81
    DA: O is amazing. No, really it's one of those games that I could replay again and again (and have done) and keep finding new things. The characters and world are so rich and fun to explore, its extremely funny at times and gets pretty dark at times. Awakening (in my mind the *true* sequal to Dragonage, not 2 which was a like a dating sim for emo and psychotic people). My first experience was as a mage, and the area you start in is just mind blowing.

NWN is the first rpg I ever played so it has a bit of a soft spot in my heart. It's aged very well, made me appreciate monks (Grimmgnaw :)) and even if the story's a bit odd i'ts good fun. I do think the sequals were a lot better, Hordes of the Underdark especially. I guess I don't think it's really NWN until you get Deekin.

NWN 2's first campaign was worse than that of the first game. By a long shot. Mask of the Betrayer though is probably my favourite game *ever* since Baldur's Gate. Not only did they introduce my favourite class ever (favoured soul) but the plot amazing and again got very dark at times. The characters were certainly a lot more interesting.

Baldur's Gate - well, it's Baldur's Gate. I think if its going to be "choose any game or Baldur's Gate its no contest :p.

@Torin I thought the combat in DAO is a lot better than BG2, but you may be right about monster variety.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Length: DA:O tends to be longer than both BG and NWN combined. But that more has to do with all the voiced dialog it has. It tends to play much slower due to it. You can time sink 60-80 hrs in one playthrough.

Difficulty: It has it's challenging moments for the first playthrough on both the console and computer. there are battles where you need to stop and think about tactics and how you can approach it. Much more difficult than both BG and NWN as there is very little cheese you can throw in difficult battles.

Character progression: As in leveling. It is more like NWN than BG here. The skill trees are linear and you can tend to be pigeonholed into picking skills. You do get a second and third specialty class, however, they need to be unlocked by playing the game first before you can use them.

Dialog: As mentioned before, there is tons of voiced acting spots (the main is not voiced acted though) that develops the world and plot. There is a new dynamic that is introduced with DA:O where your companions can will either like or dislike what you said. The more they like you, the will start developing beneficial passive skills and love interests. Too low, they may betray you. There is also banter triggers through out the game where once you reach a certain spot, two of your companions will start talking in the background. while you still merrily run along. These can be entertaining, however, not as good as BG ones where you can get a word in.

Story quality: The story is 100 times better than NWN, if not cliched ridden. It tests your morals and ethics constantly and is very immersive.

Replayability: Others will argue, but I find DA:O the least replayable of the three. Sure majority of quests can be finished in more than one way and is the least linear, however, the length of the game and it's slow play makes a second and third playthrough slow.

DAO is well worth buying, it's the best modern RPG.

Well, I'm too old school for it I think.
    @CrevsDaak C'mon now, you're a youngling, you should play the games your generation :D
    @FinneousPJ well, I like different playing styles better, I think I'll go for Tides of Numenara and Pillars of Eternity (well, some day), but I really want to play IWD, so, I'll see what can I play after finishing the IWD saga.
    edited January 2014
    @CrevsDaak On the PC you can play DAO just like BG, from the tactical top-down perspective. Since they removed it from DA2 (AFAIK), I haven't played it. DAO truly is the spiritual successor to BG in more ways than any game since (BG), IMO.
    elminster said:

that really bugged me about the game is that (at least from what I recall) you couldn't switch spells up on your mages, which for me actually ended up discouraging replaying a mage because I didn't want to have to go through the same cutscenes again just to try different high level spells and abilities (as well as spell combinations). But I personally got 3 playthroughs out of DAO so it certainly has replay value.

you may only have 6 quick action (I had it on console. don't know about pc) but there was an wheel you could bring up and get all the options you have available. you just put common ones like dual flurry for a dual wielder into the quick slots then for situational stuff you open the wheel and find it. there are a large range of tactics to use by the endgame as you get a large array of powers and spells to use. i also liked the way activated passives worked into the system by taking a percentage of your fatigue, though think it would have been a bit better if it took a set amount as a percentage just takes away more and more as you get fatigue which seem to go against why I would increase it in the first place
    @FinneousPJ well, I played DA2, not DAO :P so maybe I try it.
    I think you definitely should.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @CrevsDaak, a lot of people think that DA2 didn't even deserve the name, it was so different in play, and not for the better. You haven't really tried Dragon Age until you've tried the original game. It really does play a lot like Baldur's Gate, and the NPC's are extremely well-written and memorable.
    @BelgarthMTH Like Dark Alliance and the Novels from BG, right (DA, what's that? BG Don't has novels... :P)?
    I'll see later if I get it or I pass and keep with IE games.
    @CrevsDaak Have an eye out for steam sales. I think it was $4.99 at some point.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited January 2014

I am thinking about get DA:O (never played any dragon age) and i would like to know the comparison of the 3 games...

Like:
    Lenght (playtime)
    Difficulty
    Character progression
    dialogs
    story quality
    Replayability
    etc

thanks all!

Length:
    DAO: Haven't finished it but its not short I think, plus you have the expansion and DLC adventures.
    BG2: Combined with ToB, maybe it ties to DAO for length. But you should play BG2 with BG1 as well.
    NwN1: OC is average. Shadows is short. Hordes is longer. Though you should play SoU and HotU together.
    NwN2: Long campaign but shorter than DAO and BG2 I think. Should be played with Mask. Storm is average I think but it's different. SoZ is like Icewind Dale in terms of gameplay.

Difficulty:
    BG2 absolutely. Mostly because of the ADnD rules.
    DAO: Quite challenging mostly because of scaling enemies. Something I don't like.
    NwN1: Absolute cakewalk. Only hard if you raise difficulty to Hardcore or Very Difficult. True for all expansions.
    NwN2: OC is quite easy. Mask is harder but not too much. Storm is much more hardcore and fun. You can die relatively easy.

Character Progression:
    DAO probably has the most developed characters. But they are few compared to BG1 or BG2.
    BG2 has quite developed characters but not too much but still enough development.
    NwN1 has the smallest character progression. There allies are more about helping than joining in the story.
    Though Hordes has some more development with Deekin, Aribeth, Valen and Nathyrra.
    NwN2 has quite good character development. More or less like BG2, though fewer characters.
    Mask has the best character development of all the NPCs of NwN2. High quality ones but very few.
    Storm has minimal character development. They are more or less mercenaries or henchmen like NwN1.
    But Storm of Zehir is about making your own characters like Icewind Dale.

Story Quality:
    BG2 easily has the best story out of all the games, with the exception of NwN2: Mask of the Betrayer.
    DAO is second maybe though I find the lore of it quite cliche and nothing too original. But still good story.
    NwN1 has a silly and boring story. SoU improves it a bit and Hordes is far more interesting.
    NwN2: The story is good, though the ending is meh. Original in some parts and familiar in other ones.
    Mask of the Betrayer: It has been compared numerous times to Planescape Torment. Nough said.
    Storm of Zehir: Almost non-existant, more focused on exploration, there are a few fun touches now and then but nothing amazing. Though even without a story, it would still be fun, I think. It's just another objective.

Replayability:
    BG2 is very replayable. Many NPCs, important and opposite choices here and there.
    DAO is even more replayable, I think. Various origin stories and different prologues.
    NwN1: The OCs are not too replayable. Maybe twice to play an "evil" playthrough. BUT NwN1 has fan made modules and persistent worlds. That alone makes it incredibly replayable as a game but not as a story.
    NwN2: More or less like NwN1, you would want to play it twice to get the other companions and do the evil playthrough. Which does really count in Mask.
    Storm is replayable only if you want to take the other cohorts or want to play the game again with a different party you made.
    Again, NwN2 shines as a game with fanmade modules and the persistent worlds (online servers made by fans, most of them are roleplaying ones and one is set in the past of the Baldur's Gate games where Bhaal, Myrkul and other gods still existed).

Wanted to make a priest or assassin or hell, an assassin/priest of Bhaal? You can on the Baldur's Gate - The Sword Coast Chronicles server. How about a Cleric of Myrkul with a scythe?
    How about making a Half-Succubus Paladin on the Sigil - City of Doors server?
    How about visiting Myth Drannor and Shadowdale on the Dalelands server and making a Zhentarim?

The NwN1/2 games are far more replayable than the other two games just because of the sheer number of quality modules and roleplaying PWs they have.
    But the official campaigns are not as replayable.

Also NwN2 has more options for character creation than any of the other games. Many races, subraces, classes, prestige classes, feats, skills, spells and you can create really unique builds and characters.
    @Archaos Are you by chance still active in NWN(2) multiplayer? Does it even exist anymore?
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited January 2014

@Archaos Are you by chance still active in NWN(2) multiplayer? Does it even exist anymore?

Certainly. The NwN2 community is doing very well. The Dalelands server is making new changes according to lore and constantly have Kaedrin (one of NwN2's best modders if not best) exclusively into their team to make new spells, classes and prestige classes.
    For example he is making a modified Alchemist class from Pathfinder plus various monk improvements.

The biggest servers of NwN2 right now are probably BG-TSC, Dalelands, Haven, Sundren and Trinity, I think.
    There's a new server coming up by the makers of Tales of Amn (which was set in Athkatla) which would be exclusively an Underdark server and/or including Waterdeep. It's called Port of Shadows (aka Skullport).

The BG server also has the most people probably, constantly being at max player capacity at all times.

In short, NwN2 has servers set in the Sword Coast and Baldur's Gate, Shadowdale/Myth Drannor, Cormyr and Sigil, at least.

The Baldur's Gate 1 remake has been released as well.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

elminster said:

that really bugged me about the game is that (at least from what I recall) you couldn't switch spells up on your mages, which for me actually ended up discouraging replaying a mage because I didn't want to have to go through the same cutscenes again just to try different high level spells and abilities (as well as spell combinations). But I personally got 3 playthroughs out of DAO so it certainly has replay value.

you may only have 6 quick action (I had it on console. don't know about pc) but there was an wheel you could bring up and get all the options you have available. you just put common ones like dual flurry for a dual wielder into the quick slots then for situational stuff you open the wheel and find it. there are a large range of tactics to use by the endgame as you get a large array of powers and spells to use. i also liked the way activated passives worked into the system by taking a percentage of your fatigue, though think it would have been a bit better if it took a set amount as a percentage just takes away more and more as you get fatigue which seem to go against why I would increase it in the first place
    Umm ok. Not sure how this comment has anything to do with what I posted. Changing what spells you have available for quick casting/quick usage wasn't what I was referring to. Being able to totally change your spell tree (whenever you feel like it) is more along the line of what I was talking about.
    @elminster i am sorry I thought that was what you were talking about.

yes this is one of those things where you need to look at the trees and make a decision what is important to you. you don't go trying to get 2 weapon styles or anything like that. mages could go for a bunch of different trees, but they are unlikely to get everything they want. it does make your choices in leveling important though, as you can't just get everything you want in the end. it is kind of like being a sorceror in BG
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.