Skip to content

What Left You Wanting More?

SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
In this thread I'd like to hear about stories or encounters in BG 1 or 2 that left you wanting more. For example, the two big ones that always jump out at me are the Skinner Murders and the Spelljammer in the Underdark. I always wished that the skinner quest kept going, since there's an allusion to a greater conspiracy behind the events you witness in the game; and I always wished you were given a quest aboard the Spelljammer, just a quick jaunt out into space w/ the crew to fight some baddies.

Please refrain from turning this thread into, "this companion's romance was so bad, I wish they had done X, Y, and Z." I want to hear what the devs did RIGHT, how they piqued your interest, and left you wishing the awesomeness had gone a step further.

Comments

• AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270
    God I don't even remember the Spelljammer part from BG 2, my BG 1 ones (As I'm playing that now) Nashkel Mines, the Contaminated Ore, the Mystery Vial, hell the whole thing seems like it could have been fleshed out more.

The Ice Isle, would have been nice to see some maybe non-hostiles there, how people lived, maybe something into why it exists, etc.

Ulcaster Ruins, this is my big one, seemed like it could have been WAY bigger and more fleshed out, but wasn't.

Candlekeep, Home of Lore, would have loved for this to have been better on the return trip, or hell even when you start, be a sort of things to come type experience, after all this place is huge, and would likely have all sorts of neat things to do, more so if your Arcane in nature yourself.

Hmm, those three off the top of my head, then again with BG 1, there are a lot of little things in the game that don't really go anywhere and that I wish did.
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    Agree with what you said about the Skinner Murders. I also thought Jan's quest was interesting but I wanted more, I wanted something else to happen between Vaelag and Jaella and also find more out about 'the enlightened ones' (or whatever they were called) and the hidden.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I agree about the skinner murders, I think they were linked to the twisted rune; also the Ulcaster ruins as Amardarial says, I felt that was a chance to plunder lost knowledge.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,196
    I always wanted to do more with the idol of Kozah, go inside the gnoll's fortress, see the druid war, and yes, more levels in the Ulcaster ruins.
    Like Amardarial says, there are so many little things in BG1...
  • AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270
    Yea the Idol of Kozah could have been a epic quest line, same for the Gnoll Fortress, as in it could have actually been you know, a Gnoll Fortress, imagine going there and facing archers, shamans, etc?

but BG 1 has TONS of little quests that could have been so much more, also tons of places that are just empty, no lore, nothing, they seem to be there for visuals only or maybe the team planned to do something and then just didn't for whatever reason....
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    The gnoll fort! By the gods, I ran around that place for an hour trying to figure out how to get inside. I even made sure to explore every bit of that map I could to make sure I didn't miss a cave that might lead into the castle.
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 481
    Baldur's Gate 2 Shadow of Ahm... love the richness of the areas that it takes place in... and the use of portraits in the chat box. Plus the story and characters that make it all worth wild
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Area 0400 - The Zombie Farm north of Baldur's Gate. You get there late in the game expecting some sort of big challenge and there is nothing to do. The first time I went there I wandered round for ages thinking I must have missed something. Maybe they could get rid of the zombies and add something more interesting? Or at least add an evil cleric who is controlling the zombies and attacking the farmer.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Some pretty smart people got to this thread before I could, haha; so I'm just going to say I agree with them, and say that BG1 hooks you and then you're like ... wait come on, be more, PLEASE! So yes, the Nashkel Mines conspiracy, with all the contaminated ore and vials. Ulcaster Ruins, Idol of Kozah, Candlekeep, Gnoll Stronghold, Zombie Farm. Those are all good ones I completely agree.

Additionally I wanted to be able to romance Safana. Maybe get out of the friend zone with Imoen before she becomes a whiner in the second game? And then when you realize you're like, half-siblings be like ... okay whoops, this is awkward. Hahaha, that would be so perfect.

I always wanted to see more of Edwin, like a bit of a change of heart as odd as that sounds. His character is designed to make you think that he's kind of putting on a front, like he's not as much of a tough-guy and "hate everybody, consider them ants" as he pretends. It would've been cool to argue with him about that.

Along with that, I would've liked more conversations with NPCs without necessarily romancing them, in BG2.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Quartz said:

I always wanted to see more of Edwin, like a bit of a change of heart as odd as that sounds. His character is designed to make you think that he's kind of putting on a front, like he's not as much of a tough-guy and "hate everybody, consider them ants" as he pretends. It would've been cool to argue with him about that.

If you have Edwin and Alora in the same party you will see a different side to him.

• KhamillKhamill Member Posts: 226
    I want to find better gear and more gold:)
  • LeonLeon Member Posts: 83
    Damn Smaug i am with you on this one. I am really into conspiracy staff and this quest kind of reminded me of the CFR,the world bankers,the capitalistic conspiracy etc :D
    I wish they could create a feeling that they is something greater AKA the all seeing eye feeling like hidden notes which lead to secret doors like in BG2 Tazoks key to the sewers where mind flyers dwell.
    Also would like more quests like with Aldeth in Cloakwood where you actually dont know if the person speaks true and you must choose side: that put you into dillema much more when you dont actually know the difference between right and wrong\ good and evil.
  • PoulsenPoulsen Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2012
    @Maciak87
    As I understand the List of things that can't be done the only thing out of bounds is altering dialogue of existing characters, while adding new content and even re-arranging encounters on the old maps is okay.

So at least some changes could occur, such as creating a boss fight in Ulcaster Ruins (my favourite suggestion), an evil cleric at the zombie farm, a shady character somewhere interested in acquiring the Kozah statue for his own dark designs (besides Ulcaster's ghost ;)), etc.
  • Benji123Benji123 Member Posts: 2
    I would have loved to find out what happened after I found the little girl's dog which turned out a hellhound, well and the little girl turned out to be an ogremage. Then it teleported away with the hellhound. Where are they now? Did the dog stay with the ogremage or did it run away again? Can my paladin feel okay after helping these evil creatures?

The gravestones in Naskel were the best 20 minutes of the game just reading trough them. Last words: Lets split up, we will cover more ground that way ;)

I would have loved for some more games and fun at the Naskel fair.

Also who is that old lady who got her house infested with Giant spiders? How did she get out alive? Why does she what those slippers? Where does she get the money to hire adventures to solve this problem?

Why does the nobleman think a mud covered, blood soaked group of heavily armed adventures carrying the stench of ogres run a dry cleaning company? What is his angle in giving you those golden pantaloons and why want anyone pay more than a gold piece for those sweet pantaloons?

I could go on, there are so many tiny quests that could be expanded upon, but for some reason I like that, as in life, sometimes you only get half the story. You know that a good reason exist for the thing, but to you it just seems strange because you only hear half the story. It makes the world seem more real, stuff happens without you and you don’t need to understand everything.
  • PoulsenPoulsen Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2012
    It's a joke "vampiric" sword that hurts you when you use it (Ulcaster also needs the skeleton armor from the Firewine Bridge to give the sword).

The game could definitely use an alternative, less sucky way of getting closure on the idol (besides just selling it, I guess).

Edit: added spoiler tags.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

Quartz said:

If you have Edwin and Alora in the same party you will see a different side to him.

Yeah, I really need to go and do that. Thanks for the tip. I just hate the idea of having to switch out a thief so late in the game, but I'll have to break down and do it some time. Same with Skie.

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Smaug said:

I always wished that the skinner quest kept going, since there's an allusion to a greater conspiracy behind the events you witness in the game

Just a quick aside - you probably already knew this, but the skinner quest continues in 2 seperate phases. The first one
    Once you have exposed the tanner, go to trademeet and complete the druids grove quest. On the way back you will be asked for help by a woman whose son has gone missing, and if you follow the quest, you end up killing him and his apprentice

The second one
    Take the human flesh and the scroll to umar hills, and follow the instructions on the scroll to speak with the merchant about forging human flesh armour. When you leave the underdark, kill adalon instead of helping her, and return the blood to the merchant and recieve some of the best armour for viconia in the game
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    The first time I played BG1 I expected Bub Snikt to be a joinable NPC, and was a bit surprised when I found that he wasn't. Not sure if any modder ever developed that idea and made it so. But anyway, he looked to be a good addition to the party.

There are many, many mods out there for players to explore, a good number of which arose from this "left me wanting more" feeling. Some of the most impressive examples:

The BG1 NPC Project - develops NPCs

BG2 Quest Pack - develops BG2 quests

Sword Coast Stratagems (both SCS and SCS II) - enhances enemy AI to make enemies fight smarter

Some years back I participated with a comparatively simple mod to keep Yoshimo after Spellhold. I did find it it satisfying to rescue Yoshi from Irenicus' Geas and thereby avoid his death. I read at the time that the Tortured Souls mod also allowed one to keep Yoshimo alive, although I'm not sure in that mod how the story was altered as such. Anyway, it was fun.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    BG1: The merchant league and the conlict between the druid sects could have done with more fleshing out.

BG2: Linking up the twisted rune with everything else that is hinted to be related to it would be good, as would some closure as to what the hidden is and why there is a mind flayer base in the athkatla sewers.
  • lockmundlockmund Member Posts: 354
    The normal book in Candlekeep and the priests of Lleira. I want some XP when I drag around on a book!
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    I was curious that during the whole 'iron shortage' thing there were no opportunities to shake people down for their iron (not necessarily equipment; could be farming tools or personal items) to sell on a black market. BG needs more evil quests after all.

Just seems that the shortage could have been a lot more than NPCs talking about it and your weapons (but never armor for some reason) sometimes breaking.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Lemernis said:

The first time I played BG1 I expected Bub Snikt to be a joinable NPC, and was a bit surprised when I found that he wasn't. Not sure if any modder ever developed that idea and made it so. But anyway, he looked to be a good addition to the party.

I heard some time ago that he's a very vague Wolverine reference. Wolverine calls most people 'bub', his claws make a 'snikt' sound when they come out in the comics and he talks about smelling ogres on the wind, which is a Wolverine thing to say.
    Interesting bit.

• SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    Thanks for all the replies guys, it's interesting to see what grabbed other people.

@ajwz I did know about the boy and the armor, I always wanted that final showdown w/ the heads of the conspiracy though =( or maybe just tieing it in to the Twisted Rune would have been awesome. Something like the hidden mindflayers would be cool too, as @Leon suggested.

It's been a while since my last BG1 playthrough and the gnoll fortress isn't too fresh in my mind, but that's a really good one. I do remember wandering the exterior thinking, "I know there's a door here!"
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    I like when Arkanis and Deder join my party to fight doppelgangers in Candlekeep. I hoped they would have followed me to the end of the dungeon. Also, I would like to know more about Tethtoril and Ulraunt.