Skip to content

dual classing Yoshimo, please heelp

I dual classed him to fighter, finally get his bounty hunter abilities back and BACKSTAB MULTIPLIER IS x0! iS this normal? or is this an EEkeeper matter?

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Whereabouts are you in the story? Have you played BG2 before?

Sounds like an EE Keeper fix.
  • RuscoeRuscoe Member Posts: 126
    decado said:

Whereabouts are you in the story? Have you played BG2 before?

Sounds like an EE Keeper fix.

hey thanks for the reply! nah this is my first time im playing bg2. k so I dual classed him at level 11 which means he just reached level 12 fighter and now got his bounty hunter abilities back. whats the backstab multiplier value? how do I know that nothing else has been fiddled with?

i dual classed yoshimo and he lost his backstab ability, like hes a level 11 bounty hunter and its on x0. I can't fix it with eekeeper. what do I do?
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    It's a bug in some of the spellings in 2da files that causes this. There is a thread incl workaround under

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/25054/7143-core-dual-class-thief-backstab-bug/p1
    jackjack
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    There really isn't much point in dual-classing Yoshimo... I won't spoil it for u, but... trust me, just use him as is, reload to before you dual-classed if u can.

There really isn't much point in dual-classing Yoshimo... I won't spoil it for u, but... trust me, just use him as is, reload to before you dual-classed if u can.

nah too much gameplay, do you know hot to fix this problem?
    Maybe I am wrong, cos I've never dual-classed a thief (Bounty Hunter is thief kit) before, but I think this is standard/intended behaviour. When you dual-class, you are supposed to lose your skills from your original class until your second class surpasses the first.

For example when my Multiplayer Group dual-classed Imoen in BG 1 at lv5, she lost the ability to use stealth and detect traps until she reached lv6 mage. I would guess that backstabbing counts as one of the skills that you can lose. So it's not a 'bug' that needs to be fixed.

However the reason why I say u shouldn't bother dual-classing him is because you will never get the benefit of his enhanced abilities at the end of a dual-class process for plot reasons I'd rather not spoil u.

So u got 2 options as far as I can see:

1) Reload to pre-dual class.

2) Use EEkeeper to cheat in the necessary xp for Yoshimo to level up to recover his Thief skills. If u began the process at lv11, that means he needs lv12 fighter, which is 1,000,000 xp.

edited January 2014
    @BelgarathMTH my friend, can you verify what I said is true? I'm not sure if backstabbing counts as an active ability like Find Traps.

Edit: Ah... nvm... I guess it's something else.

Maybe I am wrong, cos I've never dual-classed a thief (Bounty Hunter is thief kit) before, but I think this is standard/intended behaviour. When you dual-class, you are supposed to lose your skills from your original class until your second class surpasses the first.

For example when my Multiplayer Group dual-classed Imoen in BG 1 at lv5, she lost the ability to use stealth and detect traps until she reached lv6 mage. I would guess that backstabbing counts as one of the skills that you can lose. So it's not a 'bug' that needs to be fixed.

However the reason why I say u shouldn't bother dual-classing him is because you will never get the benefit of his enhanced abilities at the end of a dual-class process for plot reasons I'd rather not spoil u.

So u got 2 options as far as I can see:

1) Reload to pre-dual class.

2) Use EEkeeper to cheat in the necessary xp for Yoshimo to level up to recover his Thief skills. If u began the process at lv11, that means he needs lv12 fighter, which is 1,000,000 xp.

i am already at level 12, thats what i meant by too much gameplay, I regained my abilities and now the backstab is on x0. how do I fix this incredibly annoying bug?

• BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Ruscoe said:

It's not a problem, it's how the game works. When you dual-class someone, they lose all their previous abilities until their new class exceeds their old one by one level. And Heindrich's right, it's a waste of time dual-classing Yoshimo.

Hmm... I hope somebody more experienced might be able to help u... maybe @CrevsDaak?
    Belanos said:

Ruscoe said:

It's not a problem, it's how the game works. When you dual-class someone, they lose all their previous abilities until their new class exceeds their old one by one level. And Heindrich's right, it's a waste of time dual-classing Yoshimo.

gawd I should have edited this post. I AM at level 12 fighter right now AFTER dual classing, so I have REGAINED my ability as a thief and my problem is the backstab is on oX get it?
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    Let's put it this way, if you got him to 11 thief and 12 fighter no matter what else you do fixing him won't help you much and will probably actually hurt you greatly unless you play on a low difficulty so why bother.

However the bug applies to all bh to fighter duals and you need to put a new backstab file into your override folder to fix it I believe the proper hack is in the other thread linked before.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited January 2014
    @Heindrich1988, I haven't been following this thread, so I don't really know what's going on in here, but backstab is a passive ability that requires a precise technique to activate - the thief must be stealthed or invisible, and must strike from exactly behind the target.

A roll to hit must be made, so bad thac0 can be a problem.

The game is very funny about what it counts as "behind the target". Sometimes it appears to work from a rear diagonal angle, and other times, you can swear you are directly behind the target, and the game will not see it that way, only calculating regular damage.

I've never been a fan of backstabbing precisely because of its unreliability, but people who have practiced it enough to get the ins and outs of it often swear by it.

And of course, when the AI backstabs *you*, it *always* gets it right.

EDIT: Never mind, that's not the op's problem. He says he got the dual classed fighter level back up higher than the bounty hunter levels, and the backstab ability didn't come back. That's some kind of bug.
    Heindrich
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited January 2014
    Okey, first, dualing Yoshimo has to be done later so he is ultra weak >:D (evil powergaming side came today!), but he can get very powerful as a Bounty Hunter->Fighter so it's OK.
    This is a known bug, I'll ask @Illdyth or @Troodon80 to move and rename this thread, since this has been already reported and it has no workaround (I can only quote our favorite Panda moderator...
    Troodon80 said:

currently there is no work around for it, but it will be looked at. I would suggest waiting to dual-class, though such a thing should be capable of being patched retroactively; it just means you won't be able to take advantage of the backstab until such a patch.

... this means no dual class unless you are a Swashbuckler).
    A way of getting this to work OK again is to grab EEKeeper and edit some stuff, first, change the CLASS back to THIEF, and remove the DUAL-CLASS flag, DO NOT TOUCH the XP, you'll gain back everything (unless you are an Assassin, then roll another PC).
    [spoiler=from Hexxat and this is hell big]
    I'll give an easier guide (I'm not good at this of guiding people).
    OK, here we have Hexxat's page from EEKeeper we can tell that she has big boobs that she is unable is dual-class, but if we open Yoshimo's after dual-classin it will look different, the Dual-class flag will be set and there should say "thief" (or Bounty Hunter), take out the Dual-class flag and change the class back to Thief (the Kit should still being Bounty Hunter), go back to the game and it will be done. [/spoiler]
    @Ruscoe if you are lazy (or just don't want to do it) upload a save game and I'll do it if you like so.
    HeindrichRuscoe
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    @Ruscoe, where you are in the story line? It's very probable the issue will resolve itself after the Spellhold quest arc.
    jackjack
    @CrevsDaak

hey thank you so much for helping! k so this is what I did: by following exactly what you said, for some reason once I change the class back to thief, Yoshimo figures as a level 12 Monk, how ever if I remove the dual-class flag he figures as a multiclass Fighter-Thief and everything works fine. the only thing is the experience for both Bountyhunter and Fighter end up completely out of balance, he's down to 500.000 instead of a milion for fighter and 440.000 for Bounty Hunter, and therefore is automatically needing to level up as a bounty hunter, but that must just be how multiclass works. should I fiddle with the experience at this point? how do multiclass and dual class work differently? thank you for your help really appreciate it
    @Ruscoe can you upload your save game, I've changed my mind (and I'm testing out something) so I'll do it for you.
    You should change his class to Thief, and the Kit should be set to Bounty Hunter, and the Dual-class flag shouldn't be set.
    Ruscoe
    Multi-class and Dual-class are completely different, and it sounds like your fix has worked 'as intended'.

A multi-class character gains equal xp to both classes throughout the game, eventually acquiring HLAs in both classes. For example my Fighter/Mage ended the game with just over 6M xp, which means he was lv20 Fighter, lv18 Mage, and had access to both Warrior HLAs like Greater Whirlwind, and Arcane ones like Summon Planetar.

A dual-class character would stop gaining xp in the first class once they choose their second one. So my Kensai => Mage, if I began the process at lv8, would never surpass more than 125K xp and lv8 in Kensai, but say he reached 6.125M xp in total, he'd be lv26 Mage at the end. He'd never have Warrior HLAs, but will get Arcane ones much sooner (around 3M xp, as opposed to 6M).
    CrevsDaak said:

@Ruscoe can you upload your save game, I've changed my mind (and I'm testing out something) so I'll do it for you.
    You should change his class to Thief, and the Kit should be set to Bounty Hunter, and the Dual-class flag shouldn't be set.

sweet yeah sure, how do i do that should I send you a a message with the attatched file?
    CrevsDaak said:

sorry I failed to notice the Attach file button, Itried but it tells me the uploaded file type is not alllowed :(. what to do?
    @CrevsDaak i think i managed! I compressed it. lemme know if u can open it!
    edited January 2014
    @Ruscoe, no, I can't open that file type, I'm on a Mac OS X, I can open rars and zips (and some others as well, but no 7Z).
    Also, upload the entire save game folder, I won't be able to work on that file alone.
    edited January 2014
    @CrevsDaak here it is i think i did it! here you will find a dual classed yoshimo at the point were I realized the problem with the backstabbing
    CrevsDaak
    @Ruscoe fixed, one thing, his saving throws will lower to the thief's saving throws at level up and Backstab will increase correctly (I've tested if it worked).
    Ruscoejackjack
    edited January 2014
    @CrevsDaak hey thank you so so much! But can't I change the saving throws on EEKEEPER? (Not that I know the correct values however)