Skip to content

Why isn't Ranger/Mage a possible combination?

StevenAusStevenAus Member Posts: 8
edited January 2014 in New Members Welcome Area
Is it because when you have a multi-class, you can't have more critical stats than you have classes? I know Ranger needs Constitution as well as the Divine Spell requirement Wisdom, and Mage needs Intelligence. Cleric/Mage and Cleric/Ranger only have two critical stats each. It can't be that Elves can only get 17 Constitution, because Half-Elves can't get Ranger/Mage and they don't have the Constitution restriction. And even though Rangers must be Good, Mages can be Good too.

Or is it simply because Ranger/Mage would be too powerful, with Grand Mastery in Long Bows and the Elf bonus for Long Bows (or even without the Elf Long Bow bonus)?

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Because it wasn't an allowed mutli-class in AD&D 2nd Edition.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    @AstroBryGuy
    Pretty much covered it. Because it's not allowed in ADnD 2E.
    Don't try to make sense of ADnD's rules, you'll only go insane.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    it makes perfect sense.
    rangers are nature's stewards, similarly to druids, they draw power from it and mages' arcane power is unnatural and often corrupting so these two are sources of power that can't be reconciled.

a compromise has been made with stalker and avenger kits.
  • golingarfgolingarf Member Posts: 157
    Although 2nd Edition did allow Druid/Mages as well as Fighter/Mage/Druids, and even (according to my book) Ranger/Druids - I'm not sure how the alignment issue works out there; it might just mean that Humans are allowed to dual class that way if they have an alignment change. None of these options were implemented in BG, for what reason I don't know.
    By the way, @bob_veng, it looks like by the criteria above you are going insane.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    really? i was pretty sure those multis were disallowed
    also i don't think i'm going insane, i'd never allow this combination myself
    That's sad. My favorite character that I ever played in PnP (other than a DMPC I once inflicted on my players) was a Druid/Mage.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited January 2014
    image eh maybe more of a druid mage but close enough
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Because Ranger/Mage/Cleric would make Elminster look like a magical weakling?

Because Ranger/Mage is flat out superior to Fighter/Mage in every way?

Because Ranger/Mage/Thief would be confusing to implement with multiple stealth granting classes to consider?

Because then people would make a Stalker/Mage/Cleric and win Baldur's Gate forever?

Because AD&D multiclasses were incredibly arbitrary and nobody's got around to letting people mod in new multiclass combinations yet for Baldurs Gate?

Ah yes, that's the one.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited January 2014
    a better question is why cant you be a druid/mage?
    coolest combo and it isn't even in the game
    Yes, that is a much better question. I'd actually like to know the answer to that question.

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    golingarf said:

Pantalion said:

Because then people would make a Stalker/Mage/Cleric and win Baldur's Gate forever?

As opposed to making a Kensai/Mage and winning Baldur's Gate forever? Or making a Sorcerer and winning Baldur's Gate forever? Or making a Fighter/Mage/Thief and winning Baldur's Gate forever? Or picking Edwin and winning Baldur's Gate forever?

It's actually not that hard to win Baldur's Gate forever.
    Stalker/Mage/Cleric can basically perform any function in the game except Trap Removal (Detects them however) and set snares. Backstab, Stealth, Cleric, Druid and Mage spells, Warrior-THAC0 and proficiencies (+2 free pips). A Stalker/Mage/Cleric comes about as close to a pentuple-threat character as would be possible to achieve. Overrated dual classes and mages with a few extra spell slots before resting are powerful, but hardly represent a wide-ranging mastery of every aspect that a Stalker/Mage/Cleric would supply. F/M/T is close, but Ranger would still outclass Fighter in that particular multiclass as well.

And agreed. Druid/Mage would prompt yet another playthrough if they enabled it as a choice, even if I was stuck with the bunny.
    edited January 2014
    Well, unless you remove the cap your Stalker/Mage/Cleric won't get level 9 spells, so I'd hardly consider that "mastery." Can he backstab? Yes. Hit accurately? Sure. Stop time, transform into a mind-flayer and eat the brains out of almost anything in the game? Er, no. That last one seems more significant to me.

Plus, I don't see much of an advantage over an F/M/T either. The backstab rate is worse, the THAC0 is worse, the weapon selection is worse. Not having find traps makes a big difference unless you use a lot of metagame knowledge. Cleric buffs are admittedly great, but mage buffs are more than enough anyway. Healing? Who cares - why are you getting hit? Plus, three words: Use Any Item. There's definitely an argument to be made for the S/M/C, but it doesn't exactly seem like a seismic shift to me - more of a little tweak.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    That's an easy one. Rangers are close to druids, and when becoming cleric rangers they learn all druid spells. You can arguably state thusly that a ranger is like a druid on steroids to be little more of a warrior and noticeably less of a caster. Now, is there any druid/mage in the game, too? No? Exactly, this is the whole point...
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390

That's an easy one. Rangers are close to druids, and when becoming cleric rangers they learn all druid spells. You can arguably state thusly that a ranger is like a druid on steroids to be little more of a warrior and noticeably less of a caster. Now, is there any druid/mage in the game, too? No? Exactly, this is the whole point...

Druid/Mage is a valid multi-class and dual-class in 2e AD&D, so...
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Mitchfork said:

Druid/Mage is a valid multi-class and dual-class in 2e AD&D, so...
    And it's missing in BG and it is the only reason why I would play a druid.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited February 2014
    I think it has more to do with the fact that mages have academies, masters with apprentices, journeymen, and young students, ivy towers, books, theories, and pictographic glyphs that take years to learn how to read, write, and cast.

Thus, mages are the epitome of civilization in the Forgotten Realms. Rangers and druids don't *like* civilization, or at least, they don't trust it.

So, magery is like the polar opposite profession of being a ranger or a druid.

It's a roleplaying thing. If I had been the game developer, making ranger/druid and mage incompatible is something I would have done.

That said, in third edition, all bets are off. Third edition is pretty much "anything goes".

But, alas, BG is *second* edition, and really closer to *first* edition AD&D, which has a kind of charm of its own, even with all its arbitrary limitations on what a character can do and be. :)

Incidentally, I never knew second edition - I grew up on AD&D, and BG never struck me as any different from the first edition AD&D rules, except for the presence of bards, monks, and sorcerers, which seemed kind of tacked on.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited February 2014

Incidentally, I never knew second edition - I grew up on AD&D, and BG never struck me as any different from the first edition AD&D rules, except for the presence of bards, monks, and sorcerers, which seemed kind of tacked on.

First and second edition are very similar in mechanics, so it's not surprising that BG feels like first edition, especially BG1, which didn't use a lot of the splat book stuff like kits introduced in BG2.

FYI, bards and monks were in 1st Edition AD&D rules. Bards were different in 1st edition - you had to dual from fighter to thief and then to bard, and they cast Druid spells instead of Mage spells. Plus, they were in the Appendices. Monks, however, were one of the basic classes in the Players Handbook.

Sorcerers are a 3rd edition "back port" for BG2.