Skip to content

Why can't my Archer cast spells?

I am puzzled as to why my Archer (Ranger kit) cannot cast spells. He is 12th level, is not Fallen (Rep is high enough, etc) and he has the spells memorized from the Priest lists - slept, but when I click on the Cast Spells icon, nothing.

Any ideas why he cannot cast spells?

Comments

• JamesJames Member Posts: 110
    Wearing armour?
  • TwoWayFinesseTwoWayFinesse Member Posts: 128
    Divine spells are ok with armour, but afraid I have no idea - minimum wisdom? although I assume it's a minimum stat for a ranger anyway.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    Wis is 18, so it is ok. Armor shouldn't be affecting anything as he can only cast Divine spells. It has me baffled.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    This sounds like a bug... The only thing I can think of is Spell Failure, but I'm sure u'd have noticed it by now. Also if it was an armour issue or Spell Failure, u should still be able to click on the spells button, they'd just be greyed out. The cast spell button being completely unresponsive sounds like a bug.

Maybe move this thread to BG 2 EE bugs, maybe somebody has seen it already and might know a solution.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2014
    Are you using any mods?
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Did you import from Black Pits 2? The spell failure debuff can stay applied AFAIR.
  • TaearTaear Member Posts: 90
    My archer also lost the ability to cast his spells - it happened when I put on the Blue Dragon Armour. What armour are you currently wearing?
    I realise divine spells shouldn't be affected but still, that's the thing that did it for me.
    jackjack
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    Is he by any chance a Fallen Archer, coze if you killed intentionally or by accident innocent, you become a fallen archer and can't cast divine spell anymore.
    Hmmm...he did fall in BG1, but I "fixed" that with EEKeeper in BG1 (because there is no way to atone in BG1) - before importing to BG2EE. Perhaps that is the problem?

If so, is there any way to "fix" it?

BTW - no mods being used here.
  • Stasis_SwordStasis_Sword Member Posts: 91
    I would suggest:
    1). Removing all equipment, resting and see if that fixes the problem (not a long term solution but it rules out several possibilities).

2). If that doesn't work I guess you would need to "fix" your character again in EEKeeper.
    How would one "fix" the character with EEKeeper, then? Do I need to remove the kit, then add it again? Already tried that with the items.

Thanks in advance for the advice, btw.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    I don't think that changing the kit with EE keeper effect all your attribute, for an example you can change you lvl but your total XP won't change which is useless since you can't add your extra points in your weapon proficiency. I don't think there is an option "Can or can't use divine spell" in eekeeper so, pretty much fucked you are maybe? sorry...
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I summon the venerable and great panda @Troodon80.

I got a feeling this maybe something to do with a variable that needs to be removed, but I don't know which/how. If there is an answer, I am sure @Troodon80 will have it.
    jackjack
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    edited January 2014
    WebShaman said:

Hmmm...he did fall in BG1, but I "fixed" that with EEKeeper in BG1 (because there is no way to atone in BG1) - before importing to BG2EE. Perhaps that is the problem?

If so, is there any way to "fix" it?

BTW - no mods being used here.

Seems to me there is a certain justice at work here ;)

I'd probably just make a new character and keeper him to have the same attributes, items, XP, etc. Move your game to the multi folder, import new character, delete old, save, and move game back to single folder.

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited January 2014
    @WebShaman, can you zip/rar and upload your edited save game?
    edited January 2014
    Sure! Will do.
    Here is my save file - I suppose if I add in a "dup" per MP, my romance with Neera is gone, right?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it should still be active. Global variables are stored with the save game, not the character. Should be able to verify in eekeeper, but I'm at work atm.
    edited January 2014
    @WebShaman I removed some disable buttons from your affects and I can now cast spells. See if it works:
    elminsterHeindrich
    Great stuff! Works like a charm.

What exactly did you do?

And if I can pester you again, could you possibly reset the Ranger Stronghold quest back to before the Orog invasion?
  • LeapchildLeapchild Member Posts: 2
    Had the same problem. Imported my BG1 character into BG2 and dual classed into thief/mage but the cast spells icon was greyed out even though I was able to use the quick spell icons.

I opened up EEkeeper and opened my save game then went to the effects tab and saw that there was a string for a disabled icon, I disabled it and now I can use the icon again.