Skip to content

Proficiencies Mod

wolpakwolpak Member Posts: 390
edited February 2014 in General Modding
This mod is just a simple edit to the 2da files for proficiencies. I have always thought that proficiencies were poorly done in BG for a few reasons.

First, the fact that you know what end game weapons you are going to get leads you to be inefficient early game. I know I want that war hammer that is awesome, so, let me stack up early on it despite no good early game war hammers.

Second, proficiencies are crap for any non-fighter class. What's the point really? Put a pip in so you can wield the weapon as you should and that's it. It almost makes collecting weapons boring for non fighter classes as you have so few proficiencies and they really don't allow you to do anything fun with them.

Thirdly, they are balanced weird. Every class but a fighter maxes out at specialized (2 pips) and then a fighter can get up to 5. It seems like really an annoying approach for fighters who basically have an arbitrary level cap for them to reach grand mastery. It is balanced so poorly.

Lastly, I like the idea of not only focusing on what you are mastering, but also allowing you to use other weapons you come across in the game. It won't stop most people who would still focus on end game weapons, but makes other more valuable than just money makers. Variety adds value to the game.

Anyway, I have added 7 files in the zip that just need to be dropped into your override folder. They are just 2da files. Some changes strengthen, some weaken.

profs.2da:
Fighters get 4 pips at creation, rogues and clerics 3 and mages and monk 2. Fighters types receive an extra proficiency every other level, Cleric and Thief types every 3 levels and mage and monk types every 4 levels.

profsmax.2da
Increases the amount you can put in during a level (since non-fighter classes will be able to get up to 4 profs)

stylebonus.2da
Adds a lot of value into weapon style. First off, if you are just picking up a weapon with no points in a style, you cannot perform critical hits. All styles have a -1 for crits and -1 for speed at 0.
Each pip adds more bonuses. Swordandshield was made stronger and Dual wielding's negative was reduced (it really hampers dual wielders at the beginning of the game and since I reduced initial points to 2, it keeps it slightly more balanced). I also increased the number of stars you can put in a style to 4 with increasing bonuses.

Thac0.2da
A non profs mod, but I threw it in there for whomever wants it. Basically made THAC0 mirror 3e rules, though stopping at level 21 like the original game. Put clerics and rogues on the same THAC0.

Weapprof.2da
Completely overhauled proficiences. Now every class can specialize in any weapon their class can use. Silly that they couldn't before. Rangers and Paladins can now get up to 3 pips in all weapon types and 4 pips in weapons that are deemed for the class (ie, swords and blunt weapons for paladin and short blades, axes and bow for rangers). Barbarians can get 4 pips in everything as well as all fighter multiclasses. Some kits can get 3 pips. Also set limits for all classes for weapon style bonuses.

Honestly, the major advantage of more pips are the attacks. THAC0 and damage tend to lose strength later but attacks are always good. Fighters will always have the attacks, though, if clswpbon gets fixed, some other classes will start getting the half attack. It should be like that and how 3e handles BAB.

wspatck.2da
Moves fighters extra half attack from 2 pips to 3 pips. You should be a master to be able to get the extra half attack.

wspecial.2da
Adjusts what bonuses you get per pip. I'll just put the chart here.
HIT DAMAGE SPEED
0 0 -1 0
1 0 0 0
2 1 2 0
3 2 3 -1
4 3 4 -2
5 4 5 -3

I think this adds a LOT more variety, gives single class non-fighters more value and overall adds a new dimension to the game.

I am sure core rules guys won't like it, but fortunately, most don't have the ability to delete posts. Everyone else...well, they probably won't bother ;)
Post edited by wolpak on
SCARY_WIZARDT2avGawainBSSmilingSwordsemiticgoddess

Comments

• wolpakwolpak Member Posts: 390
    For anyone who cares (and I am sure most don't since they either like the system in place or have modded their own), I have updated the zip which will allow you to put up to 4 stars in a weapon style. They add much more value now.
    SCARY_WIZARDT2avSmilingSword
  • chrstnmonkschrstnmonks Member Posts: 176
    this for bgee or bg2ee
  • fooblefooble Member Posts: 3
    Hi wolpak,

Is this mod compatible with BGEE1 for Android? I have placed the .2da files in the override folder but I am still finding myself limited to the default proficiency caps.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    T2avSmilingSword
  • frostedsquidfrostedsquid Member Posts: 2
    Ok, I tried the Weapprof.2da and now as a F/M/T I can only put 2 pips in two weapon style instead of 3 like before. Thisd doesn't make any sense to me. I can't tell from the description if it changes any other bonuses too, its not very clear.

All I want is a mod that allows me to put up to 5 pips in a weapon and 3 in two handed style as one of my classes is fighter. I don't want to change the bonuses you get or who gets what attacks or anything. I just want to be able to put in full pips like a pure fighter.

Is there a mod that does this? I was going to use the old tweak pack one, but that has a problem with elf long sword proficiency bonus, and I happen to be playing an elf with longswords.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    If you have NearInfinity then edit profsmax.2da so that the fighter_mage_thief entry has 5 under the column other_levels then edit weapprof.2da and update the column fighter_mage_thief, placing a 5 on any weapons proficiency you want to correct. My weapprof.2da already has a 3 for two_weapon for f_m_t but I may have corrected that on my own already.
  • frostedsquidfrostedsquid Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2014
    Ok my game is broken somehow, I can not put more than two pips in any proficiency no matter what. I have completely removed my override folder so I have no mods, and it was a vanilla install before I tried this mod. If I create a human beserker I cannot put more than two pips in anything. It works fine on my BG2EE install. What the hell is going on?

Edit: NM just realized that's how its supposed to be in EE. lame...

The one question I have left is, does this mod work properly with the elf thac0 bonus?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    By AD&D rules, a fighter can't be more than specialized at 1st level. BGEE bends the AD&D rules a bit by allowing Mastery at 3rd level. It's not allowed until 5th by PnP rules.

BG2EE you start at higher level, so yes, you can go beyond specialized at character creation.
    elminster
  • TrasdTrasd Member Posts: 62
    edited July 2014
    For those asking or having trouble, Weapprof.2da works fine for me in BGEE on Android. So far I haven't tried the rest, but I don't imagine there should be any trouble.

A rule of thumb for mods to work with Android is if they go only in the override directory, you will probably be OK (I'm sure there are ways to make some other types of mods work, but I've found override-type mods for everything I wanted to change, so far).

As of right now, I don't plan on adding the other files (I don't think any are interdependent). This is my first BG1 play through (shocking, I know) and I'm keeping it as close to vanillia as I can.

If someone finds a dependency or trouble loading just Weapprof.2da alone, please let me know.
    Post edited by Trasd on
    elminsterT2av
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    edited July 2015
    Nice
    Post edited by T2av on

I love it. It's close to how I modded my game, though I went a little further: I changed weapprof.2da to really reflect each kit's flavor. E.g. kensai can only get 5 *s in longswords & katanas, only 1 in everything else; thieves can get 3 *s in daggers & darts and TWF, 2 *s in shortswords & clubs, and 1 in everything else; beast masters and Druids can master quarterstaves but nothing else; shortswords & daggers for blades, axes & longswords for skalds, longswords & SWF for swashbucklers, et cetera.

Also I gave every dagger 1.5 APR inherently. A thief wielding two daggers can be fairly useful, with 3 APR.

Link?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    I dropped all these in the override folder of BG:EE, but no effect. Can anyone help, please?
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited July 2015

Ok, I tried the Weapprof.2da and now as a F/M/T I can only put 2 pips in two weapon style instead of 3 like before. Thisd doesn't make any sense to me. I can't tell from the description if it changes any other bonuses too, its not very clear.

All I want is a mod that allows me to put up to 5 pips in a weapon and 3 in two handed style as one of my classes is fighter. I don't want to change the bonuses you get or who gets what attacks or anything. I just want to be able to put in full pips like a pure fighter.

Is there a mod that does this? I was going to use the old tweak pack one, but that has a problem with elf long sword proficiency bonus, and I happen to be playing an elf with longswords.

You can do this BG2tweak pack or it's a SCS option, I can't remember which.
    Holy crap realized I answered a question about a year old. Nevermind me, I'm just going to be in the shame corner over here.
    Post edited by SmilingSword on
    T2av

T2av said:

I love it. It's close to how I modded my game, though I went a little further: I changed weapprof.2da to really reflect each kit's flavor. E.g. kensai can only get 5 *s in longswords & katanas, only 1 in everything else; thieves can get 3 *s in daggers & darts and TWF, 2 *s in shortswords & clubs, and 1 in everything else; beast masters and Druids can master quarterstaves but nothing else; shortswords & daggers for blades, axes & longswords for skalds, longswords & SWF for swashbucklers, et cetera.

Also I gave every dagger 1.5 APR inherently. A thief wielding two daggers can be fairly useful, with 3 APR.

Link?
    It was just personal local file editing I did.

Since then, I've spun it out into a much more extensive mod. Check it out here:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/33657/scales-of-balance-post-hac-kits-and-tweaks#latest
    I'm on android, and I don't believe thats android friendly unfortunately
  • Shadowdancer333Shadowdancer333 Member Posts: 1
    Really late to this but seriously... Thank you. I always thought it stupid that ranger/stalkers (Stalkers especially since swords and shanking people are there bread and butter) Couldn't at least achieve master in a weapon type.

But now i can, thank you and now i can feel less guilty by spending a PIP in a slot i will never use just because the level up screen tells me too.