Skip to content

What will Charname be remembered for?

2»

Comments

• RhaellaRhaella Member, Developer Posts: 178
    Obviously becoming a god beats everything, but I think being the one person in the history of forever to actually turn down godhood is fairly memorable as well, especially when it goes hand in hand with ending Bhaal's prospects forever. What was going on in Tethyr was pretty high profile, more so than anything else, I'd say, and people are going to put together what happened eventually.
  • TwoWayFinesseTwoWayFinesse Member Posts: 128
    For being able to drink every beer in the five flagons inn?
    jackjack
  • BlucherBlucher Member Posts: 110
    Achieving god-hood almost certainly; declining god-hood probably not so much. (How many people would really know?)

Other than that, the Battle of the Oasis would rank way up there, even if it wasn't a very important part of the game's plot. Single-handedly (more or less) defeating the army of a major nation would cause everyone, high and low (esp. high), to sit up and take notice (and probably be very worried). It's a very prove-able sort of thing too.
  • CantabCantab Member Posts: 56
    edited February 2014
    Trademeet for sure, they built statues!!! you can't argue with statues. Oh....and having gay sex with an evil half orc... gossip like that sticks.
    abacusgolingarf
  • CatoblepasCatoblepas Member Posts: 96
    Out of all the possible things Charname can do, I'd think achieving Godhood would definitely be at the top, nothing reads 'fame' quite like being literally worshipped by thousands, particularly if Charname was evil. However, WoTC has spoken on this subject and alas-Charname will be forever remembered now as some chump who got shanked by Viekang and died pathetically...I don't think I'll be buying 5th edition.
  • golingarfgolingarf Member Posts: 157
    There's going to be a 5th edition? Here I thought they finally came to their senses and were going back to selling white box.
  • CatoblepasCatoblepas Member Posts: 96
    edited February 2014
    golingarf said:

There's going to be a 5th edition? Here I thought they finally came to their senses and were going back to selling white box.

Yup. What I am referring to is a adventure they released in several editions to promote 5th edition forgotten realms. The Baldur's Gate series being perhaps the most famous FR computer game, my guess is that they thought they'd have a bit of fanservice in it to rope in fans of the games. In it, Abdel Adrian (from the universally hated tie-in novels) AKA the PC is gets shanked by Viekang, aka the joke bhaalspawn who teleports randomly whenever he's afraid. Even if the (low level) pcs save his butt, whichever one of the two survives goes crazy and turns into the slayer and has to be put down like a rabid dog. Then Bhaal peels himself out of them like an itchy sweater.

Basically the PC got retconnend into an immeasurably lamer version of http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Iyachtu_Xvim because WoTC wanted to bring Bhaal back.

If Murder in Baldur's Gate was supposed to be fanservice, IMO they failed and killed whatever interest I might have had in 5th edition.

• golingarfgolingarf Member Posts: 157
    That's really pathetic. FR gods are a dime a dozen - not exactly deep - and Bhaal was one of the sillier ones. I'm amazed they couldn't let him go.

Everyone hates Abdel Adrian though. They should have let Imoen win.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    golingarf said:

That's really pathetic. FR gods are a dime a dozen - not exactly deep - and Bhaal was one of the sillier ones. I'm amazed they couldn't let him go.

Everyone hates Abdel Adrian though. They should have let Imoen win.

When the slain look down at their wounds, they'll hear, "HEYA, IT'S ME, IMOEN!" before being sent to Another Dimension.
  • KalesraKalesra Member Posts: 234
    I think achieving godhood could have the biggest long-term impact. Sure, CHARNAME could just be some minor god with a few crazy cult members who eventually fades out of memory. But all of the various deeds he/she has performed (whether good or evil) means a potential for lots of followers. Also, he/she is replacing an established god, and if CHARNAME is evil it would be easy to instantly inherit the followers of Bhaal. Over time, there could be temples to CHARNAME all over the Faerun, with priests practicing miracles or atrocities in his/her name.
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    edited February 2014
    To those that voted "Resolving the iron crisis/freeing the cloakwood slaves/solving the nashkell mines demon mystery", I seriously doubt that Charname will forever be remembered for those acts of "heroism", depening on whether you're good or evil, because the intro of BG2 SoA claims that eventually the authorities of Baldur's Gate find out that Charname is a Bhaalspawn as well, which is what forced Charname to leave the Sword Coast. Would they continue to call Charname a hero, or would they assume that Charname has ulterior evil motives for stopping the Iron Throne and Sarevok? The latter seems more plausible to me. I wouldn't call a Bhaalspawn a hero and risk giving him or her free reign to do whatever he or she pleases, whether his/her intentions are good or not.
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    You know, it strikes me. As legends get older facts get cloudier. Its very likely that CHARNAME would be remembered for all of this, but people might not believe one man is capable of all these amazing deeds. As a result, each of these deeds might be believed to be done by different Bhaalspawn. Perhaps all with strangely similar names
    jackjack
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    edited February 2014
    Quite a few of these on the list are quite memorable. My idea of the most memorable, in order of most to least:
    1. Reevor's Rats (the Realms thank CHARNAME for solving that crisis...that is, if s/he did kill the rats...)
    2. Godhood Status/ The 5: If a new God (who has, presumably, an already famous individual from all of the other things on the list) pops up in the Forgotten Realms, lots of people are going to know it: specially one with the notoriety of being a former god's kid and doing all of that other stuff. Plus, the way the cinematics make it, the 5 were actually a huge issue south of Athkatla, and stopping them seems like a huge deal.
    3. Stopping Sarevok/Iron Crisis: I feel like these two go hand in hand, as most people have connected the two thanks to Volo and other helpful storytelling NPCs. Yep, everyone in that room where Sarevok was promoted to Grand Duke saw you out him and save them--I am pretty sure CHARNAME will be remembered for that with some help from the Mayor of Beregost spreading rumors, the numerous NPCs you can travel with, and Volo around.
    4. Trademeet: I don't often look into FR lore, but Trademeet seemed like a big town, and they made statues of you and you got a lot of rep and djinni noticed you, and a big druid circle noticed you and and and... seems pretty important and well known to me.

Others:
    Cult of the Eyeless: really this quest only the church cared about, and no one but the temple district seemed to care that their gods could be false (maybe Gaul just hadn't spread the word well enough yet).
    Killing BodhI: I guess it depends on how you do it. When asking for help from the Order, Drizzt, and/or Shadow Thieves, I am sure it is very well known. But I rarely ask for their help as they get in my way so not many people know about it necessarily.
    Irenicus/ Tree of Life: Well the elves know about it to be fair, but they don't seem to keen on sharing their lore (remember Elhan being super-duper secretive about everything Suldanessellar?) so while they remember you forever, the rest of the world might not. Clearly a memorable event, but not as many will remember it.
    Oasis: I am still playing through ToB for the first time in 4+ years, so I really don't remember this part? Might update when I get to that part again...
    mjs
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Well, if CHARNAME becomes a divinity, then that for sure. If not then probably stopping Sarevok. Although his role in the Bhaalspawn Wars could trump that, I'm just not sure how history would tell that more confusing story.
  • JenzafarJenzafar Member Posts: 303

Elves live longest, so they will remember Charname long after generations of men have died and forgotten. Also, saving their sacred tree is much more of a big deal than even saving cities or preventing a regional war. Their tree links to the elven Parthenon, and is a direct connection to elven godhood which is why Irenicus wanted to subvert its power. This event is arguably more important than Charname's own ascension in ToB.

They might remember it, but they're such an insulated society. Would they really want anyone to know some outsider came in and saved their precious tree when their own Leaf Lord could barely be bothered to even unlock the palace door (and wouldn't have, if Charname hadn't found his sacred altar knickknacks?) Hell, they don't even trust you anymore at the beginning of ToB, even after all you've done.

Anyway, I'd like to be remembered for ridding a warehouse of rabid chickens . . . and an inn of green slimes. Guess I have a thing for pest management.

• CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    I think the first three options are actually very similar.

Overall, it's hard to decide. The events of BG II are more exciting than those of the first game, but they're also mostly personal affairs for Charname and her/his companions while the Iron Crisis and the accompanying tensions between Baldur's Gate and Amn are of an international scale and would draw much more attention than the hunt for Irenicus.

My memories on ToB are a bit foggy, but southern Amn and Tethyr are a war zone even without bhaalspawn killing each other and rejecting godhood should not something that becomes widely known, I guess.