Skip to content

Figuring out enemy weaknesses?

I've played for awhile, but one of the things that always irked me is that the requirement for spells to work tends to be very specific to things like the amount of HP the enemy has (Power Word: Sleep), Hit Dice (Command), Saving Throws (virtually everything), or just plain immunity.

So is trial and error really the best way to figure out what the best means of deposing an enemy is? It feels kind of meta-gaming to keep looking online for battle tactics (though I do that quite often) it would be nice to sort of know "hey I'm gonna be fighting these guys so I need to prep these spells." It's rather infuriating to be wasting half my memorized spells on enemies that they don't even work against, I can forgive a save vs. spell, that happens, but many times it seems as if the spell just fails without rolling any saving throws and I'm left scratching my head.

Any advice on the best way to actually figure out what works and what doesn't? I almost wish I could steal those "Scan" spells from JRPGs that give you detailed enemy info -_-

Comments

• abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Just trial and error/meta-knowledge really. And knowing that FighterHP>ClericHP>MageHP...

I usually ignore those spells... if an enemy has so few HP/HD they're already dead...
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    well I always tried to make an educated guess based on what kind of opponent I fought e.g undead/humanoid/magical
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    Trial and error is the strategy I employ.

Here are some other thoughts I had from your question that may or may not be relevant to your situation:

*It also helps to take time and really learn the spells. Not only for your capabilities, but also to learn what the enemy is doing and how to counter it. And as @abacus said, at a certain point those spells with strict criteria are simply not worth your time.
    *Use potions, wands, and scrolls. You've been carting them around all game, so when you meet a tough foe, it's time to break them all out. I've learned a lot from using wands and scrolls I seldom have memorized.
    *Really pay attention to the combat notifications. For tough fights I play with the notification area maximized. I also make sure to display combat rolls. If you are hitting, but not damaging or damaging for very little, you know you need to change tactics. Often you can find clues to what the enemy is susceptible to by reading the text.
    *For tough battles I use the auto-pause when spell cast, weapon unusable, and end of round. It's easy to get caught up in the speed of battle. The autopause forces one to slow down and think and not waste precious rounds for spellcasters.
    *Keldorn with Carsomyr/true sight/dispel is your friend :D
    *Shorty saves are your friend :D
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Most of my knowledge of immunities comes from pen & paper D&D. These games are fairly consistent with that!
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    edited March 2014
    I think it would be a really nice touch if they were to add in more versions of Elminster's Ecologies which you find in ToB to the rest of the saga. They would be a great help for new players.

There also used to be a few tips during the loading screens in original BG2.

• dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    Black Pits is an education in opposition.
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    Also...blunt weapons hit undead harder, usually harder than your primary, unless it is highly magical.