Skip to content

IGN "Top 11 D&D Games of All-Time"

13»

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Luigi is the greatest videogame character of all time.
  • RhymeRhyme Member Posts: 190
    That 50 Greatest List also angers me.

HK-47 is apparently not as great a character as Pac-Man and the announcer from Unreal Tournament. Good to know.
  • CrucadesCrucades Member Posts: 36
    TJ_Hooker said:

Crucades said:
    I think that list makes a lot more sense if you replace "Greatest" with "Most Iconic".
    Definately, but then Minsc would be number 1 and Freeman would be behind whereever the colonial marine from Doom takes place in the list :p

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @Curcades No my friend I'm sorry but likely Master Chief or Mario would be at #1. Sadly.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Crucades said:

TJ_Hooker said:

Crucades said:
    I think that list makes a lot more sense if you replace "Greatest" with "Most Iconic".
    Definately, but then Minsc would be number 1 and Freeman would be behind whereever the colonial marine from Doom takes place in the list :p

The Doomguy is damn too iconic so he'll be there.

If this were about good written characters, I'm sorry but Duke Nukem had much much more background that the Doomguy. Even the Mjolnir Recon Unit 51 has more background than him.
    Quartz said:

Curcades No my friend I'm sorry but likely Master Chief or Mario would be at #1. Sadly.

Who's the master Master Chief? From what game is it? I don't think that there is a more iconic character from gaming than the Doomguy, well, maybe Minsc or someone else, but... Mario is 4 with luck, Duke Nukem will also go near the top. Wasn't Bastilla Shan iconic enough for thee? And then we'll have to add lots of bad characters from Arcade games 0.o even Pac-Man is more iconic than Mario. And why the hell people don't consoder TNO iconic???
    edited February 2014
    @CrevsDaak Umm, Halo, dood.

After Half-Life, silent protagonists were all the rage. Thankfully that has mostly died down.
    @Quartz I'm a Marathon guy, I certainly haven't played more Halo than LOTS of Halo 1 Multiplayer in school, but no campaign.

I haven't played Half-Life much, only gave it a try some years ago in a friend's PC. Do you mean that there are more silent protagonists? Or that he was the guy that broke the silence? (Sorry but I don't get it).
    @CrevsDaak Yeah, Gordon Freeman of Half-Life was silent. And since Half-Life 1 and 2 were both trend-setters in the first person shooter genre, silent protagonists became common for quite some time.

It's funny because I think with games in 2013 like BioShock Infinite and The Last of Us, we are finally seeing some important games break the mold.

And before a moderator comes in and whines about thread derailment: It's my own bloody thread, nobody else is striking up a conversation about the initial topic, pretty sure I can do what I want.
    edited February 2014
    @Quartz I really can't say much. I've played some Bioshock Infinite (and yeah, you talk a lot sometimes) but nothing more, there were some other FPS with silent protagonists (Marathon comes to mind) before Half-Life. I don't think that it was gone too off topic, it's still about rating gaming stuff on internet... :)
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I've been interested in trying out mass effect. I don't really like shooting games but I hear this one actually has a story that is pretty damn good and some memorable characters. One of my suite-mates from college played 1 and 2 and loved it, but last we spoke he said 3 was terrible.
    Is there another shooting game with a good story or good characters?
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited February 2014
    Have you played KOTOR? If you have, Mass Effect is a LOT like that. If you haven't, you should absolutely check it out. It's based on the same basic rules as D&D and it's Star Wars. KoTOR 2 was also very good, but it kind of fell apart in the end due to time constraints in development. Still worth the time in my opinion.

Mass Effect was good, but KOTOR was a lot better. Mass Effect got lighter on the RPG elements as the games progressed though so if you are looking for that, be aware. Overall they are excellent for what they are though.

But the question is, are you really looking for a 'Shooting' game, given you said you don't like them? What other RPGs have you played?

If you really are looking for a Shooter with a good story line, but don't mind significantly dated graphics, check out System Shock 2. That was almost the pinnacle of hybrid between RPG and shooter. At least in my opinion.

Is there another shooting game with a good story or good characters?

Hmmm...

BioShock; Single player, great setting, great atmosphere, fairly memorable characters, somewhat forgettable story (although the plot twist is great), some horror and RPG elements.
    BioShock Infinite; Single player, great setting, good atmosphere, very memorable characters (the two main characters, one of which you play, form a very interesting bond), fantastic story.
    Half-Life 2 (1 is kind of dated at this point and you can figure things out if you start from HL2); Single player, amazing sci-fi setting, great atmosphere, memorable characters, some rather entertaining gun play with the Gravity Gun. While the story line is clear, the details behind the universe can be observed by looking around in the environments (NO CUTSCENES). Also after it, HL2: Episode 1 and 2. HL2: Episode 2 is probably my favorite single player shooter evaaarrr.
    Left 4 Dead is somewhat shallow, once again Valve is doing their "tell the story through the environment screw cut scenes" trick. Multiplayer co-op shooter, team of four, if you don't work together you die plain and simple. My personal favorite game of all time (yes, even beating Baldur's Gate and Sonic 3 & Knuckles).
    You might enjoy Borderlands. May as well play 2 at this point and skip 1, 1 is dated and you don't miss out on much anything. Open-world shooter, jacked up humor, intriguing universe, co-op, fair amount of RPG elements.

But the question is, are you really looking for a 'Shooting' game, given you said you don't like them? What other RPGs have you played?

^^^ this. Hope I didn't waste my time writing all that xD
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    Pfff... 1st place NWN2 (3.5e rules !), 2nd the BG series, 3rd Planescape.