Skip to content

IGN "Top 11 D&D Games of All-Time"

Pretty good article figured you guys might like.

Linky:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/05/the-top-11-dungeons-dragons-games-of-all-time

(I so called #1 and #2 before even reading it LOL)

I haven't even played Planescape. I have a feeling that when I finally do I'm gonna have a nerdgasm.

Comments

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    Good list. I particularly like that TWO Gold Box games made the list! GoldBoxEE can't be far behind...
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    Good list, but I was surprised IWDII did not make it. I would have inserted it right at the place of its predecessor. I have always felt it was much more complete and enthralling than IWDI. Other than that, kudos to BGII and P:T, it's always nice to be reminded you're the best, although I don't think many needed any reminder.
  • CatoblepasCatoblepas Member Posts: 96
    Nice to see so many familiar titles on that list. Still, I think NWN2 and IWD2 deserve spots above their predecessors on that list. Looking over that list makes me realize just how many D&D games were being released. Compared to today, it's rather disheartening.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Yeah, NWN2 never looked good for it's time, and is indeed still clunky even on modern machines. Still buggy with the last official patch released too. Added to that the initial official campaign was a dull story with unlikable characters (almost as if it where a Dragon Age game).

I do remember a Dark Sun game that was pretty good, that didn't make the list.
  • RhymeRhyme Member Posts: 190
    RAGE!

I got to #4, and the author had the audacity to say, "No, not that one" in reference to the old MMORPG on AOL.

RAGE!!!!

How dare you slight one of the greatest and most important games of all time!

RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sigh... It's okay. It's been 17 years since the greedy bastards at AOL shut it down because it was keeping people from playing their "premium games" (read: AOL's attempt to get people to pay by the hour again after AOL went "unlimited"). I'm not still bitter about it or anything.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    Yeah Fardragon I remember liking the game engine for Dark Sun quite a lot. It was sort of intermediate step in the isomorphic, turn based style. More sophisticated than Gold Box, still well short of Infinity Engine.
    But I think it was only mediocre on story, and I never liked the setting. I think great things could have been done with it, but it never quite became great.

It's interesting to me how the list celebrates innovation over polish. So Pool of Radiance makes the list, while Treasures of the Savage Frontier (easily the best Gold Box game, but also the last) does not. Eye of the Beholder makes the list, while Mensoberranzon does not.
    I'm not complaining mind you, I actually agree. But its interesting what a rare thing BG2 is, for developing and refining a model so successfully its even more respected than the initial incarnation of the game engine.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    so for such a small genre, was it necessary for a top 11 list?

Also, no ToEE? Sure it was way buggy, but come on. it was still awesome, particularly with the Co8 patch.

Thirdly, Eye of the beholder came in 8th and UNDER Dark Alliance? Um.....

Still, Points for Pool of radiance (and for NOT including Ruins of Myth Dranor) and champions of Kyrnn. both excellent games and definitely worth the inclusion.
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    I'm with all the people who don't understand why IWD2 and ToEE arn't on here. IWD2 was great but suffered from extremely dated graphics. It did the best it could with what it had and did a good job of it. ToEE was an amazing adaptation of 3.5 rules and if I'm being totally honest I learned more about combat from that game then I did from my first few DnD games, wich were very combat light.

My guess? These two games are a bit more obscure then those on this list. ToEE had terrible bug problems but the fact people who enjoyed the game went as far as the fix the whole thing up should say plenty. IWD2 would have been amazing...if released years before.

Still, not a bad list. I'm a bit miffed Dark Alliance is on there but to be fair thats because when I first found it I was incredibly disappointed it had so little to do with the main series of games, and not because it was in any way a bad game.
    I personally would love to see ToEE:EE (or is that to many E's?) EE. AdmittedlE most of the work has bEEn donE, but anything that could opEn the door for ToEE2 wouldn't bEEE a bad thing in my book. I'd pay for the game again just for that possibility. EE.

I liked IWD2 and played it. For me, it not only suffered from dated graphics (which is only a very minor offense in my book) but also in that it tried to do 3.0 rules, sort of. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed NWN (1 and 2) and played 3.X rules in those games and enjoyed them. It just felt like IWD didn't do a full implementation (limited class choices and very few (if any??) prestige classes). I'd still rate it above Dark alliance.

I'd also rate all of the gold box games higher. I remember with great fondness, taking a party from Phlan all the way through the Pools of Darkness. My personal favorite was 'Secret of the Silver Blades', but I thought they all had merit. Shame about the Hillsfar game being such a dud.

I also really enjoyed the gold box Krynn games and played all three games and really had a great time. I'd think they should also be on the list.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited February 2014
    IWD2 dated graphics ... lol. Dated engine, maybe. Like OK I understand that the whole industry was busy doing that whole 2D to 3D transition and everyone who wasn't going 3D was ridiculed, but still, the pre-rendered isometric 2D looked waaaaaay better than all of the 3D games for like a decade before 3D finally started to look half-way decent. Notice how Myst only started looking dated fairly recently? Pretty crazy stuff.

Everyone was pushing 3D even though the 2D games genuinely looked better. A dark time, to be sure. Neverwinter Nights is one of the most hideous games I have ever laid my eyes on. Oh, and pretty much every N64, Saturn, and PS1 game was atrocious as well. Crash Bandicoot looked decent somehow. Legend of Dragoon looked amazing because ... OOPS guess what, pre-rendered superior yet again!

I could rant about that 3D transition in the gaming industry for ages to be honest I should probably just shut up xD Let's just say I think it produced a lot of mediocre games, and I mean a lot, because everyone felt like they *needed* to make their games 3D.

I'm sure no one's surprised to hear a 3D transition rant from a known Sonic fan, however. Heh
    You aren't getting any arguments from this poster on the fact that the focus on graphics caused a serious hit to fun and intuitive game play. My main focus is on an enjoyable game, and considering that I really liked and played games like Zork and the really early Ultima games, I'm thinking that graphics are a 'Nice to have' if anything.

However, seems to me that the original Unreal looked pretty amazing at the time, and really did blow away the 2D isometric perspective (for graphics alone). I'm not making any comment on the Quality of the game or game play, merely that the graphics were pretty stunning for the time.

And I'm not one to say that, so long as it doesn't impact game play, that there really is no excuse for NOT having a pretty game considering the technology.

As a side note, anyone else here see the Big Bang Theory episode where Sheldon found an emulator that ran Zork?
    Lol. You took that way too personally @the_spyder
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    ...? How did he take that personaly? It seemed pretty calm and reasonable to me.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Temple of Elemental Evil should definitely be there somewhere. Also I'd put NWN2 over NWN1 if I was in charge, though I have limited experience with both games.

However, the one thing that makes this list awful? Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance????????????? Whaaaa?
    That's almost as bad as putting the Baldur's Gate "novels" on a list of Top One Million D&D Books

...? How did he take that personaly? It seemed pretty calm and reasonable to me.

It certainly was calm and reasonable but it also seemed pretty defensive. I'm merely clarifying that I meant no offense.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    God I need to play PS:T......
  • CatoblepasCatoblepas Member Posts: 96
    While The Dark Alliance games might not have been very classically rpg-like, and get compared unfavorably to their PC namesake because of it, they were excellent hack and slash games. Not comparable to the awful book tie-ins at all.

As for NWN2, I think NWN2 has some definite improvements over NWN in several areas. The expanded race selections was certainly welcome, as were the deity selections and new classes. Want to be a Tiefling? Sun Elf? deep Gnome? Go ahead. It was quite liberating IMO to get the chance to customize your character that much more. Now granted, it was rather alarming how infrequently npcs seemed to notice when you were playing something like a *Drow favored soul of Lloth* but it was still a welcome addition in terms of customization after so many D&D games that didn't let you choose subraces or let you choose from a small set of deities (and usually only for clerics).

The camera was irredeemably horrible though in NWN2, that much is certain.

Personally I want an Infinity engine game with the depth of customization in race/class/deity that NWN2 gave. IWD2 came closest I think.
    Quartz said:

Lol. You took that way too personally @the_spyder

LOL. No offense was taken. Nor was any offense or criticism intended. Merely discussion.

It's all a point of view in any case and therefore highly subjective. No harm done.

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    deltago said:

Two words on why NWN2 never made this list: The Camera.

Dear me, it's been so long since I've played it, forgot how truly awful the camera is - I'm gonna go ahead and call that strike three.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Is that Eye of the Beholder for the GBA...? I always got stuck on the second floor of that game and never gotten past it.
    It was originally a PC game and had a sequel called the legend of Darkmoon. I thought both games were loads of fun at the time, having completed each several times. I agree that they deserve some mention on the list, certainly higher than Dark alliance. But again, subjective.

Is that Eye of the Beholder for the GBA...? I always got stuck on the second floor of that game and never gotten past it.

@Nonnahswriter That's ... Pretty hilarious that we both had the GBA version and got stuck in the same spot.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

While The Dark Alliance games might not have been very classically rpg-like, and get compared unfavorably to their PC namesake because of it, they were excellent hack and slash games. Not comparable to the awful book tie-ins at all.

@Catoblepas I guess I just don't like hack & slash games, so I thought it was meh. I beat it once though, on easy, which is more than I can say for pretty much any game I've played. However I can count the number of non-Infinity Engine games that I've beaten/played seriously on my fingers (Smash Bros, Mario 64, Pokemon, Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and Max Payne) so maybe it isn't as bad as I make it out to be if I managed to sit through it without being super bored.

Personally I want an Infinity engine game with the depth of customization in race/class/deity that NWN2 gave. IWD2 came closest I think.

Hell. Yes.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Quartz said:

@Nonnahswriter That's ... Pretty hilarious that we both had the GBA version and got stuck in the same spot.
    Oh the Fates! They toy with us!

Seriously though, I could not figure out where to go to save my life. I searched for buttons to press, secret doors, monsters to kill, wandered around in circles for hours, and...nothing. Finally decided it was a stupid game and tucked it in the corners of my library for all eternity.

Typical middle-school-aged mentality. "This game's too hard! It's stupid!" XD