Skip to content

Bizarre Accents

Something that has always been in my mind and I cannot make peace with is the presence of such bizarre accents in the Baldur's Gate series.
As a student of linguistics, I find myself struggling to make ends meet when it comes to what the hell the voice actors were trying to convey with such whimsical inflections. Like Jaheira, who seems to have become lost somewhere between basque , "nondescript eastern european" and yiddish; Rasaad, with his intricate mixture of a faux-british accent and either turkish or arab, which sometimes fails to conceal Mark Meer's natural canadian accent (he's never been really good with those); Xan, who epitomizes the so called "gay accent" (I think the voice actor went for a San Franciscan accent, but somehow ended up with this); Safana, who is best described as "three packets of cigarettes and a bottle of port a day";
Also, the accents are not even consistent, for instance, Rasaad, Safana and Khalid are all Calishites, yet feature wildly different accents, which is incredibly odd, given that Calimshan is not exactly the biggest of the realms, nor a cradle of multiculturality.

What are your thoughts on this matter? Feel free to add any eccentricities you feel would enrichen this discussion.

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Fantasy accents don't have to follow rules or match any real accents. That's the whole point of them being fantasy accents. Khalid is obviously away from home for a long time and with a wife who may not speak his native language. He's also an elf, and Jaheira a half elf, so they may have spoken an Elven language much more than the human common language from their homelands. Safana was with pirates, who knows where she's been or from what people she picked up languages - it's probably a wild mix of various accents and not much of her native accent anymore. What you critize about Safana is also her voice, not her accent, so I don't really understand the point. Would you be fine with her accent if she had a "girlier" voice?

The size of a nation or spread of a language also has little to do with similarity of accents. I speak (native) German and there is more than one accent/dialect I don't understand without subtitles. Not alone with that either; on various TV programs, German-to-German subtitles exist due to the strong accents. And you still hear accents in other languages; at least I can seperate someone from Austria speaking English from a Saxon speaking English and so on.

Xan, to me, sounds like a typical school teacher. I don't hear an accent from him. Either way, if he has one, I'd say being an elf and likely speaking an Elven language could contribute to him sounding different than other people from his homeland.
  • LoubLoub Member Posts: 471
    edited February 2014
    Correction: Both Jaheira and Khalid are HALF-elves, Jaheira's apparent dominant heritage being elven, Khalid's being human.
    Jaheira is also ethnically Tethyrian, a hotch-potch of the Iberian Peninsula and a multicultural center. Which does not make much sense, given her vaguely eastern accent, but if you stretch a little bit, it could be considered either french or basque as well. Or one of the many, many different Spanish dialects spoken in Spain.

The cigarettes and port part was a joke, in case you hadn't noticed. What I'm criticizing Safana for is that her accent resembles neither pirate (if there is such a thing) nor turkish (Calimshan being based on the Ottoman empire), instead being undeniably American, also being a lot more sophisticate than what I would expect from a pirate wench, but that might have something to do with her noble heritage, which does not make sense, given the fact that Rasaad (other Calishite) speaks with a (obviously fake) turkish accent. She also sounds very much like an expensive prostitute. I think she also smells like one. She also looks a lot like Jessica Chobot, a reporter famous for climbing her way up on the corporative ladder by licking a PSP 1000... rather suggestively.
    Also, I don't think Xan's accent is in any way due to the Elvish language, to me, most elves sound vaguely British, exceptions include Xan himself (San Francisco), Viconia, who sounds high-class Canadian, and Aerie, who has the bizarre "virtue" of having an unaccent, if such a thing is possible.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    haha, Yeah, I do appreciate what you're saying about the accents. But they are excellent, and refreshing in their own way. Nothing grates me more than the fact that every character between SoA and Tali'Zorah seems to be given an American voice actor!! An exaggeration, of course, but it generally follows that American voice actors are the dominant market in video games (or at least in protagonists).

It is a stretch - and a lazy conclusion - but inconsistency with accents can be dismissed by those who aren't so bothered by it by saying that the accents may not be consistent with real life accents, but might work just fine for Faerun. Even if the Calishite region is based on the Ottoman's, must they therefore be Turkish?

A troll(ish) argument, but hey.
    edited February 2014
    Rasaad's accent is turkish. Barely. And it matches the description of Calimshan.
  • iAmGoatBoyiAmGoatBoy Member Posts: 72
    I would assume that Safana's odd accent is largely an affectation... she uses sexuality as a tool and a weapon, so she probably goes to great lengths to sound "seductive", obscuring her natural tone somewhat. In other words, "expensive prostitute" is probably what she was going for.

Xan, I will gladly accept, makes no sense whatsoever :)
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Loub said:

Safana, who is best described as "three packets of cigarettes and a bottle of port a day";

That made me laugh hard! :D
    Loub said:

Also, the accents are not even consistent, for instance, Rasaad, Safana and Khalid are all Calishites, yet feature wildly different accents, which is incredibly odd, given that Calimshan is not exactly the biggest of the realms, nor a cradle of multiculturality.

What are your thoughts on this matter? Feel free to add any eccentricities you feel would enrichen this discussion.

In medieval England there were regional accents so different that a dude from the south would hardly understand a dude from the north. In France there were even entirely different languages that disappeared with the later centralisation of the state (if I'm not mistaken) and in Germany there was (and to a lesser degree still is) a huge spectrum of different accents that can vary significantly between neighbouring regions. Even the geographically small Switzerland has several languages.

To me it's not a huge problem when different Calishites talk differently.
  • FablewyndFablewynd Member Posts: 79
    Xan's voice is simply Jeff Bennett; you can tell it's him from the first word he speaks as Xan (just as you can tell Minsc is voiced by Jim Cummings from his first sentence). I don't think he's going for any accent in particular, and certainly not a 'gay accent' as you put it (camp, if that's what you're stating). Listen to his work as Owen or the Magus in Gargoyles or other work of his in various cartoons/games; it's simply his 'slightly monotone, depressed voice'.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Loub said:

Also, I don't think Xan's accent is in any way due to the Elvish language, to me, most elves sound vaguely British, exceptions include Xan himself (San Francisco), Viconia, who sounds high-class Canadian, and Aerie, who has the bizarre "virtue" of having an unaccent, if such a thing is possible.

Yes; a mid-atlantic accent, used by Vincent Price and Frasier etc (and in the past was seen as a 'posh' american accent) is exactly that. It's english, but with anything distinctly british or american removed and was created by theater actors obviously travelling between London and New York for work.

There's no reason elves wouldn't variations in their accents. But as it is a fantasy game, I tend not to worry too much about it. Being completely realistic, they wouldn't be speaking modern english at all, or any kind of english. I remember when Russell Crowe got into some argument with a journalist because they said his Nottingham accent for Robin Hood sounded Irish. But the thing is, if he actually spoke like a person from 12th century Nottingham would have, no one, not even people from Nottingham today, would have been able to understand him.

• BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    While I can appreciate when someone messes up your area of expertise, 99% of people just hear 'funny accent'.
    edited February 2014

This thread lost all hope the second you thought "gay accent" was a thing you should say.

I do understand that there is no such thing as a "gay accent", I was using poetic license and it was meant to be humorous (as implied by the precedence of "so-called"). Yes, I do understand that the correct term for it is "camp gay", as named by TVTropes, and yes, I am familiar with literary tropes, had you actually read my posts through a light-hearted lens, things might have worked out differently, but it seems some people are too keen on starting fights and being offended by things that were not meant as such.
    Your willingness to jump into a hasty conclusion without first consulting the source material more thoroughly certainly speaks volumes of the quality of your gray matter.

If you want to pick on that too, go ahead, for it is not I who will be marking myself as even more of a complete and utter fool in the process - Which I just did.
    I apologize to anyone who feels this should be apologized for, my apologies.
    I also apologize for not having apologized earlier.

Number 5
    Post edited by Loub on
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    abacus said:

Being from the same country doesn't necessarily mean accents will be the same... Put a Geordie, a Scouser, a Cockney and a Brum in the same room and that'll be fairly evident. Also, @iAmGoatBoy's point about travellers is very true.

I think, ultimately, the voice casting simply comes down to generating memorably distinct characters.

Understand that people IRL are much more traveled and diverse than they would be in a "Middle ages-eqsue" type environment such as the forgotten realms. People don't tend to move around and are therefore of similar stock and lineage. Therefore, they tend to sound similar.

With that having been said, class does play a part. Upper classes will often adopt a more refined tone simply to differentiate themselves from the plebeians. Not that it explains much, but still.

As for Minsc, he sounds very similar to another character the actor portrays on Clone Wars, so I am not sure he was "Trying" for anything particular except silly.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Soooo... I don't get "joke" about Safana's "accent" (which you entirely base on the "whiskey voice"), @Schneidend rightfully calls you out on using a silly stereotype and again, you claim it was "humor" he didn't get... Don't you think the communication issue might be on your end? If nothing else, the TMI of your own love life hints in that direction. Just saying, if you want a serious discussion about something that bothers you, it greatly helps if you stay away from stereotypes and getting personal, and just stick to the facts and lore.

If nothing else, the TMI of your own love life hints in that direction.

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that. It doesn't really lend to the discussion.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Things that don't exist in D&D:
    Iberian Peninsula, french or basque, many different Spanish dialects spoken in Spain, "pirate accent" in general, turkish, Ottoman Empire, American, Jessica Chobot, British, San Francisco, Canadian.

This sums it all up right here.

The accents in BG are not intended or expected to replicate any single earthly accent because, quite simply, EARTH DOES NOT EXIST IN BG.
    edited February 2014
    I admit I have overreacted.
    And that such personal discussions are uncalled for.
    And that my humor is hard to follow.
    And that I let myself to be carried away by petty squabbles over a misunderstood joke.
    And that I shouldn't express criticism I had pre-expressed over a certain member's certain expressive characteristic in a certain forum feature which certain people use to express their desire to express their certainty.

Bah, this thread has been driven down an abyss to which there is no escaping from.
    Flung down an endless hole, dark and fetid.
    The borders covered in pam's cooking spray, greasy to the point of being unhandable
    Let it rest, to fall for eternity is nothing less than this discussion deserves
    What a waste.

Yes, I have just tried to use my childish attempts at humor to break the ice in a derailed thread. How far must my desire drive dwell in its own patheticity?

Number 5
    edited February 2014
    @KidCarnival
    What. The. Hell.

I am not, by any means trolling, I assure you - my personality is just as whimsical as demonstrated here, if you want straight answers and not bother your grey matter with symbolism, fine, I'll give them to you.

"And that I shouldn't express criticism I had pre-expressed over a certain member's certain expressive characteristic in a certain forum feature which certain people use to express their desire to express their certainty." - Refers directly to Fablewynds' avatar which epitomizes hipsterdom (not looking at the camera, unwashed hair, unkempt beard, hemp beanie)

The number 4 holds special significance to me, mostly because with 4 of them I can make a gem (drawing) as well as being invocative of death, which is associated with renewal and moths, which are forever in a futile quest to follow the light, even if they die by it, much like myself. Going "5" means I have overflown the cup, that is, I have said things I shouldn't have. The 5 lines and 5 repetitions are a personal superstitious mantra so as to make it clear to fate that I have overacted so that I may gain its favor back.

The bad poetry is supposed to be bad, the mention of Pam's Cooking Spray is random so as to break the ice in an otherwise bleak poem. (WTF moments, as I call them, diverting attention from the hopelessness of the situation we find ourselves in)

And I assure you, both the excessive apology in the edited TMI post and self deprecation on the last one are genuine. Would someone as practical myself bother himself with something that serves absolutely no purpose? No.

Edit: Looks like your post was deleted, I genuinely wonder why. honest
    edited February 2014
    @Shandyr
    We all know what you have inside your head, you need not show it to us.

That's it, I'm abandoning this thread, you degenerates can keep excreting on it - you have finally succeeded in derailing it, wow, congratulations! But to what end, I wonder?
    I assure you, my hair is washed regularly, and my beard is quite kempt.

The hat is also wool.
  • LuciusDeiLuciusDei Member Posts: 31
    edited February 2014
    I think... I think... we 'degenerates' don't have the 'grey matter' to grasp this chap's sense of humour.

@Heindrich Just close it. He's already insulted half the posters in here and attacked specific members directly, simply for stating that his wording of certain terms was inappropriate.
    LuciusDei said:

He's already insulted half the posters in here and attacked specific members directly, simply for stating that his wording of certain terms was inappropriate.

Not just in this thread, after looking at the http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/29823/don-t-miss-the-latest-q-a-with-trent-oster#latest thread. Seems he developed a personal vendetta after Schneidend called him out on his 'gay accent' comment and sought him out in other threads.
This discussion has been closed.