Skip to content

Editing party members with EE Keeper

CrucadesCrucades Member Posts: 36
Hey, just wondering if its possible to edit character portraits of your party members with this utility. I have successfully used it to fix my PC since his save file didnt include a portrait when I transfered him from BG:EE and was wondering if I can use it to edit other party members.

Not a fan of the new portraits and saw some nice alternatives in the super portrait pack.

Thanks, and sorry if this question comes up a lot am new to this (and modding).

Comments

• LoubLoub Member Posts: 471
    Just put the portrait files with correct names in the override folder (EG. DornM, ViconiaM) and they'll replace the ones they're shown with from that point on, even on new games.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited February 2014
    The answer is yes. There is a button provided labelled 'Change Portrait.' However, as mentioned, simply copying portraits with the same name to the override folder will work just as well—and will not require the effort of changing the portrait of each individual character.
  • CrucadesCrucades Member Posts: 36
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the tips, however is there a way to edit them with EE Keeper? Ive enjoyed tweaking the PC (making a human able to multi class) and would like to experiment on party members.

Edit: I have looked into my override folder, it only contains the portraits I have downloaded for the portrait pack, where would I find the character portrait folders to copy into the override folder to carry out your suggestion? Thanks.
    edited February 2014
    I don't follow?
    Usually portrait packs made for the game already contain the naming required to be recognized by the game, although you'll have to resize them if they were intended for BG vanillla.
    If you want to add portraits not intended for the characters, you'll have to find out the filenames of the original ones (which you can find in EEKeeper) and then change them to that of the corresponding NPC portrait file (E.G DornM)
    Loub said:

Just put the portrait files with correct names in the override folder (EG. DornM, ViconiaM)

How would I change the portraits by dropping in override folder? Do I simply take the pics I like and rename them the way you suggest? Thanks.

• LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    @Crucades Yes, you can edit your party members as well. I personally don't do it too often, except changing Hexxat's pure Thief to some specialized kit.
    edited February 2014
    @Lathlaer Please give me instructions on how to do that. Am at a lost and admit not very adept at using the utility. Much appreciated.
    edited February 2014
    Answered it.
    This thread can explain it better, I think: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7461/here-s-how-to-use-custom-portraits
    I'm not sure what are the names for BGII, though.
    @Crucades,
    Crucades said:

Thanks for the tips, however is there a way to edit them with EE Keeper?

Note, however, that if you want a permanent solution rather than just a single saved game, then you will need to use an override method. You can find the portrait names in the list in Keeper for both small and large. You will need to rename your own portrait images to whatever the in-game name is, as shown in the list in Keeper.
    @Loub thanks for the link. I attempted to change Nalias portrait. I put the new pics in the portrait folder and overide folder. The files were named NALIA_L.bmp etc but it didnt change the portrait.

Also could use some help in editing party members with EE Keeper still. Cant figure out how to mod anything other than the PC doh.
    @Crucades,
    Crucades said:

I attempted to change Nalias portrait. The files were named NALIA_L.bmp etc but it didnt change the portrait.

Try renaming the portraits (assuming there is more than one) to NNALIAS.bmp, NNALIAM.bmp, and NNALIAL.bmp.
    @Troodon80 Thank you for your clear explanation but I fear I was misunderstood. I know how to change portraits with EE Keeper, I just dont know how to access my party members with it. Apologies on the mix up. My main problem is I cannot call up NPC tabs, such as you demostrated with Jaheria.

When I open my save up it seems all I can tinker around with is my PC. I dont know how to access NPC to edit them in the way you have shown.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited February 2014
    @Crucades

See those little arrow buttons above the Change Portrait button? (And below the actual portrait) That's how you switch between party members in EE Keeper.

Have I understood your question correctly?
    Yes. Thank you very much guys you have helped me overcome all my problems. Very nice community here.
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    edited February 2014
    Also, for some reason when you are doing custom portraits for yourself/NPC's and want to change them via Keeper, your bigger portrait has to end with "M" (as opposed to "L" when you create character from the beginning). Caused me a bit of confusion initially (Keeper couldn't find my portraits :)).
    Thanks for the tip, sometimes EE Keeper can be a bit iffy but am putting that down to my inexperience with using it and modding in general. Sometimes portraits dont update in game even if I follow the same process for portrait updates that work. All in am satisfied with what I have though.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Crucades said:

Sometimes portraits dont update in game even if I follow the same process for portrait updates that work. All in am satisfied with what I have though.

You need to restart the game for portrait updates to take effect.
    @Lathlaer, there are supposed to be three (not any more, though); L, M, and S. As long as S and M are there, Keeper will work. L is just for character creation, and not actually contained within the saved game. I'm correcting the portrait detection code for Keeper so as to be more in line with the game, it will be included in the next minor build.
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    You can do pretty much anything with ee keeper you could make dorn into an illithid paladin that can cast every spell in the game if you wanted to make the effort