Skip to content

Baldur's Gate III or Icewind Dale?

2»

Comments

• sirthaddaeussirthaddaeus Member Posts: 41
    i'd love to see a IWD:EE. adding in the kits, etc. would be awesome. I wonder if they'd be able to add in NPCs and get party interaction going (banters, romances, etc.) without any legal issues with 'changing' the game?
  • sirthaddaeussirthaddaeus Member Posts: 41
    the argument of BG3 can't be done since the story is finished i think is a little premature. Yes the story is over for the main PC of BG1/BG2 and the Bhaalspawn saga. But you could do a BG3 and still include a Bhaal related story line. Such as the one mentioned by @H1gerReflex about Bhaal's essence being in Winding Water around Boareskyr Bridge, see: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Boareskyr_Bridge

As you see at the above link that Boareskyr Bridge is really close to Baldur's Gate and the story of a wizard or other enemy trying to gather that 'essence' and bring Bhaal back or gain his power and a new party of heros are to stop that enemy. Additional side quests, appearances, etc. can be added such as an appearance of Drizzt and his crew, see the link above again.

Another idea is set it around the 'Murder in Baldur's Gate' book that came out last year as it still has the BG PC (Abdel) living. Why not?

Just my personal opinions.
  • CatoblepasCatoblepas Member Posts: 96
    edited February 2014
    I don't think many people would want to play a BG game that A) Includes Abdel Adrien in it or B) involves the PC that they led through the past two games getting shanked by Viekang. Not to mention the rather glaring retcons to the story that MiBG introduced...

IMO a new game separate from the IWD, BG, NWN trio would be ideal. As has been mentioned several times in this thread, there are many places in Faerun and the rest of the Forgotten Realms that have yet to be explored meaningfully yet-to say nothing of the potential for a game set in another setting like Ravenloft, Greyhawk, Dark sun etc.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,331
    I would hope a BG3 would have absolutely nothing to do with the Bhaalspawn story. Is time to make a wholly clean start.
    Now that said, I could easily see re-using the name as part of the marketing. It would mean its another Infinity Engine type game set along the Sword Coast.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    atcDave said:

Well I'd prefer BG3 IF they use 2E, or do an all new story with the BG2EE engine.

But I would rather see IWDEE than anything with a newer rules set or engine.

This.
  • ShadowdemonShadowdemon Member Posts: 80
    thespace said:

An Infinity Engine Ravenloft game would be sweet.

I would also love to see an IE Dark Sun game.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    I hope they never make a BG3, do Icewind Dale or Planescape Enhanced :)
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Personally, it's more "I don't want a Baldur's Gate III game, period" than "I don't want a BGIII from Overhaul".
    Icewind Dale EE, yes. Icewind Dale III, oh yes. New Infinity Engine games, absolutely yes.
  • LesseLesse Member Posts: 81
    I'd like it if they revamped Planescape and Icewind Dale, sure. It's a pain getting games like that to play anymore, and I happily got the BG enhanced editions to have them on Steam.

In regards to Baldur's Gate 3...eh. It's not too polite to say, but I don't think much of their new content. Rasaad aside (as...yeah...*blushes and fumbles like a schoolgirl*) the new stuff seemed a tad too modern for the setting (Neera. Good character, but she felt out of place dialogue wise), overly humourous (Dorn...like every other response you could say to him) or over the top (Hexxat... just as every line felt like a "one liner" if that makes sense. A bit too forced, yet sometimes hysterically amusing). The integration wasn't so seamless, and instead of adding more "vanilla" content *their* content was pretty shoved in your face.

It's not like I'm not grateful, but I think they need a little more practise and understanding of the lore. But hats off to them for taking something like this on.
  • elminster said:

What about Icewind dale 3? :)

This
    Elminster has spoken, there is nothing to be done about it. Try as you must.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317

elminster said:

What about Icewind dale 3? :)

This
    Elminster has spoken, there is nothing to be done about it. Try as you must.
    Pretty much :p
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    What about : Baldice Windale Gate

Its a Winner !!!

Not a EE of Icewind ... We need some new stuff... Same world or another like Krynn !!! ( Dragonlance)
  • blainedeyoungblainedeyoung Member Posts: 13
    I'd like to see a BGIII where you played a god. You play as an avatar of the god. Start at about 9th level character power, but you have some neat things like high ability scores and a pocket plane type deal.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    edited March 2014
    Can we just get an Infinity Engine module maker?

Think games like Blades of Exile/Avernum or Unlimited Adventures... but for IE. Think of it!
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    MacHurto said:

Would prefer a BG3 loosely related to the bhaalspawn saga (in the background). Dont mind devs/wizards to choose a canonical ending/party for ToB. They did for BG1 and we are all ok with it :-D

We are?
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    @Quartz‌ I'd say so. Dont think there is many people that would prefer BG2 not to exist because they picked a cannon party that didnt follow their playthrough.

I am certain it would be the same now. As long as the story is good, the cannon background for BG:ToB ending and party will be irrelevant.

Or perhaps not. After all, we are now older and more demanding and making a BG3 is like releasing The Expendables. It is not really the young kids that want to see it and pleasing the old guys (such as me) that have deified BG/BG2 will be hard no matter what.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited March 2014
    MacHurto said:

@Quartz‌ I'd say so. Dont think there is many people that would prefer BG2 not to exist because they picked a cannon party that didnt follow their playthrough.

I didn't realize my only options are canon party of Minsc, Dynaheir, Jaheira, Khalid, and Imoen, or else no game at all.

EDIT:
    Ahh, I get the comparison you are drawing now. Well I'm on the "NO BGIII" side of things so I have nothing useful to say on the matter.

Because this:
    Lesse said:

In regards to Baldur's Gate 3...eh. It's not too polite to say, but I don't think much of their new content. Rasaad aside (as...yeah...*blushes and fumbles like a schoolgirl*) the new stuff seemed a tad too modern for the setting (Neera. Good character, but she felt out of place dialogue wise), overly humourous (Dorn...like every other response you could say to him) or over the top (Hexxat... just as every line felt like a "one liner" if that makes sense. A bit too forced, yet sometimes hysterically amusing). The integration wasn't so seamless, and instead of adding more "vanilla" content *their* content was pretty shoved in your face.

It's not like I'm not grateful, but I think they need a little more practise and understanding of the lore. But hats off to them for taking something like this on.

Post edited by Quartz on
  • davendaven Member Posts: 112
    If there ever was a BG3.. which there shouldn't because there's no point. It would have to be all the original people who made the first 2 games. But they've all moved onto other things as it should be.

Game set in Kara-Tur or Waterdeep.. or anywhere different!