Skip to content

Baldur's Gate III or Icewind Dale?

Awhile back it was said that if BG 1 & 2 did well that there could possibly be a BG 3. But what about Icewind Dale EE? I think I'd like to see that. Anyone else?

Comments

• NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    I honestly would rather have IWD:EE before BG3. I want to be able to move my black pits group there. Say thats where they ended up after the first pit battle. Sadly my black pits crew is two half orcs and not a single character who's not using a kit.

I would honestly rather see IWD:EE or a whole new game more then BG3. BG3 would just have too much to live up too, and BG is pretty much a completed story. I say let it lie and work on new things.
  • H1gherReflexH1gherReflex Member Posts: 18
    I actually wouldn't mind BG III. One last hurrah. I recall reading a long time ago that somewhere Bhaal's essence is gathered and could possibly lead to him coming back through that. I think it was the Winding Water around Boarskyr Bridge.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317

What about Icewind dale 3? :)

This
  • wolpakwolpak Member Posts: 390
    BG3 should be a prequel and focused on Saul Goodman.
    Open world BG3 anyone?
    Very valid point.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited February 2014
    Well, Icewind Dale EE. Though I would prefer even more Planescape Torment EE. With the coming of Torment: Tides of Numenera, people would want to replay the original on new systems and with the engine enhanced.

I don't think we need a Baldur's Gate 3. The Bhaalspawn saga and Gorion's Ward tale is over. Call it something else.

And to be honest, I think the Icewind Dale games play perfectly to date. Though they could include the kits from the BG games etc.
    And Icewind Dale II could use an engine improvement as they didn't have time to implement hardware acceleration for example.

Only after IWD and PST are Enhanced, only then would I want a new Infinity Engine EE game. And not a BG3.

And oh my god would I pay 60+ euros/dollars for an Enhanced Edition of NwN2. Though it would screw PWs and mods badly, most likely.

And yes, if any series should get a sequel, that's Icewind Dale. Give us IWD3 in the future.
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    edited February 2014
    I am not a fan of IWD. No NPC interaction made it boring imho. Would prefer a BG3 loosely related to the bhaalspawn saga (in the background). Dont mind devs/wizards to choose a canonical ending/party for ToB. They did for BG1 and we are all ok with it :-D would prefer if all that abdel business was scrapped though and they sticked to the game ending. Dont mind a change in rules version either.

To be honest, I would just like to have a good RPG storywise. For me, that they do something related to the aftermath of the bhaalspawn crisis and meeting old NPCs would be a huge added bonus. I dont ask for more :-)
    They MIGHT be able to pull an "After Years" like Square Enix did for Final Fantasy IV where you basically play with Cecil's son instead of himself.
    Though that's an JRPG.

With the BG games, you cannot have a canonical sequel.
    "Your story begins after your father CHARNAME and Aerie had a baby, after he rejected the taint"
    People would be like:
    "...Woah, woah. What baby? In my ending I was a lesbian that romanced Hexxat and became the new Lady of Murder."

And I wouldn't want to be some random person either.
    The Bhaalspawn saga is over with the ending of ToB. End of story, literally and figuratively.

Make a new game based on the BGIIEE engine. Sure why not. Make a new Infinity Engine game. Absolutely yes.
    Honestly I'm just wanting another game in the same setting. Story doesn't have to be focused on Bhaal at all. With the name Baldur's Gate in the title and subtle little hints to the previous story, but not focused one them. That would be just fine for me.
    Still, I wouldn't a game with the Baldur's Gate title that had nothing to do with the Baldur's Gate PC games.
    We already got those and they're called Dark Alliance for the consoles.

For me and I think many (considering how offensive some are towards the Dark Alliance games, even though they're good Diablo-clones) the Baldur's Gate games are the Bhaalspawn saga.

BG1: The beginnings of CHARNAME
    BG2: The evolution of CHARNAME
    ToB: The final choice and destiny of CHARNAME

It's like making a new Matrix movie and not including Neo. Or a new Dragonball anime and not having Goku.
    Just no.

If it's a new game in the spirit of BG and with a similar engine, then I would love it.
    I didn't like the Dark Alliance games. I'm not a fan of games that stick to one area and just make the same dungeon go deeper and deeper before you leave the area.
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    To be honest, any canonical ending they make would likely be one of my charnames :-) even if it isnt, it does not bother me too much.

As for the new character, a random person suits me fine. It shouldnt be related to charname, though. Too restrictive. Could be the child of another bhaal spawn or something completely different.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790

Open world BG3 anyone?

With the poor main plot? No thanks. I would want to see a cRPG not a sandbox game.

Open world BG3 anyone?

With the poor main plot? No thanks. I would want to see a cRPG not a sandbox game.

Agreed. And I wouldn't like BG3 to be a Skyrim clone. BG1 is as open world as it should be.
  • sarethsareth Member Posts: 54
    edited February 2014
    IWD1-2:EE and Planescape Torment:EE pls.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    I'm sorry to say but I don't think the current team has what it takes to develop a full new game - While I love the improvements etc. I am underwhelmed by the new content and the bugfixing and patching is for me unacceptably slow and especially the new content is buggy and unpolished and can't be completed without reloads and sometimes even console workarounds. They are hard pressed to introduce/maintain two enhanced games on four platforms.

If I extrapolate that to a new game from scratch? Doesn't look good, at least not without a serious increase in staffing. I would certainly not buy in the first 6 months at least.

Stick to what you do reasonably well - enhanced editions with the lessons learned incorporated in the next project and IWD I and II the best target for that.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    @Skaffen: I agree that they would absolutely need a bigger team, but I'm one who is actually impressed with how much they did manage to pull off given their size (6-8 people? Am I right on that?). When you complete the game, you can see in the credits just how many people were involved in making the original happen.

So if Overhaul did decide to invest in the necessary staff - if the revenue from these games is even enough to do that - then we might be able to adjust our expectations accordingly. I'm looking forward to finding out what they're up to next :)
    @Purudaya
    I agree. Another reason I don't want to see a BG3 from Overhaul. I don't think they can pull it off, yet.
    It's one thing enhancing a game and another to make a new game from scratch.

They just need more money and more manpower to make it happen.
  • chbrookschbrooks Member Posts: 86
    I'd rather Baldur's Gate 3. Icewind Dale is an okay game, but I don't have a desire to play that again unless some major additions are made.

Personally, I'd prefer to see an Infinity-like engine used for a completely different Forgotten Realms campaign. Setting a Baldur's Gate-style game in the city of Waterdeep or in the Dalelands would be much more desirable to me than digging up either of the old franchises.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited February 2014
    I don't mean to seem rude but i''m not sure I would trust these guys with bg3 yet based on the new content they have provided maybe some time a little further down the road. Really there's only maybe 2 devs id trust with bg3 at the moment
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    To be honest, I would like to see Baldur's Gate Next, but there are a few "buts".

First of all, currently the team doesn't have what it takes to make Baldur's Gate Next.
    Second, both BG:EE and BG2:EE needs to be polished first
    Thrid and finally, even thought I'm not really interested in IWD:EE or IWD2:EE, I think that making these would enable Overhaul Games to gather some resources for future BG:Next.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Cant we just establish a premise? I think it goes without saying that Overhaul would have to expand to make a new game. I believe everybody agrees with that, including Overhaul - which is why they would need more funding in one channel or another to take on such a project.