Skip to content

CRASH. ToB leaving Amkethran

RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
edited February 2014 in BGII:EE Mods
I reached Amkethran in ToB without any serious issues thus far, but now when i try to leave amkethran via the world map to go to the Oasis or Abazigal's lair i get an error message and the game crashes and i can't continue my game at all.

attached is the save game closest to the crash and one of the crash dmp files.

your assistance is appreciated. i really want to know what is causing the crash

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    I am moving this to the modding section since there are references to mods within your saved game.

This is another one where "L-AR01.ARE" is being set as a random encounter for Amkethran, the previous person to have this issue was also using mods.

Can you let us know what mods you have installed?
  • RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
    I currently have

Unfinished Business
    Banterpack
    Chosen of Mystra encounters
    NPC flirt
    BG2 Tweaks
    Rupert the dye merchant installed
    edited February 2014
    This is a quote from the other person who also had this issue.
    Childman said:

The mods I'm using are the following:

1) Banter Pack

2) IEP Extended Banters

3) BG2 Tweak Pack

4) Item Randomiser

6) Sarevok Friendship

If it is going to be anything, it is probably going to be either the Banter Pack (unlikely, but cannot rule it out) or the BG2 Tweak Pack. It could be a bad installation order rather than the mod (or mods) itself, though. For now, I'll see what I can do about fixing your saved game. :-)
    thank you
    I uninstalled my BG2 EE and reinstalled it without any mods enabled and i still crash unfortunately. does this mean that the save game in particular is a gone case?

If i go back to a previous save game and continue from there would i still get a crash trying to leave Amkethran?

regards
    @Ryofu, it's your saved game. If it was a mod that caused this, then reverting back to a previous saved game will likely not work as the worldmap is taken from a basic map in-game and then altered and placed into your saved game. Uninstalling any mods that alter the worldmap will likewise only mess up the worldmap in your current game. Did you install and then uninstall any mods prior to those you removed earlier?

Attached is a saved game that should have a fixed version of your worldmap. If course, it also still has multiple references to other mods you had installed at the time when you uploaded it.
  • icehakuicehaku Member Posts: 13
    Hey Troodon, sorry to bother you about this problem again. I thought I had fixed it previously after I posted in the technical problems forum. Turns out that it only fixed it for that one time. I am uploading my .dmp, my weidu log of mods and save file. Is there any way you could look at it?
    @icehaku, the folder where you found the SAV file, it should follow the basic naming schema of 000000000-SaveGame. I need the entire folder zipped/RAR'd and uploaded (it's actually the GAM file I need in this case, and not the SAV file). If you get that uploaded, then I can take a look tomorrow.

:-)
    Done
    @icehaku, fixed. Please find attached. :-)
    Thanks that worked perfectly. Is there any way I can prevent this in future games or is it possible to learn how to fix this issue so I don't have to bother people each time it comes up?
    @icehaku, currently, the only thing that I can guess is that it is mod related since I have never encountered this under normal circumstances. The only people who have encountered and reported this issue have also been using mods.

It requires that you find a standard version of the area AR5500 on the worldmap, not the area file itself, and make the necessary adjustments in either DLTCEP or Near Infinity. The adjustments are to the random encounters, where the area should be set to 'None' and is instead set to 'L-AR01'. The possibility/chance of the encounter occurring is also set to 101, where most should be set to 0 or 5 for that area.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    Judging from the L- prefix I would guess it's one of Almateria's mods (most likely "Almateria's restoration project") that's causing those incompatibilities.
    @argent77, I am not familiar with many of the mods out there, but:
    • A band of noble brigands that will attack you after leaving Amkethran for the first time
    Sounds like it might be the cause.

I don't suppose you can confirm that mod against the list of mods available above? Would another mod borrow portions of it or would it be included in another mod, perhaps the Tweak Pack? I haven't seen that mod mentioned before.

If the mod is removed mid-game (thus not appearing in the logs), then that is most probably the reason behind the crash. If a new game was started while the mod is installed, the world map within the saved game would not be updated upon removal and, with the area file itself non-existent, it would certainly cause problems.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    I can confirm that it's caused by "Almateria's restoration project", more specifically by the component "Restored random encounters". It adds encounter area "L-AR01" and encounter probability 101 to WORLDM25.WMP, and modifies a couple of wilderness area scripts.

No other mods I've tested contained borrowed portions of that mod.
    edited March 2014
    @argent77, I actually downloaded and browsed the TP2 file myself prior to your post and noted where it was, starting on line 1565.

Now we just need some confirmation on this component being installed at some point and then possibly uninstalled. :-)

@icehaku, @Ryofu.

Edit: this is a snippet from @icehaku's WeiDU log in the other topic.

// Recently Uninstalled: ~ARESTORATIONP/SETUP-ARESTORATIONP.TP2~ #1 #0 // Restored locations: v3.3
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~ARESTORATIONP/SETUP-ARESTORATIONP.TP2~ #1 #1 // Restored characters: v3.3
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~ARESTORATIONP/SETUP-ARESTORATIONP.TP2~ #1 #2 // Restored sounds: v3.3
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~ARESTORATIONP/SETUP-ARESTORATIONP.TP2~ #1 #3 // Restored items: v3.3
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~ARESTORATIONP/SETUP-ARESTORATIONP.TP2~ #1 #4 // Restored Wish options: v3.3
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~ARESTORATIONP/SETUP-ARESTORATIONP.TP2~ #1 #5 // Restored XP for minor things: v3.3
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~ARESTORATIONP/SETUP-ARESTORATIONP.TP2~ #1 #6 // Lich Deril: v3.3
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~ARESTORATIONP/SETUP-ARESTORATIONP.TP2~ #1 #7 // Restored random encounters: v3.3
    ~ARESTORATIONP/SETUP-ARESTORATIONP.TP2~ #1 #2 // Restored sounds: v3.3
    ~ARESTORATIONP/SETUP-ARESTORATIONP.TP2~ #1 #3 // Restored items: v3.3
    ~ARESTORATIONP/SETUP-ARESTORATIONP.TP2~ #1 #4 // Restored Wish options: v3.3
    ~ARESTORATIONP/SETUP-ARESTORATIONP.TP2~ #1 #5 // Restored XP for minor things: v3.3
    ~ARESTORATIONP/SETUP-ARESTORATIONP.TP2~ #1 #6 // Lich Deril: v3.3
    Thanks so much! Now that I know the problem, I should be able to fix it for myself. Thanks for teaching me 'how to fish' rather than just giving me the fish.
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    Mail me these insanely important stuff you asses.
    @Almateria, is that really necessary?