Skip to content

OOTS - Latest developments

2»

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Corvino Those are actually from OT God and NT Jesus both. My point being, The Christian God (both father and son) are as equally jerkish as the Gods of other Pantheons.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    While OT God has what I'd consider to be petty, intolerant, jerkish moments he's still an omnipotent inhuman figure while Greek or Norse gods tend to be fallible, contradictory and sometimes downright evil. They're just immortal, powerful humans.

Zeus, despite being god of laws and justice (in addition to thunder) is a murderous rapist in some myths. He's kings of the gods but still insecure and often tricked by other gods.

In Christianity, Judaism and Islam God or his prophets may do things that are extreme (the flood, Job etc) but almost always as part of a pre-planned lesson, or a story as allegory. Greek or Norse gods might have destroyed someone's family and life, like Job, but more likely because they'd been refused sex than to test someone's faith.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    The Greek gods were all pretty screwed up. Zeus chief among them.
    To point this thread back to topic: Does anyone really believe that Belkar has only a year to live? Nowadays he's funny *and* has character development.

The Oracle did say "last breath - ever" so it's possible that he could become undead like Durkon, gets an iridescent Ioun stone (that sustains the wearer without air) or any number of D&D related cheats.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Well to be complete, he said
    "He should savor his next birthday cake."
    "Is not long for this world."
    "Will draw his last breath, ever, before the end of the year."

Of course he didn't specify that he would die, but making *another* party member undead would seem gratuitous.
    I'm guessing, either he dies (nobly sacrificing himself a la Kraagor in Kraagor's gate) or he gets ported to another plane where he doesn't need to breathe and doesn't age. Probably by dying.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Dead Halfling walking, I'm afraid - he's become one of my favorite characters.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I don't want to change subject because I love OOTS, but does anyone know what happened to THunt and Goblins? No update in ages and strange last twitter updates about women...
  • ArizaelArizael Member Posts: 263
    I wouldn't be so worried about Belkar. Rich has proven he can do both excelent and suprising storytelling. If he is gonna die, it will be worth it.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    @Anduin‌
    I checked into that earlier, there's a blog post on his site (from a week ago) saying there'll be an update 'very soon'. The facebook page has the same text from his wife, albeit a bit lengthier;

Hi, particularly to Goblins Readers.
    Sorry for the radio silence lately. I also apologise for the fact that you don't get details yet. The dust is still settling. I thought, though, that due to the nature of some of the increasingly wild theories and plans I heard tossed about, I should soothe some fears. Everybody's alive, and on the planet. (I was really entertained by the one about being abducted by aliens and commandeering their spaceship...)
    I am currently checking email & Twitter, and Tarol isn't. He'll write a blog post soon. Please be patient with us a little longer, and know that we really appreciate the amazing support shown by you, our Goblins Readers.
    You're awesome. Thanks.

So, this tells us exactly nothing.
    While I can understand that, whatever happened, they have a desire for privacy, I am kind of annoyed by the fact that, while there are a horde of people who genuinely *care* about his wellbeing, they can't muster a simple "He had a burnout and will be taking a few months of rest, more details later" or "Turns out we've been accidentally copying the storyline from an obscure japanese manga from the 50's and we might have to shut down the comic, more details later" or whatever.
    But oh well, their right I suppose.
    I think OOTS accidentally copying a storyline is unlikely. If they copied anything there'd be a definite wink, nudge and complaint from most of the characters.

Also, the storyline is pretty unique. It contains a fair few tropes (Empire of Blood coliseum fights, being on trial for a crime you didn't commit, Faustian pacts etc) but they're usually put together in a way that defies expectation. I've never actually seen/read anything that deals with resurrection in the rather pragmatic manner OOTS does, for example.

I worry for Belkar but I'm sure it'll turn out all right, or at least turn out funny. When a character has a trope named after him on tvtropes (the heroic comedic sociopath) you know they'll go on forever.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    There was an announcement on Twitter about Thunt having had some kind of accident. Can't remember exactly what, but I remember some friends talking about it on irc.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Oh man... Do I curse my favorite webcomics?

Get into OOTS and Rich B's hand is attacked by glass.

Then get into goblins and Thunt is abducted by aliens...

Currently reading Yagfc ... awaiting accident to happen to artist...