Skip to content

Melchor Harpell... way to rip me out of my immersion...

2»

Comments

• RewolfRewolf Member Posts: 102
    Kalesra said:

"Rocks fall on you from the ceiling. You die."

They should have done that instead of Melchior! :D this comes much closer to the true PnP D&D games then someone randomly taking your stuff without being able to put up a fight.

• TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 209
    On a grander scale, it might be better for the actions of a player character to have more tangible consequences than the rise or fall of reputation, something in the vein of this Melchior Harpell appearing out of nowhere. I´d like to ask a question - does he appear even if you sell Drizzt´s gear?
  • KalesraKalesra Member Posts: 234
    Tarlugn said:

I´d like to ask a question - does he appear even if you sell Drizzt´s gear?

I don't think so. I tried hiding the gear...and he didn't come after me when I first left the tombs. But when I went and picked it up later, there he was. I think it needs to be on your person (in fact, I believe there's some exploit involving hiding it in Watcher's Keep until ToB).
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I don't know what the heck is going on in my game, but this mage dude isn't coming to take the stuff from me, and if he does he can taste Dragon's Breath... I think that it is because I've sold almost everything... :P
  • dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
    Drizzt's appearances in Baldur's Gate... just ugh. This is the CHARNAME show not the Drizzt show. He's always so arrogant... he just accused me of killing him in the last game, when I did no such thing. He was pickpocketed of both his scimitars by the adorable Alora. Big difference.

It's the same with the Jarlaxe quest in the Underdark. All these Forgotten Realms big-shots seem to enjoy rubbing our noses in how superior they are.
  • VendisVendis Member Posts: 6
    I've liked this because of the epic way to save yourself from the imprison-whole-party spell I came up with and hold on to the loot. Until you enter a new area, which will make him appear again. I wonder if he'd appear in ToB, too, never tested it. The items aren't worth it anyway, though.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited February 2014
    The defender is alright by scimitar standards (just because it hits as though it were a +5 weapon). But the rest is very lackluster (which is one of the reasons the encounter is kind of odd).
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited February 2014
    I just realized from reading this thread that it was Malchor Harpell that came to take back the scimitars. I've always mixed it up and thought that it was Harkle. In my mind I'm like how could that buffoon just come out and take back the scimitars from a party powerful enough to kill Drizzt?
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Korlamaq said:

Um, wait. The OP KILLED a hero of the realm for no other reason than they could and WHO is the jerk?

I AM EVIL INCARNATE! I AM THE SON OF THE GOD OF MURDER SOON TO BE A GOD MYSELF WEARING AN ARMOR CRAFTED FROM HUMAN FLESH AND THE BLOOD OF A NOBLE DRAGON!
    As 'Incarnate of Evil', yer quite whiny about the whole thing. Boo, hoo. You did a bad thing and someone more powerful than you came along and slapped you down. If that is all that it takes to make you cry, you aren't going to make a very impressive God of Murder, now are you?

(posted in the spirit of the original post and not intended to be offensive).
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    elminster said:

The defender is alright by scimitar standards (just because it hits as though it were a +5 weapon). But the rest is very lackluster (which is one of the reasons the encounter is kind of odd).

Yahhhh the Defender is pretty sweet. The -2 AC is pretty beastly.
    Vendis said:

I've liked this because of the epic way to save yourself from the imprison-whole-party spell I came up with and hold on to the loot. Until you enter a new area, which will make him appear again. I wonder if he'd appear in ToB, too, never tested it. The items aren't worth it anyway, though.

Now I can understand the frustration behind this Malchior Harpell´s appearance - can he do that in BG:EE? Haven´t met him yet, but if memory serves, Freedom scrolls are available only in the Underdark... which makes this possibly something I´d rather counter by selling Drizzt´s stuff.

• KorlamaqKorlamaq Member Posts: 216
    edited February 2014

Korlamaq said:

Um, wait. The OP KILLED a hero of the realm for no other reason than they could and WHO is the jerk?

I AM EVIL INCARNATE! I AM THE SON OF THE GOD OF MURDER SOON TO BE A GOD MYSELF WEARING AN ARMOR CRAFTED FROM HUMAN FLESH AND THE BLOOD OF A NOBLE DRAGON!
    As 'Incarnate of Evil', yer quite whiny about the whole thing. Boo, hoo. You did a bad thing and someone more powerful than you came along and slapped you down. If that is all that it takes to make you cry, you aren't going to make a very impressive God of Murder, now are you?

I... YOU... i give up :( being evil is just really hard to play with all those things trying to block you from enjoying it... maybe thats a lesson right there... you aren't supposed to enjoy being an evil bastard
    Korlamaq said:

Korlamaq said:

I... YOU... i give up :( being evil is just really hard to play with all those things trying to block you from enjoying it... maybe thats a lesson right there... you aren't supposed to enjoy being an evil bastard
    LOL. The real joy of being EVIL, isn't having an easy time being a jerk. It's being one despite all of the namby-pamby goodies who try to stop you. To in fact stomp them into dust under your iron heal and laugh while doing it. If it's easy, anyone could do it; even the goodies.

edited February 2014
    I find it rather amusing, now that I have grown accustomed to it, to have a "welcoming" party of Flaming Fist Enforcers to greet me, when I want to do some shopping, resting at the inn, or having some stuff identified by the temple clerk.

Korlamaq said:

Korlamaq said:

LOL. The real joy of being EVIL, isn't having an easy time being a jerk. It's being one despite all of the namby-pamby goodies who try to stop you. To in fact stomp them into dust under your iron heal and laugh while doing it. If it's easy, anyone could do it; even the goodies.

i dont mind the goody two shoes around every corner i can just smack them in the face but when the game actively tries to spoil my fun its starting to piss me off
    @Korlamaq - on a serious note, seriously? And you haven't encountered that as a pervading theme throughout the game(s) thus far? Increasing costs with decreasing reputation? FF 'Greeting parties' at every town? Bounty Hunters showing up increasingly the lower the rep? People refusing outright to talk to you based on your REP?

If we are talking "For real", one of the main things I like about the game is that you can't just go around slaughtering everyone ala "Knights of the Dinner Table" style, with no consequences. This isn't Diablo, nor is it intended to be. Even playing 'Evil', you need to deal and interact with the local environment on a more or less 'Civil' level, otherwise the entire world rises up and does you in. That is Role playing.

I like playing 'Evil' as others here will tell you about me. And the Reputation system is quite deeply flawed (in my opinion). But it does have it's roots in reasoning that I like. If you kill people you aren't supposed too, there are consequences. If you kill Drizzt, you can actually DO that, but..... People will notice. And they will come after you. The Harpells in the books are insanely powerful and 'Should' be able to take the stuff from you as if taking candy from a babe. that's the way they are written by Salvatore (or that's my recollection anyway). And if they weren't, who is to say that they didn't have a little Divine help from someone who wasn't thrilled that you killed a valuable follower of his?

No matter how tough you are, there will always be those who are more powerful than you are, until you ascend the throne. And even once you do, other Gods will oppose you. I like that about the game, that you can't go completely off the rails. But that's merely my point of view. Feel free to differ.
  • VendisVendis Member Posts: 6
    Tarlugn said:

Vendis said:

Now I can understand the frustration behind this Malchior Harpell´s appearance - can he do that in BG:EE? Haven´t met him yet, but if memory serves, Freedom scrolls are available only in the Underdark... which makes this possibly something I´d rather counter by selling Drizzt´s stuff.

My bad. I thought this was about BG2, didn't know this could happen in BG1, too. Forget I said anything.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Harpell doesn't appear in BG1
  • NeeberNeeber Member Posts: 33
    Don't unerstand all the drizzt hate in this thread. Maybe with an evil charname i get it, but how can u be a forgottem realms fan and not appreciate the cameo and then justify killing drizzt, then complain. Even the random Entreri encounter is a cool nugget. Come on guys
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Korlamaq said:

You know, quite a number of players "complain" that even when they try to play evil somehow they still do the good stuff and can't really be evil through and through. Somehow I get the vibe that you're not one of them. :)

Skaffen said:

Korlamaq said:

You know, quite a number of players "complain" that even when they try to play evil somehow they still do the good stuff and can't really be evil through and through. Somehow I get the vibe that you're not one of them. :)

well when i play evil i intend to be EVIL! :) the only thing that made it hard is not being able to take minsc with you :)

@Korlamaq - on a serious note, seriously? And you haven't encountered that as a pervading theme throughout the game(s) thus far? Increasing costs with decreasing reputation? FF 'Greeting parties' at every town? Bounty Hunters showing up increasingly the lower the rep? People refusing outright to talk to you based on your REP?

If we are talking "For real", one of the main things I like about the game is that you can't just go around slaughtering everyone ala "Knights of the Dinner Table" style, with no consequences. This isn't Diablo, nor is it intended to be. Even playing 'Evil', you need to deal and interact with the local environment on a more or less 'Civil' level, otherwise the entire world rises up and does you in. That is Role playing.

I like playing 'Evil' as others here will tell you about me. And the Reputation system is quite deeply flawed (in my opinion). But it does have it's roots in reasoning that I like. If you kill people you aren't supposed too, there are consequences. If you kill Drizzt, you can actually DO that, but..... People will notice. And they will come after you. The Harpells in the books are insanely powerful and 'Should' be able to take the stuff from you as if taking candy from a babe. that's the way they are written by Salvatore (or that's my recollection anyway). And if they weren't, who is to say that they didn't have a little Divine help from someone who wasn't thrilled that you killed a valuable follower of his?

No matter how tough you are, there will always be those who are more powerful than you are, until you ascend the throne. And even once you do, other Gods will oppose you. I like that about the game, that you can't go completely off the rails. But that's merely my point of view. Feel free to differ.

Not trying to be rude but have you read what i said? I know it has a lot of cursewords in it i apologize. There is nothing wrong with people being more powerful than me, but still i would challenge them. All or nothing! But you can't just go past the rules and take things away from me that i fought a pretty tough battle for. Also if melchor is so f*cking powerful why didnt he kill me then?? He would do everyone a favor by ridding the world of me but noo lemme just take those mediocre items! If they didn't want me to kill Drizzt and take his items DON'T PUT HIM IN THE GAME AND GIVE ME THE POSSIBILITY TO DO SO!
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Korlamaq said:

Skaffen said:

Korlamaq said:

well when i play evil i intend to be EVIL! :) the only thing that made it hard is not being able to take minsc with you :)
    You can always murder him in the streets after he attacks you. That's pretty evil.
    jackjack said:

Korlamaq said:

Skaffen said:

Korlamaq said:

You can always murder him in the streets after he attacks you. That's pretty evil.
    I did but it was the hardest decision i've ever made
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    Did an unkillable raging Boo come after Minsc's stuff after a while ?