Skip to content

The new Robocop

SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
Awesomely waesome movie imo. You should watch it if you like awesomely waesome movies. I don't remember very much of the original so I may not be the best judge, but I think this was another successful Marvel reboot.

Comments

• Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I plan to watch it some time, but from the trailers I don't like how he still has one of his hands.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    I just don't think you can top Ronny Cox's performance in the original, especially in that bathroom scene. His delivery was so waesome... er, awesome.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    One thing that really really really irked me throughout the entire movie was that they showed one hand being still intact early on (the left) and for the rest of the movie it was suddenly the right one. GNYAAAH! It's like that sticker on the apple in Lord of the Rings. Maddening.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    That I know for a fact that it is the entirety of someone's job to take care of stuff like that, (apple sticker, hand issue, etc.), makes it all the more maddening.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    There's no way this can compare favorably to the original.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2014

One thing that really really really irked me throughout the entire movie was that they showed one hand being still intact early on (the left) and for the rest of the movie it was suddenly the right one. GNYAAAH! It's like that sticker on the apple in Lord of the Rings. Maddening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qofMAoY0Ts4

I don't see the sticker (the apple scene I'm assuming you were referring to is near the end).

Anyways most of the time I don't let that kind of stuff bother me. The only time I can think of was a show called Warehouse 13. Its filmed in Toronto and in one of the first season episodes the camera pans down a street downtown. Anyways, the street they show has streetcar tracks when this is supposed to be taking place in Chicago. The problem with this is that Chicago has no streetcars (and any streetcar tracks as I understand it would be pretty well removed or filled in). I mean its not like saying its Chicago while the CN Tower in the background but its still pretty bad. Its one of those things though that you would only notice if you were a transit buff like me hehe (and happened to live in one of those cities).

But as for Robocop I haven't seen it and I'm not sure I will. The fact that they went PG13 with the movie gives it a perception (for me anyways) that its pretty tame. Horrible degrees of violence is not what made the original Robocop a great movie but it did help to set an important atmosphere (how bad corporatism had gotten, working conditions for the cops, what the streets had become, etc).

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    edited March 2014
    Not only that, but in the original movies, the bad guys were the corporations and the Bad Guys had already won- The corporations had taken over the Detroit Police, and at the end of the movie, they are still in control. Also, the original Murphy's Partner, Lewis, is a woman done in a non-sexualized way (The actress is beautiful- the character she played is played as a cop, not a sexy woman).

The new movie undercuts tropes from the original. Murphy is controlled by his programming in the original. He doesn't overcome it by strength of will- he barely escapes the first time, and the second, at the board meeting, he's only able to kill the big bad guy because the chairman fires him. Murphy also loses his wife and son in the original- he's cut off from his old life, and the only one who remembers who he is - is Lewis. And it's her trying to get through to him that brings him back to who he was. (and she finds out because, even with his cyborgization- he still does the gun twirl he learned for his son, like a wild west lawman.)

jackjack said:

That I know for a fact that it is the entirety of someone's job to take care of stuff like that, (apple sticker, hand issue, etc.), makes it all the more maddening.

"You had one job!"

• ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    It was so so. Gary Oldman saved it from being terrible.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I've not seen the new film and I'm not sure I will. From what I understand it gets rid of the bitter satire that made the original great in place of fairly standard Blockbuster fare.

People keep remaking Paul Verhoeven films without the sense of humour and satiric edge that made the originals good in the first place. There's a Starship Troopers remake in the works that doesn't poke fun at over-the-top machismo, jingoism and a fascist future state but is more "An Officer and a Gentleman in Power Armor" (their words). *facepalm*
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Ugh remaking Starship Troopers? thats a big no for me. Remake its sequels!
    elminster said:

Ugh remaking Starship Troopers? thats a big no for me. Remake its sequels!

Starship Troopers had no sequels. NO SEQUELS!
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    The amount of people who miss the satire in Paul Verhoeven movies are astounding. I still wanna see this though. I like Joel Kinnaman in The Killing (great acting, meh plot).

It may not be great, but would you buy it for a dollar?
    I'd buy almost anything for a dollar... unless whatever it is is worth less than a dollar...
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    I liked massive-sturdy stainless steel looking robocop.
    Too bad they changed outfit so I lost interest.
    Maybe when there is dvd coming out then I will try it somehow.
    Teflon said:

I liked massive-sturdy stainless steel looking robocop.
    Too bad they changed outfit so I lost interest.
    Maybe when there is dvd coming out then I will try it somehow.

I really like both versions. He has the steel one intially, changes it to the black one and then reverts again at the very end of the movie. I assume he'll be keeping the steel one in the likely sequel.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I actually liked the new movie. The detail that most of the time he has an OCP logo in his chest and in the end, after he kills his boss, his new body has only a police badge in the chest was a nice touch.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I ran across this on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkXwybJxAtA
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    I hate almost every remake hollyweird does. So no i´m not gonna watch that and ruin my old impressions i have with robocop. The old story was cool, Fx were great and gore plenty...

They should call it POPOcop in advance just if it is a flop in the eyes of people of my mindset regarding remakes :D