Skip to content

Mencar Pebblecrusher

bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
Mencar Pebblecrusher and his gang are found on the second floor of of the Den of the Seven Vales in Waukeen's Promenade. You can engage them right after Chateau Irenicus for some decent loots. What are your strategies in dealing with them?

-Do you fight when Mr. Pebble ridicules you (answer option 3 during dialogue)?
-Fight them with the initial party at levels 7-8 right after Chateau Irenicus with or without Aerie?
-Solo them with any class/kit?
-Which target dies first? Who dies last?
-The thief flees at low health. What do you do to ensure your loots?
Post edited by bbear on

Comments

• CLsdlt80CLsdlt80 Member Posts: 82
    For me it depends on each different campaign. This time, I let him talk trash and set about some 3 or 4 traps, came back after a while didn't let him talk trash and threw a horror/glitterdust combo in the room. 'twas enough to take them out with an "almost just out of the first dungeon" party (Invoker, Hexxat, Aerie, Minsc, Jaheira and Yoshimo). I always try to take out the mage first.
  • Stasis_SwordStasis_Sword Member Posts: 91
    I ignore his taunts, especially at low level so I can get the drop on him.

I would probably wait until I had Aerie unless you've recruited other characters.

Soloing them at level 8 would be impressive. Never tried.

Defeat order: Mage, imp, berserker, thief, pebble

For the thief hold person once he's "injured" usually works.

As for strategies it depends what you've got. I've had a thief trap the imp and backstab the Mage to remove 2 enemies immediately. I've had a Mage use web and AOE spells to nuke the room. I had an avenger turn into a spider with strength and draw upon holy might to rip them to shreds.

Your biggest advantage is you can control when the battle starts. You can buff before hand, summon before hand, and position each character before hitting go. That and liberal healing potions should see you through. If not do the slavers quest and try again.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    If you have two mages, their mage and the imp will definitely die once you send two fireballs into the room. After that, not letting the thief escape is your next priority. Entangle might ensure that.

Pebble has a lot of hit points...
  • NeeberNeeber Member Posts: 33
    Soloed them with a lvl 10 blade yesterday. Did a ton of prebuffing, pooky dies first, then i used defensive spin twice as i was surrounded, to kill the mage and beserk guy. Chugged some heal pots, used a magic missle offensive spin combo to kill mencar, then used a couple scrolls i found in chateau irenicus to disable the thief, (i believe it was confusion that ended up working...) but between blur, spamming mirror images. And heal pots, duhm, defensive spin, and my stoneskin, my defenses held up well.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I usually go straight out of Chateau Irenicus, sometimes stopping to pick up Aerie. If you get Jaheira to summon a pair of nymphs it helps quite a lot. They get hold monster and confusion which allows you to lock down Mencar & co. pretty effectively.
  • dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
    When I was a kid I used to lure Mencar all the way to the Amish Legionaries in the Promenade... good times.

Nowadays I tend to pick up Aerie, let them go hostile then run, return to backstab Sorcerous Amon with Yoshimo, then run like hell, picking them off on the bottom floor in ones and twos. RP-wise I think it's ok to assume that such a fractured party would go after us at different "speeds"... Mencar probably thinks he's more than a match for our entire party solo, for example.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I usually pre-charm the berserker and have him fight the dwarf while the party kills the mage and the imp.

Dwarf always dies last simply because for some reason he is the only enemy in the game that seems to have healing potions *and* is capable of actually using them effectively.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    When I have a party with Aerie, I would web and fireball the room and shoot arrows.

When I have a solo Mage, I would use blindness, web and hold person.

When I have a solo druid, I would use charm person/mammal and summon nymph to use mental domination/hold person. I make sure to charm the thief so that he suicides against Mencar. He cant run when he is charmed.

I dont recall playing a solo single class thief before. I suspect I would backstab a bunch and run downstair to hide in shadow. For a solo fighter, just kill the mage and imp first. Drink a bunch of healing potions.
  • vangoatvangoat Member Posts: 212
    I wonder if the reason Patricia (the innkeeper) hates men is because Mencar and co. have been upstairs, drinking and trashing the place for weeks, refusing to leave?
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I'm sure it goes deeper than that, but that certainly doesn't help!
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    emotion works like a charm on these guys
  • CLsdlt80CLsdlt80 Member Posts: 82
    simples said:

Spells such as emotion, glitterdust and horror, better if combined with greater malison before casting any of those, are a difference maker when dealing with those kind of parties... I like to stack horror and glitterdust in a trigger, so someone casts malison, then I cast the trigger, and emotion after that... although in most cases an emotion or horror spell by itself can make your life easier...
    emotion is to soa is what sleep was to early bg
  • PblackPblack Member Posts: 37
    I like bringing only 2 guys to bring them down. Yoshimo and my CHARNAME thief (preferably shadowdancer or assassin)

If I want the thief's loot I backstab him with yoshimo and the mage with CHARNAME. Then go invisible and retreat to the tavern. Back again, set traps with yoshimo and from then on, I prefer the shadowdancer to do all the work with HiPS and backstabs. It does require some save/loading to get all the traps to set right and not waste any of them and to get 1-hit KO's with the initial backstabs.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    simples said:

I see what you did there.
    also, brennan riesling (the thief)'s name sounded very familiar (apart from the fact that riesling is a type of white wine).

turns out the guy you meet in the docks district in BG who starts talking about a "new world" later decides to kill you
  • PUFPAFPUFPAF Member Posts: 18
    Last playthrough I played with a Blackguard and went to fight them right after Irenicus dungeon at insane difficulty. Items to be used from Irenicus dungeon are the 5 arrows of bitting, the 2 haste potions and bow+arrows....and Minsc:)

Use the haste potion and your poison ability, then shoot the mage, the imp and the thief in that order. I used the pause button to make sure each one of them gets at least one arrow of bitting. Mage and imp are helpless and die in 4 rounds. Use the other haste potion on Minsc, zerk him and engage the others. If you have priests stick them on Minsc for healing

This will also work if you are an assassin, or you have Dorn.
  • vangoatvangoat Member Posts: 212
    I can't imagine Minsc beating Mencar and the Bezerker guy, especially on insane. Those guys have great Thac0s for early game and will hit him pretty much every time. I wouldn't have thought he'd last a round on insane
  • PUFPAFPUFPAF Member Posts: 18
    Sorry for the misunderstanding mate. I didn't mean Minsc killed them alone - I poisoned them as well, however with regular arrows. Then I used my drain health and aura of despair and started beating them with my quarterstaff +1.

• luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    edited March 2014
    My solo sorc right out of the chateau took the verbal abuse, turned to leave and then threw out a web over his shoulder before sending in his pet phase spiders...
  • vishvish Member Posts: 49
    I solo them right out of Irenicus' dungeon or kill them with my party. I normally kill Mage>Familar>Thief>Mencar/Cursed Berserking Sword dude if I'm soloing them. Any order if I have a party.

I've soloed them as a Sorcerer, Thief, and various Mage multiclasses.

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    I recommend getting the imp out of there as quickly as possible. Once he gets his shield up and casts confusion or horror, it's basically over for you.
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    Over the years, taking out Mencar & co. right after Irenicus's dungeon has become a sort of a rite of passage for all my playthroughs. In vanilla SoA, I used to roll different classes and kits and judge their effectiveness based on how well they would fare against the Pebblecrusher band. If a particular charname had too much difficulty dealing with them, I would consider him a failure and go back to the drawing board.

Nowadays, I'm not so harsh on my characters. Especially after installing SCS, I find Mencar's troupe a little bit too difficult to handle right out of the box. In my current playthrough, I decided to leave them alone for the time being, set out for Watcher's Keep to clean out the first two floors and finally took out my belated wrath on the Hatchetman party in the sewers. Despite being a stronger band, I found them more susceptible to crowd control and AoE spells.
  • deathsfeetdeathsfeet Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2014
    Took them down right out of dungeon with just party of 4 including my Avenger. First shot I didn't know what was coming and got pummeled though, been a very long time since I played this game, can't remember most of it. Second run in I summoned two panthers, two polar bears, and a nymph. Then buffed everything before charging in. Thought I should check around to see if I should've left them alive lol. Decimate first, ask questions later :)
  • NokkenbuerNokkenbuer Member Posts: 146
    bbear said:

Mencar Pebblecrusher and his gang are found on the second floor of of the Den of the Seven Vales in Waukeen's Promenade. You can engage them right after Chateau Irenicus for some decent loots. What are your strategies in dealing with them?

-Do you fight when Mr. Pebble ridicules you (answer option 3 during dialogue)?
    -Fight them with the initial party at levels 7-8 right after Chateau Irenicus with or without Aerie?
    -Solo them with any class/kit?
    -Which target dies first? Who dies last?
    -The thief flees at low health. What do you do to ensure your loots?

I usually leave initially, secretly vowing revenge. I would then quest and level up, and gather a suitable party, before attempting to exact my revenge. I would then return and speak to him again, initiating a fight. I justify this, as a Neutral Good character, because he insulted my party and revealing his alignment shows that he is evil, so it's probably good to put him down. I'd target the spellcasters first, killing them and the barbarian second, dealing with the archers and Mencar last. I felt somewhat guilty, seeing how only some of his party was evil and rude, but from how I see it, they decided to follow this contemptuous dwarf and if they wished, they could have come to their senses and back down from the challenge. But they didn't, and instead attacked me alongside their other party members, so I fought them without having much of a choice.

Usually, the thief is killed during the fight without my conscious knowing, so that is not much of a problem for me. I was quite disappointed in the rather low-quality loot they dropped, though.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    First I sell that wand of fireballs to the chap who sells scrolls then I steal it back. Note 50 charges now!

Then I basically spam 50 fireballs into the room...
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited August 2014
    Just did this fight today, always a fun challenge right out of the gate. If you REALLY want a challenge use the dialog option that antagonizes them, but I wouldn't recommend it. If not, send Yoshimo in and lay as many traps as you can (I got off three, one by Orcslicer, Pebblecrusher, and the familiar). Send Yoshimo and Jaheira by the steps with ranged weapons awaiting my command. But this fight is all about Aeire. Web the room, put on silence on the mage, then I ordered Yoshimo and Jaheira to open fire on Orcslicer from their vantage point. Everyone in the room takes damage (but not fatal) from the traps. Orcslicer goes down quick, once Pebblecrusher comes out I had Aerie Hold Person and focused fire since the mage was coming in with nothing. One guy leaves when Pebblecrusher is near death. Sent everything at him I could (in this case Doom, Magic Missile, Acid Arrow) and he went down. After that it was boring and tedious mop up of the familiar who was annoying but harmless.

I wouldn't dream of trying this fight without Aeire, she is key and does practically everything. I could have made this much easier in many ways (use the wands from Irenicus' dungeon, summon woodland creatures, the fireball trick mentioned above etc) but once I set up a battle plan I was determined to execute it this way this particular time. It's a great tactical challenge right out of the gate, and I don't even know how you'd approach it on insane or solo (I play core most always).

This fight is a great example of how many different way you can manage encounters in the game. The next time through I'll likely do something completely different, and as always, the dice rolls can play a huge part in your success.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    On principle, I usually call them for being big doodoo heads, usually after completing the Tent and I have upgraded my gear with the proceeds. They are tough at low levels...

For tactics, I kill the Imp ASAP, then the mage, then the Thief. Mages/archers kill those, while meleers and sometimes skeletons occupy Mencar and Tweedledum. The berserker usually dies easily, but Mencar tends to last long after his friends have been dropped. His armour though is often needed ASAP for someone, so I rarely let them wait any later than post-tent.

Satisfying fight overall, skeletons + AoE spells can cheese them hard though.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    It's the kind of fight that can be challenging at the begining (right out of chateau Irenicus, what I usually do) , but too easy at later levels.

I usually try disabling the fighters with hold person/charm/domination first and kill the others (or turn the charmed fighters against them) .

The thief is my biggest concern, since he flees combat if you don't kill him quick.