Skip to content

A curiously satisfying moment (Spoilers)

Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
Last night my paladin and her party undertook the d'Arnise quest to save Nalia's family home. But when we had smited all the evil there was to smite we discovered that it had all been for nothing. Nalia's father was dead, the Roenals had got the keys to the keep and the poor girl was being thrown out on the street. And there was Quint Roenal standing there telling us that riff-raff like us weren't welcome in his castle.

This left my paladin with no choice, she put down her sword and she punched him unconscious. It was curiously satisfying leaving him in a heap and walking away.

Possibly I should have allowed Nalia to beat up on the guy but from the looks of her I suspect she punches like a girl; my paladin has got STR 19 and she punches like a hill giant.

Comments

• BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    okay, time to show what an idiot i am as i don't think i've ever fought unarmed, but if you're barefisted, do you not kill the person?

Awesome btw. When i played a paladin, detect evil was my best friend. If i saw something close to a crime, detect evil. If the person is evil, i kill him on the spot for his transaction. If he is not evil, i watch, and wait. If no expliation comes forth and no further transaction, i would always go off to other duties but keep it in my mind on how to later atone.

I do wish you could reverse pick pocket in this game. Or can you? Anyways, sneaking a valuable item onto someone who won't accept further help with my thief party member is a choice i would love to have.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited August 2012
    Bjjorick said:

okay, time to show what an idiot i am as i don't think i've ever fought unarmed, but if you're barefisted, do you not kill the person?

When you fight unarmed you can only knock the person unconscious (I think by reducing them to 1HP?). I only discovered it when my sword broke from Nashkel mine metal fatigue and Minsc was beating up on someone but couldn't kill him.

I now use it as a tactic against the Flaming Fist when they start chasing you through Baldur's Gate. I used to run away. Now I just drop my weapons and beat the crap out of them. I hate those Flaming Fist guys ...

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Bjjorick I think barefisted damage does 75% subdual damage- it may knock your target unconscious when he reaches 1 HP, but he passes out rather than dying. That 75% is temporary damage that goes away over a few hours.
    edited August 2012
    @Permidion_Stark Wow, i smited much evil that could have just received a serious butt whooping? Boo must be so ashamed of me. Boo is so smart, aren't you boo?

But lol, i have to figure out what unarmed is based off of for non monks. I then think i need to go and port my trusty old pally back in. Use the sword on evil, and just merely punish the good.

Hmmm, and i guess if they pass out at 1 hp, you wouldn't get xp for the kill, wouldn't be able to loot them? Please tell me if that's the case, because then it would finally make playing a good char much much more difficult.
    Post edited by Bjjorick on
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Bjjorick Monks are different. Their open-hand attacks do straight blunt damage. Because they use martial arts. Slap across the cheek vs cupped hand slap across the ear.
    Bjjorick said:

Hmmm, and i guess if they pass out at 1 xp, you wouldn't get xp for the kill, wouldn't be able to loot them? Please tell me if that's the case, because then it would finally make playing a good char much much more difficult.

Sadly you don't get any xp and you can't loot them. You just get the satisfaction of a job well done.

You can't pickpocket them either because they remain hostile when unconscious (which could be considered a bug?). You might be able to charm the unconscious person and then pick pocket them but I have never tried it. And how on earth would you charm someone who is out for the count?

@ladyrhian sweet, low damage fits in with what i have in mind even better.

@permidion_stark being a pally, pushing the good who stray would be a better reward then killing them. I know it won't make a difference story wise, but it's rp, it's always making things up in your mind as you go and believing it to be true. Kinda like insantiy, only for groups.

On your charm person comment, i would assume it's like dating. Much easier when at least one of the people is unconscious. (Good Lord, i've become a troll).
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77

Bjjorick said:

When you fight unarmed you can only knock the person unconscious (I think by reducing them to 1HP?). I only discovered it when my sword broke from Nashkel mine metal fatigue and Minsc was beating up on someone but couldn't kill him.

I now use it as a tactic against the Flaming Fist when they start chasing you through Baldur's Gate. I used to run away. Now I just drop my weapons and beat the crap out of them. I hate those Flaming Fist guys ...

I luvz me a good brawl. :p

• odeeodee Member Posts: 87
    @Bjjorick
    Self confessed troll alert ...
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    I remember looting every house in Beregost in BG1, right in chapter 2. I would knock unconscious the commoners to prevent them from summoning the guard when a chest is opened, and leave the house before they wake up. When I came back later - chapter 4 or 5 - the commoners were back to blue. But suprise! they would summon the guard as soon as I talked to them, with their dialogue changed to: "Hey I recognize you! GUARDS!!!"
    Cloutier said:

I remember looting every house in Beregost in BG1, right in chapter 2. I would knock unconscious the commoners to prevent them from summoning the guard when a chest is opened, and leave the house before they wake up. When I came back later - chapter 4 or 5 - the commoners were back to blue. But suprise! they would summon the guard as soon as I talked to them, with their dialogue changed to: "Hey I recognize you! GUARDS!!!"

I never knew that happened. That's what I love about this game: it doesn't matter how many times you play it there is always something new.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Doesn't sound very lawful good to me.
    Awong124 said:

Doesn't sound very lawful good to me.

Maybe not strictly lawful but it felt pretty good.