Skip to content

Jason Manley to Work on "A Big Batch" of New Portraits for BG:EE

g314g314 Member Posts: 201
It's unclear if he'll be contributing to Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition as well, but it's definitely worth noting an update to Jason Manley's Facebook page that brings the good news that the former Black Isle Studios portrait artist (and former Massive Black CEO) has been recruited by Overhaul Games to work on "a big batch" of new portraits for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Hearing him reminisce about the good times at BIS makes me even more excited that so many of the original members are involved in this latest endeavor:
On break from painting up a big batch of portraits for Baldurs Gate. Nostalgic memory floods from my early days at Black Isle. Feargus Urquhart giving me open proxy access to get onto playboy's website for reference hunting (and the confused looks of other co-workers as I searched away), Joshua Eric Sawyer writing descriptions for me when he was the BIS super webmaster, Stephen Bokkes brainstorming levels with me, Pete Meihuizen's drum and bass and lunch at the gyspy den, Justin Sweet's invaluable lessons for puddnhead and I, Darren Monahan and that plastic bat ritualistically carried during the collection of morning updates, Malavon lunchbreaks and QUAKE 3, Puddnhead hanging a massive nude oil painting (with bush) in his office regardless of what corporate thought, Andrew Jones turning down ILM to join us in the pursuit of art, Chris Parker moving me out of painting dirt and into concept art, Vance Kovacs talks about color theory and teaching me to texture 3D dirt in lightwave, and tons of other thoughts about the Black Isle gurus who have kicked so much ass in the industry since my career began. I am officially in the time warp of nerdy delicious awesome :) ...and it has me painting again. Thanks to Andrew and Puddnhead for encouraging me to do this. It is nice to see that I can, in fact, still paint a head....though I am breaking my promise to never paint elves or dwarves again. I forgot how fun this was. Forever a games geek at heart...and full of fond memories from the past. Thanks to Trent Oster for the opportunity to relive some of the old days.
Source: http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/109113-jason-manley-is-creating-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-portraits-while-reminiscing-about-it.html

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    Interesting. This was never mentioned on Twitter. Gotta correct my list of things that have been announced.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    This is some interesting news.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    That is great news. I love his work.
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    Neeto!
  • GrifGrif Member Posts: 48
    rock on Mr. Manley, love, love, loved! your IWD work.
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    Awesome. You can never have enough portraits.
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    Don't make my blue edwin redundant and we'll be just fine :3
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Nice
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    I think I have several megabyte of portraits from back in the day....got to go digging through the old saved files
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    Ooh he did the original portraits? What is the speculative possibility that he could be re-doing the lost portraits for high-def versions?
    Ooh he did the original portraits? What is the speculative possibility that he could be re-doing the lost portraits for high-def versions?
    Much as Id like that Im betting its Zero...release is less than 30 days out now I think...had to think it could be retooled in time.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615

Much as Id like that Im betting its Zero...release is less than 30 days out now I think...had to think it could be retooled in time.

Your right...I guess that was shamefully just wishful thinking on my part without thinking it through logically first. -_-;
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    @immagikman can still be post shipped... :)
    Oh yeah and they could just delay the release but I think that would cause a near riot :) though....for my part...I wouldnt mind waiting....I game on a 30" monitor so High Def would be just wonderful :D
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    yes, yes... matron mothers approve of this...
    Actually, the original BG and BG2 portraits were drawn by Mike Sass (who may as well still own the source files, since they're part of his portfolio). Jason Manley did the IWD portraits.
    Asit is I don't *think* it was portraits that were the problem preventing HD, it was the artwork for the sprites etc on screen, all the animations etc etc.
  • cloakanddaggercloakanddagger Member Posts: 111
    Honestly, even better. I loved some of the IWD portraits.
  • WoldanWoldan Member Posts: 41
    Oh my, thats great news, I absolutely LOVE the IWD portraits.
    However, I do hope the new portraits won't be glaringly different in style from the originals. Apart from the fact that I love the portraits in BG1, I love consistency above all.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    wasn't someone else who did portraits for bg2? i know jason worked on some art in bg2 soa and tob... hm, maybe i'm wrong. still, i agree consistency is important and i think developers are aware of that.

However, I do hope the new portraits won't be glaringly different in style from the originals. Apart from the fact that I love the portraits in BG1, I love consistency above all.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" ~ Ralph Waldo Emmerson ;)

I would not mind improved portraits to the IWD level of work would be great, there were MILLIONS of user created Portraits for BG2 and IWD, so it will be nice to see some better works included.

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    The IWD portraits were glorious, and much of the time were more than sufficient to build my six-character party. I'm excited to see Manley's efforts and whether or not any of them will suit my Blackguard.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    I like this. Jason Manley is a great artist and we need more portrait options. Hope they make some good soundsets as well (I seem to remember reading that they will make more).