Skip to content

How do you guys pronounce certain names in BG

2»

Comments

• FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Gyess (hard G)
    Geez (hard G)
    Gee-awss (soft G and hard G)

I've heard it pronounced several different ways across several DnD games.
  • LoubLoub Member Posts: 471
    edited March 2014
    Here's the wikipedia article on geas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geis
    Wikipedia said:

In Irish mythology and folklore, a geis (/ˈɡɛʃ/; [ˈɟɛʃ]; plural geasa) is an idiosyncratic taboo, whether of obligation or prohibition, similar to being under a vow or spell. The Scottish Gaelic spelling "geas" is also common

So "Gueiss" - rhyming with "Kiss".

"A kiss to break her geas", for instance, is a versic oration showcasing these two words.
  • BlucherBlucher Member Posts: 110
    Geas = GEE + ASS
    Lich = rhymes with which
    Drow = rhymes with cow
    Melee = Me (as in me, myself, and I) + Lee (as in Bruce Lee)*
    THAC0 = rhymes with whacko (as in whacko jacko)
    Otyugh = OTT + EE + UGH (as in OTTer, thEE, and UGly)
    Treant = TREE + ANT
    Sahuagin = SA + WHO + UH + GHIN
    Ankheg = rhymes with gank beg

* I know this is probably wrong but I ain't changin' now.
    edited March 2014
    Blucher said:

Geas = GEE + ASS
    Lich = rhymes with which
    Drow = rhymes with cow
    Melee = Me (as in me, myself, and I) + Lee (as in Bruce Lee)*
    THAC0 = rhymes with whacko (as in whacko jacko)
    Otyugh = OTT + EE + UGH (as in OTTer, thEE, and UGly)
    Treant = TREE + ANT
    Sahuagin = SA + WHO + UH + GHIN
    Ankheg = rhymes with gank beg

* I know this is probably wrong but I ain't changin' now.

"Melee" isn't even a valid word according to Oxford's dictionary for academics (aka. "Bibles"), but rather a corruption/"variation" of the french "Mêlée", which was imported into english and kept its accents (much like naïve) - they are important to indicate the correct pronunciation of the word, which is actually mɛˈle: meh-lee - as in "Melissa".

And THAC0 isn't even supposed to have such a pronunciation since it is an acronym for "To Hit Armor Class 0" - the correct pronunciation following acronymal patterns would be "tiː eɪtʃ eɪ siː zɪərəʊ" or "Tee aitch ay cee zye-row".

And the correct pronunciation of "Drow" following its scottish roots is "drou" - rhyming with "Throw".

Now when it gets to planetouched races things get rather tricky, since their writing is extremely ambiguous and inconsistent in the CRPGS - I've seen Aasimar being pronounced "ay-SEE-mar", "AH-see-mar" and "EH-see-mar", though I believe the first is the most widely accepted - Tieflings as "TEEF-lings" and "TAIF-lings", again leaning towards the former - Genasi as "GEN-ah-sai" (As in "genocide") "gen-AH-zee (as in "nazi") and "gen-AY-see" (as in "basics"), this time with no leaning towards any of them. Feytouched (Quarter-fey) and Shadowswyft (humans from the shadow plane, better represented in PF's Golarion, there known as "Fetchlings") are pretty obvious though. Zenythri (descended from Mercanes) are, while graphically odd, very unambiguous as well (as in zenith).
    Post edited by Loub on
  • BlucherBlucher Member Posts: 110
    Loub said:

stuff

There are regional differences as well. Here in the midwest USA, all of your "planetouched races" examples where you cite one over the other are the completely opposite -- in my experience: AH-see-mar, TIEF-ling, jen-AH-see.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Melee-may•lay
    Drow- I Used to say this with a "oh" sound, like drove, but all the voice acting says drow with an "ow" sound
    Viconia-Vicky
    Khalid -ka•leed
    Jahiera- Ja•hear•uh
    Ankehg- an•keg
    Geas-geese

And I agree that the voice acting is correct, unless there is an accent to add flavor to the character. And Khalid and jahiera pronounce each others names correctly.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Viconia I always pronounced Vice-onia before I heard it.
    She always seemed like the chick to have your vitals in a vice anyway.
  • dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
    Several incorrect pronunciations from my childhood have stayed with me to this day:

"Brawn-when"
    "Kay-gain"

(both from misreading their names)

"Ex-(z)arr" (and "Ex-vart" for the little blue guys, I still think these sound cool)
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,194
    This reminded me, that according to The Forgotten Realms Wiki, "Bhaal" is pronounced "Beh-HAHL": http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Bhaal
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Thaxll'ssillyia - thaksl-SIL-lia or thak-sel-SIL-lia with stress on the SIL part (ˌʧəks(e)l-ˈsɪl-lɪæ)
    Nizidramanii'yt - ni-si-dra-MA-ni-yt, stress on the fourth syllable (nɪ-sɪ-drə-ˈmæ-nɪ-ɪt) - or "nisi" for short! :-)

Disclaimer: None of these are canon! :-)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Blucher said:

Loub said:

stuff

There are regional differences as well. Here in the midwest USA, all of your "planetouched races" examples where you cite one over the other are the completely opposite -- in my experience: AH-see-mar, TIEF-ling, jen-AH-see.
    I find it very strange that such things happen there. Doubly so considering my own german-brazilian accent is oddly nearly identical to a subdued Texan, even though my own upgringing was Commonwealth.
    And Tiefling is indeed TEEF-ling judging by WoTC's own podcast and promotional material;
    For example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UqFPujRZWo
    Which is unsurprising considering it is derived from German's tief (teef) meaning "deep".
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    I always pronounced Kivan as "Ki-Vann." However, when Kivan dies, Viconia will say, "Ki-VONN and I never understood each other."

Likewise, I had always pronounced Viconia as "VICK-oh-nia," but when Viconia dies, Kivan says, "May VY-cone-ia's soul rot in hell."

IIRC, the game manual says Nalia's name is pronounced "Nah-LEE-ah," but in the game, Aerie pronounces it as "Nal-ya," which is how I generally pronounce it.

The manual also says Haer'Dalis is pronounced "Hair-DUH-lees," but I have a bad habit of pronouncing it as "Hair-Dallas."
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

Thaxll'ssillyia - thaksl-SIL-lia or thak-sel-SIL-lia with stress on the SIL part (ˌʧəks(e)l-ˈsɪl-lɪæ)

Thaxll'ssillyia: thbthbthbthbthbth
    This is official canon
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027

Nizidramanii'yt - ni-si-dra-MA-ni-yt, stress on the fourth syllable (nɪ-sɪ-drə-ˈmæ-nɪ-ɪt) - or "nisi" for short! :-)
    Disclaimer: None of these are canon! :-)

Too convoluted...
    Thaxll'ssillyia = Darkie
    Nizidramanii'yt = Blackie
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,194
    For me it has always been Taxalajaja and Nizidynamit.