Skip to content

I am a indecisive buttface. Wich thief kit should my fighter/thief use?

NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
An earlier post said I was going to be an evil fighter/thief half-orc using EEKEEPER to get myself a kit because why not. However I find myself horribly indecisive as to what I want to play. Assassin seems fun and honestly I've never played a stealthy character before. It'd be nice to try something new but its likely I'd just fall back into old hack and slash habits, in wich case swashbuckler would be awesome to try and net me more thief points. Still, perhaps theres something shadowdancer offers that I'm not aware of. Note that I do not want to be a bounty hunter. I know they're powerful and probably alot of fun but I don't want to resort to trap cheese just yet.

Also, if anyone knows, does changing kits with EEKEEPER work flawlessly or do I need to add abilities I didn't get from my first level? Like, say, if I change from ranger to archer, do I gain all the called shots I am do or do I need to level first or add them manually in EEkeeper?

Please help this indecisive twit be the best half-orc he can be.
  1. I am a indecisive buttface. Wich thief kit should my fighter/thief use?34 votes
    1. Assassin! You and Dorn will poison the everything! Also stabbity fun!
      41.18%
    2. Swashbuckler! You plan to duel wield anyways, right? Two dagger style time!
      14.71%
    3. Shadowdancer! Dance among the shadows like the truely agile half-orc you are!
      23.53%
    4. I dunno! Just show me results because I'm curious what people voted for too!
      20.59%

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Necomancer, when do you plan on creating this character?

EE Keeper does not currently work flawlessly when adding kit abilities, but should work considerably better with the next update as mentioned here. My plan was to release that update some time this week, but it is more likely to be next week.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    The Fighter/Swashy seems more hack-n-slashy to me than the Fighter/Assassin, who requires more micromanagement/strategy to be effective (hiding, deciding when to poison your weapon, ranged poisoned attacks or backstabs).
    I love Swashies, don't get me wrong. (Roleplay-wise my fave kit. My next playthrough is likely to be with an Elven Swashmage.) And the Fighter/Swashbuckler will be a fantastic fighter, one of the best I can imagine. But you'll have more diversity with the Fighter/Assassin.

I'm a bit unsure as to what to think of the Shadowdancer. You get all these amazing HiS perks, but you can't fully take advantage of them with your slow backstab multiplier increase. The Shadowdancer abilities seem to work best for defensive purposes.

• NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    @Troodon80 Considering I planned this bard play through about three months back and even asked for advice back then? Yeah, it'll be awhile. I tend to put far too much planning into play throughs I don't mean to do for quite some time. Still, I remember advice given and like to get an idea of what I should do.

Also glad to hear you're still working on it! Its a wonderful little tool.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Fighter/assassin would definitely be a very powerful combo. Mostly I just voted because the title drew in.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Obviously you need to decide how you want your evil half orc to be. Then you'll know what kit fits him best.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Fighter/Swashbuckler is useless, you don't get *any* of the bonuses from the Swashbuckler kit, since a F/T can put 2 Prof points in everything and 3 in TWS, you'll loose Backstab *but* you'll get a +1 damage and AC every five levels, which is not really worth it from my point of view, plus you'll have WWA two times to pick.

Fighter/Assassin would need another Thief in BG1, but he can handle BG2 pretty much, in late BG2, you'll get very overpowered, x7 Backstab, Poison Weapon, Fighter & Thief HLAs and if you use Crossbows, you'll be gamebreakingly overpowered.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited March 2014
    Don't go for the fighter/Swashbuckler. It will seriously break your game and you'll be so powerful it isn't even funny. The one thing that brings the swashbuckler down to a normal level is the lack of APR. A fighters APR with the swashbucklers + Thac0/Damage not to mention the AC is just disgusting.

At level 20 you'll have :

+5 AC
    +4 Thac0
    +4 Damage

So you're already beyond the grandmaster bonus of a fighter, not to mention you got +5 AC. Imagine a fighter using a full plate mail and then throw another 5 AC onto that.

A pure class fighter with 5* will have +2 Thac0 and +3 damage and ½ APR over a multi class one. Let's take a look what your swashbuckler part will do.

Grandmaster Fighter : +3 Thac0 +5 Damage, +1 APR
    Multi class fighter : +1 Thac0 +2 Damage, +½ APR

Multi F/swash level 5 : +2 Thac0 +3 Damage, +½ APR, +2 AC.
    Multi F/swash level 10 : +3 Thac0 +4 Damage, +½ APR, +3 AC.
    Multi F/swash level 15 : +4 Thac0 +5 Damage, ½ APR, +4 AC. <- Surpasses the Grandmaster.
    Multi F/swash level 30 : +7 Thac0 +8 Damage, ½ APR, +7 AC.
    Multi F/swash level 40 : +9 Thac0, +10 Damage, ½ APR, +9 AC.

The bounty hunter will only add more flavor, so the question is if you want 7x backstab or a massive boost to your damage, Thac0 and AC.

Post edited by SionIV on
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I'd go for assassin. Backstabbing is the best part of being a Thief for me.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Why not a fighter kit? With EE keeper you can be a barbarian/thief. Kensai is stupidly OP.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Fardragon said:

Why not a fighter kit? With EE keeper you can be a barbarian/thief. Kensai is stupidly OP.

Because it's already possible to do this, and you'll want to dual class instead of multi class.

Kensai13/Thiefxx
    Berserker13/Thiefxx

With BG2 tweaks you'll also be able to dual class from barbarian.

Barbarian13/Thiefxx
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Shadowdancer on a multi class character (F/T, M/T or F/M/T) is by very far the cheesiest thing i have ever played.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    It's not possible to do if you are a half Orc. I assume the OP wants a To RP, not powergame.