Skip to content

The Hitchhiker's Guide to Installing Mods on OSX

Comments

• squarehead0squarehead0 Member Posts: 6
    @AstroBryGuy‌ The Result is '-rwxr-xrwx@ 1 root wheel 6257968 3 Dec 2013 weidu'
    Thanks for your help!
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @squarehead0‌ - It appears that setup-bg1npc is not linked to weidu (it would have appear as well).

If there is a file called setup-bg1npc in the Resources folder, delete it (drag it to the Trash).

Then type the following commands in the Terminal (from within the Resources folder):
    ln -s weidu setup-bg1npc
    ./setup-bg1npc
  • squarehead0squarehead0 Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2014
    @AstroBryGuy‌ Thank you so much, i think it has worked!
    AstroBryGuy
  • JairyannaJairyanna Member Posts: 209
    Quick question: I'm trying to install SCS (using the Mac Installer App) and 'permission denied' appears in the terminal window BUT I bought direct from BeamDog. The Resources folder is set to 'Read & Write' so I don't know why it won't install. Anyone know what to do with that? :/ Literally all I want that mod for is easier-to-get-to starting locations for NPCs.
    The WeiDU binary that comes with SCS does not have it's "executable" bit set. So, OSX won't run it. You can change the executable bit at the Terminal with the following command:
    chmod u+x setup-stratagems
    A couple notes:

The Mac Mod Installer tool makes some unnecessary links because it was written for an older version of weidu (before WeiDU was updated to know where to find the dialog.tlk file).

Also, the version of WeiDU that comes with SCS is for Mavericks. If you have a previous version of OSX installed (i.e., Mountain Lion, Lion, Snow Leopard), you need to replace "setup-stratagems" with the version of weidu for older versions of OSX. See the instructions on the first page of this thread.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    CrevsDaakAstroBryGuy
  • genogeno Member Posts: 3
    Hey, hopefully you can help me out with mine too, hahaha. I've looked back and tried what you've told other people, but it's still not working for me. Maybe I'm just missing something. I'm on mavericks and have the app version of the game.

I can run through the installs and stuff fine, get into the Resources folder through terminal, locate the folder the mod is in, but then I get the message:

Usage: ./setup-bg2_tweaks name-of-tp2 otheroptions

Any ideas?
    geno said:

Hey, hopefully you can help me out with mine too, hahaha. I've looked back and tried what you've told other people, but it's still not working for me. Maybe I'm just missing something. I'm on mavericks and have the app version of the game.

I can run through the installs and stuff fine, get into the Resources folder through terminal, locate the folder the mod is in, but then I get the message:

Usage: ./setup-bg2_tweaks name-of-tp2 otheroptions

Any ideas?

Yep. I think you copied the file "weinstall+mavericks" from the WeiDU package and named it "weidu". You actually need to copy the program "weidu+mavericks" to your Resources folder and rename it weidu.
  • genogeno Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2014
    Thanks! That was definitely part of my problem. But now I'm getting a:

Please run this program in your Infinity Engine game directory.
    FATAL ERROR: Failure("Not a game directory")

EDIT: Fixed. I guess since I'm running the app through wineskin, the folder that I had to extract the files to was different. I ended up moving them to: Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition. Whereas I was just putting them in the resources folder before which was leading to the error.

Thanks again!
    Post edited by geno on
    Sounds like you're working in the wrong folder.

Right click on the BGEE/BG2EE app, "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" or "BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition", and select "Show Package Contents". Go to "Contents/Resources". There will be a file called CHITIN.KEY in this folder. The weidu program file should be placed directly into this folder (not in a subfolder of this folder).

Since you bought the game from the App Store, don't forget to change the permissions on the Resources folder before doing anything else to give yourself write access to the folder.

Select the Resources folder and then choose File > Get Info.
    Under the Sharing & Permissions pane, click the lock icon and enter an administrator’s name and password.
    Change the privilege for "Everyone" to "Read & Write".
    Then, choose "Apply to enclosed items" from the Action pop-up menu (looks like a gear).

Hope this helps!
    edited August 2014
    AstroBryGuyCrevsDaak
  • JairyannaJairyanna Member Posts: 209
    Thanks, @AstroBryGuy‌ I only just saw your reply :)
    AstroBryGuyCrevsDaak
  • alastair93alastair93 Member Posts: 117
    Hi there,

I'm trying to install IWDification. I've managed to get everything into the Resources folder, but when I try to run it, I get the message:

Last login: Mon Sep 1 08:41:32 on ttys000
    alastairs-air:~ Alastair$ cd /Applications/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ -\ Enhanced\ Edition/Game\ Data/00777/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ -\ Enhanced\ Edition.app.dSYM/Contents/Resources
    alastairs-air:Resources Alastair$ ln -s weidu setup-osx-iwdification-Beta3
    ln: setup-osx-iwdification-Beta3: File exists
    alastairs-air:Resources Alastair$ ./setup-osx-iwdification-Beta3
    [./setup-osx-iwdification-Beta3] WeiDU version 23600

Please run this program in your Infinity Engine game directory.

FATAL ERROR: Failure("Not a game directory")

Press ENTER to exit.

Any ideas???
    @alastair93‌ - You're installing in the wrong folder.

It's not the folder "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app.DSYM". You need to go inside the "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" app in the "Game Data/00777" folder.

Right-click on the "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" app and select "Show Package Contents". Then, go to "Contents/Resources". This is your Resources folder.
    CrevsDaak
  • alastair93alastair93 Member Posts: 117

It's not the folder "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app.DSYM". You need to go inside the "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" app in the "Game Data/00777" folder.

Right-click on the "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" app and select "Show Package Contents". Then, go to "Contents/Resources". This is your Resources folder.

Ah I see. I've moved to the correct folder now, but getting a different error. It now says "-bash: ./setup-iwdification: Bad CPU type in executable"

Ah I see. I've moved to the correct folder now, but getting a different error. It now says "-bash: ./setup-iwdification: Bad CPU type in executable"

The version of WeiDU bundled with the mod is not compatibile with your version of OSX. Delete the file setup-iwdification and get a copy of Mac WeiDU here: http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/.

Unzip the archive and go into the "WeiDU-Mac/bin/x86-64" folder to get the WeiDU program. If you have OSX 10.9 (Mavericks), use the "weidu+mavericks" file, if you have OSX 10.6-10.8 (Snow Leopard, Lion, or Mountain Lion), use the "weidu+snowleopard" file. Copy the program file to the Resources folder, and rename it "weidu".

Next, enter the following command:

ln -s weidu setup-iwdification
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

I figured it out - the "ln -s" command failed because G3 packages the "Mac compatible" version of their mods with an outdated version of WeiDU that's already called "setup-iwdification". Alastair93 needs to delete that file and all will be fine.

I HATE that G3 packages their stuff that way. There's no need to have different versions of a mod for each platform; the ONLY platform-specific part of any mod is WeiDU itself.

Unless it has sound files. Then you need oggdec (for Windows) or sox (for OSX/Linux). Many OSX versions of mods still bundle a PPC sox binary.
    CrevsDaak
    edited September 2014
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I figured it out - the "ln -s" command failed because G3 packages the "Mac compatible" version of their mods with an outdated version of WeiDU that's already called "setup-iwdification". Alastair93 needs to delete that file and all will be fine.

I HATE that G3 packages their stuff that way. There's no need to have different versions of a mod for each platform; the ONLY platform-specific part of any mod is WeiDU itself.

Unless it has sound files. Then you need oggdec (for Windows) or sox (for OSX/Linux).
    Any reason not to include them both in the same download? Why not include *everything* in one .zip folder, and let the user's computer work out what binary of what program to use for which files? (Or, does the .tp2 file change depending on which sound-handling program is used? In that case you would really need separate versions, I guess.)
    No. WeiDU has a HANDLE_AUDIO function to handle converting .ogg files to .wav for installation. It requires oggdec or sox, depending on your platform. But, if the mod packages a binary from 2002 (which is what I usually see), it won't work on modern Macs. Also, most mods are packaged on Windows, so the execute bit isn't set on the sox binary (and the WeiDU binary) anyway.
  • kt_m_smithkt_m_smith Member Posts: 3
    @‌AstroBryGuy

I am completely puzzled. I have had the same issues other people here had had, followed the advice, the tweaks, the possible little things that possibly happened but to no avail, I keep getting the FATAL ERROR. The only thing I am left to wonder is, does this process not work for BG2 Vanilla and only work for EE? I will admit my fault in hunting for the most easily understandable modding which lead me here, am I SOL? trying to install OSX-bg2fixpack-v10 and OSX-widescreen-v3.05 on Mavericks on bg2 Vanilla in wine.
    @kt_m_smith‌ - If you're getting the "FATAL ERROR: Failure("Not a game directory")" message, then you're not in the correct folder. Basically, you want to install the mods in the same folder as the CHITIN.KEY file.

Go to the app package for BG2, right-click and select "Show Package Contents". Next, navigate to Contents/Resources/drive_c/GOG Games/Baldur's Gate 2/. The CHITIN.KEY file should be here.

(this is assuming that you're using the GOG download. If not, you'll need to know the C:\ path to BG2 and replace everything after "drive_c" with that)

YES! Indeed I am using the gog download! And I certainly was not in the file you just suggested! I will report back with findings!
    Works! You are Brilliant! Thank you, now to experiment :D
    AstroBryGuy
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

(Or, does the .tp2 file change depending on which sound-handling program is used? In that case you would really need separate versions, I guess.)

You should be using a check like this for that reason:
    ACTION_IF ("%WEIDU_OS%" STRING_EQUAL_CASE ~OSX~ = 1) BEGIN
    // .tp2 actions for the specific stuff.
    END
    CrevsDaak
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    edited September 2014
    @AstroBryGuy‌
    HANDLE_* should take care of the executable bit transparently (for sox etc., but not WeiDU itself, obviously). If they don't, please report it so it can be fixed.
    CrevsDaakAstroBryGuy
    @wisp - Good to know. Thanks!
  • PugrogPugrog Member Posts: 4
    I feel like I'm the only person who is trying to do this - attempting to mod my un-jailbroken iPad version of BGEE using the iFunbox method (discussed elsewhere - using the Portraits folder), on a mac with Mavericks and this guide for modding.
    1. Copied BGEE to desktop using iFunbox
    2. Located "Resource Folder" - it is the actual game app folder, accessed using "Show Package Contents"
    3. Installed Weidu 236 (weidu-mavericks) to Resource folder and renamed weidu
    4. Deleted other (older) install command files (setup-xxxxxx.command, etc)
    5. Installed mod contents to Resource Folder (Trying G3 level1npcs)
    6. Installed OS-X Weidu Launcher (from this forum - I was having trouble with the terminal - I'm not that computer savvy)
    7. Ran OS-X Weidu Launcher

Starts up fine (this took some troubleshooting), and gets to language, gets to first install option - Fails everything and I receive this message:

"As far as WeiDU can tell, you're not running any version of BG2, BGT or
    Tutu here. Please check your directory and filepaths before trying again."

I'm at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.

Or is L1NPCs just not compatible with BGEE? I'm not sure I saw it in the list. I'll try a different mod next...