Skip to content

If You Could Only Choose One NPC Divine Caster...

jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
Hi all,

Question as in subject. Assuming a party complete with fighters, thieves, mages and a bard, if there is only ONE more slot open and you want an NPC divine caster (Aerie, Anomen, Jaheira or Viconia) to round things up, who would you choose?

Divine caster is to fulfill the following roles:

1. Summoning (30%)
2. Debuffing (30%)
3. Melee/Ranged (20%)
4. Buffing (10%)
5. Healing (10%)

I have someone in mind, but I'd like to sound off other players to see if there is a convergence of opinions

Cheers

J.

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Anomen and Jaheira are the best in powergaming terms. However, both Vicy and Aerie have their perks. Your list of summoning, debuffing, melee, buffing, healing in order sounds like Jaheira. Anomen would be more like Buffing, melee, summoning, debuffing, healing ;)
  • jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    edited March 2014
    Indeed. My choice was Jaheira, though Anomen wasn't very far off.

I typically have 2-3 Fighter/Mages of various stripes hold the front line augmented by arcane buffs, some minor divine buffs, and Enhanced Bard Song. Jaheira will then cast summons (Greater Elemental Summoning, Summon Deva) and debuffs (Nature's Beauty, Dispel Magic) in an alternating fashion. This leaves her with little time for actual fighting and casting buffs. Not that I'm very impressed by divine buffs. They tend to give minor bonuses to hit and AC, but that's about it. I'll pre-buff, but I usually find them not worth the trouble to recast after they expire in a prolonged fight unless I can run away and regroup.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    As you already have fighters, you won't be needing Jaheira or Anomen to front line. I would pick Viconia as she is the better divine spell CASTER and she'll have the most spells available. Equip her with a sling and along with her 19 dexterity she'll be very good on the back line next to your mage.
    SionIV said:

As you already have fighters, you won't be needing Jaheira or Anomen to front line. I would pick Viconia as she is the better divine spell CASTER and she'll have the most spells available. Equip her with a sling and along with her 19 dexterity she'll be very good on the back line next to your mage.

Interesting. What spells would you carry as a high-level cleric focusing on summoning and debuffing?
    jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

Interesting. What spells would you carry as a high-level cleric focusing on summoning and debuffing?
    First of all i'm curious to who you're using for buffs, because the best buffs in the game comes from clerics. So unless you have a cleric in your party already, you're missing out on the most powerful buffs in the game, so i would advice to get some of those on Viconia as well.

Summons :

Animate Dead (Level 3) - (Your best summon once you hit level 15)
    Conjure Animals (Level 6)
    Aerial Servants (Level 6)

You won't be using that many debuffs as a divine caster, you should leave that to your arcane casters. I'm still really curious as to who you're using to get your divine buffs.
    SionIV said:

jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

First of all i'm curious to who you're using for buffs, because the best buffs in the game comes from clerics. So unless you have a cleric in your party already, you're missing out on the most powerful buffs in the game, so i would advice to get some of those on Viconia as well.

Summons :

You won't be using that many debuffs as a divine caster, you should leave that to your arcane casters. I'm still really curious as to who you're using to get your divine buffs.
    As I explained, I'm not very impressed by divine buffs. It's not because they are really that bad, but because of my preferred party composition and I usually ignore divine buffs if they are caster-only. If I want a cleric to be buffed into a fighter, I'd consider a fighter first.

I'll run through the list of common divine buffs that druids have no access to, that are of some relevance:

1. Protection from Evil - Mages get this, as with some items. -2 AC on front-liners isn't very great if the front-liners are already Fighter/Mages with Stoneskin and Mirror Images
    2. Remove Fear - Mages get this, and I'm cheap enough to get a Planetar or Deva to cast it for me. Druids can cast Summon Deva
    3. Chant - A loss of +1 to-hit and damage for the party, and -1 to-hit and damage for monsters
    4. Draw Upon Holy Might - Contrary to most opinions, I don't think too highly of this. Short duration and caster-only. If I have quality front-liners I won't bother with this one (cleric base THAC0 is merely half-decent and definitely not for Aerie and Viconia, who usually have 18+ strength from equips)
    5. Free Action - There are rings, and it negates Improved Haste anyway, which I don't like
    6. Holy Power - As with DUHM, if I have quality front-liners I won't bother with this
    7. Protection from Evil 10' Radius - Mages just have to carry more of this if really needed.
    8. Champion's Strength - Same reasoning as #4 and #6. Giving up spellcasting is no-no
    9. Righteous Magic - Again, as with #4, #6 and #8

Druids only really lose out on #3, and the group of self-buffs #4, #6, #8 and #9.
    As an additional aside, the real king of druidic magic is Cernd, as much as it might sound embarrassing to say he's any good. At 3m experience, Cernd hits D15 and gets 6 L7 slots, but Viconia will struggle with only 2 L7 slots at C21 and Jaheira has only 1 L7 slot at D14. He can then spam the following one after another:

1. Summon Deva/Greater Elemental Summoning (L7 spells)
    2. Summon Fire Elemental/Conjure Animals (L6 spells)

But I don't like a man who abandoned his wife and kid ;)
    edited March 2014
    jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

Summons :

As I explained, I'm not very impressed by divine buffs. It's not because they are really that bad, but because of my preferred party composition and I usually ignore divine buffs if they are caster-only. If I want a cleric to be buffed into a fighter, I'd consider a fighter first.

I'll run through the list of common divine buffs that druids have no access to, that are of some relevance:

1. Protection from Evil - Mages get this, as with some items. -2 AC on front-liners isn't very great if the front-liners are already Fighter/Mages with Stoneskin and Mirror Images
    2. Remove Fear - Mages get this, and I'm cheap enough to get a Planetar or Deva to cast it for me. Druids can cast Summon Deva
    3. Chant - A loss of +1 to-hit and damage for the party, and -1 to-hit and damage for monsters
    4. Draw Upon Holy Might - Contrary to most opinions, I don't think too highly of this. Short duration and caster-only. If I have quality front-liners I won't bother with this one (cleric base THAC0 is merely half-decent and definitely not for Aerie and Viconia, who usually have 18+ strength from equips)
    5. Free Action - There are rings, and it negates Improved Haste anyway, which I don't like
    6. Holy Power - As with DUHM, if I have quality front-liners I won't bother with this
    7. Protection from Evil 10' Radius - Mages just have to carry more of this if really needed.
    8. Champion's Strength - Same reasoning as #4 and #6. Giving up spellcasting is no-no

Druids only really lose out on #3, and the group of self-buffs #4, #6, #8 and #9.
    1.) Protection from evil '10 has a longer duration and covers your entire party. One simple spell slot to put that spell on everyone in your party, mages can't do this and shouldn't waste a spell slot on that.

2.) Remove fear is a level 1 divine spell, the mage has to use a level 2 arcane spell to get the same. You'll want to save your mage spell slots. Especially level 2 that will give you blur/Mirrror image.

3.) Chant is an alright spell, but really not that good.

4.) Amazing spell but not that useful on a pure cleric, and as you say short duration.

5.) Free action is alright, but as you mentioned you can get equip that does the same.

6.) Only useful on C/F

7.) You would give up 6 magic missile spells instead of one divine spell slot?

8.) C/F again.

9.) C/F again.

You happen to have missed out on the most powerful divine buff spells.

1.) Chaotic command. The imunities this spell grants you are immense. You'll be immune to anything from a mind flayers psionic attack to confuse from spells and umberhulk. This spell is bread and butter.

2.) Death ward. Put this on your fighters and they are immune to all spells that can kill them instantly. If you add protection from petrification (Level 1 mage spell) you'll be good for anything.

3.) Defensive Harmony. This spell has a short duration but it adds +2 AC to everyone in your party.

4.) Lightning/Fire resistance spells. Your mage will get something equal, but we're talking about giving up the few mid level spell slots you have on your mage to use this. Viconia will be sitting with many divine spell slots that can be used for these.

You'll want to use Viconia to save up several mage spell slots. The only buff spells your mage should get to help out the party are haste and improved haste.

Cleric -> Summon / Buff / Heal.
    Mage -> Summon / Debuff / Damage.

edited March 2014
    SionIV said:

jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

Summons :

1.) Protection from evil '10 has a longer duration and covers your entire party. One simple spell slot to put that spell on everyone in your party, mages can't do this and shouldn't waste a spell slot on that.

2.) Remove fear is a level 1 divine spell, the mage has to use a level 2 arcane spell to get the same. You'll want to save your mage spell slots. Especially level 2 that will give you blur/Mirrror image.

4.) Amazing spell but not that useful on a pure cleric, and as you say short duration.

5.) Free action is alright, but as you mentioned you can get equip that does the same.

6.) Only useful on C/F

8.) C/F again.

9.) C/F again.

1.) Chaotic command. The imunities this spell grants you are immense. You'll be immune to anything from a mind flayers psionic attack to confuse from spells and umberhulk. This spell is bread and butter.

2.) Death ward. Put this on your fighters and they are immune to all spells that can kill them instantly. If you add protection from petrification (Level 1 mage spell) you'll be good for anything.

3.) Defensive Harmony. This spell has a short duration but it adds +2 AC to everyone in your party.

4.) Lightning/Fire resistance spells. Your mage will get something equal, but we're talking about giving up the few mid level spell slots you have on your mage to use this. Viconia will be sitting with many divine spell slots that can be used for these.

Check the Druid spellbook. All four spells you listed are accessible with druids and I have already explained in my previous post that I'm only talking about spells that druids have no access. If you changed your druid spellbook from mods that's a different story :)
    edited March 2014
    jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

Summons :

6.) Only useful on C/F

8.) C/F again.

9.) C/F again.

Check the Druid spellbook. All four spells you listed are accessible with druids. If you changed your druid spellbook from mods that's a different story :)
    Yes i do know that druids get them as well, i'm just curious why you're saying that? From what i gather of your original post you don't have any divine caster. In a party like that i would pick Viconia over Jaheira and Anomen because you already got fighters, and you'll get more use out of Viconia.

Druid vs Cleric has been an age old discussion. I find clerics to be more useful than druids and if you have to pick only one divine caster i would grab the cleric.

The question is if you want a divine spell casters or a fighter with some divine spells on the side.

Viconia will give you the most divine spells and she comes with 19 dex and 65% magic resistance. As a divine spell casters no one comes close to her.
    SionIV said:

jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

Summons :

6.) Only useful on C/F

8.) C/F again.

9.) C/F again.

Check the Druid spellbook. All four spells you listed are accessible with druids. If you changed your druid spellbook from mods that's a different story :)
    Yes i do know that druids get them as well, i'm just curious why you're saying that? From what i gather of your original post you don't have any divine caster. In a party like that i would pick Viconia over Jaheira and Anomen because you already got fighters, and you'll get more use out of Viconia.

Druid vs Cleric has been an age old discussion. I find clerics to be more useful than druids and if you have to pick only one divine caster i would grab the cleric.
    Fair question. From your post, it seemed that you were using the four spells to justify Viconia over Jaheira, when Jaheira has these spells too. So if Viconia doesn't really have these spells as her unique advantage, then we'll have to go back to the drawing board on why Viconia is superior to Jaheira in this case.

My consideration is not so much about Druid vs Cleric, but I'm trying to restrict myself to using a classic NPC when I already have planned for the rest of the party. I CAN get away with it by making a R/C, but I've played with custom characters before and I really didn't like it... the most I can do is to hold my nose and play with just ONE, and even then I might retch. So I'm trying to figure out whether I can really get away with ONE divine caster and using just the NPCs.

Druid vs Cleric is also an age-old argument that I think is pretty much bunk anyway. Both classes have their place depending on the composition of the party, play style, and the mods installed.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    My main is Beastmaster/Cleric. In one character, i get two divine casters... Also, a bard is a jack of all trades. Never put that in my team. You can oust the bard and pick anomen and jaheira, which are both fighter 1/2, which is pretty strong and can equip many items, but need x4 more XP to raise properly. This is a tough one. I would choose Jaheira, though. Your summoning percentage is high (30), and druids are better summoners than clerics, as they say. Also, the bugs are anti mage and you need that.
    jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

Summons :

6.) Only useful on C/F

8.) C/F again.

9.) C/F again.

Fair question. From your post, it seemed that you were using the four spells to justify Viconia over Jaheira, when Jaheira has these spells too. So if Viconia doesn't really have these spells as her unique advantage, then we'll have to go back to the drawing board on why Viconia is superior to Jaheira in this case.

My consideration is not so much about Druid vs Cleric, but I'm trying to restrict myself to using a classic NPC when I already have planned for the rest of the party. I CAN get away with it by making a R/C, but I've played with custom characters before and I really didn't like it... the most I can do is to hold my nose and play with just ONE, and even then I might retch. So I'm trying to figure out whether I can really get away with ONE divine caster and using just the NPCs.

Druid vs Cleric is also an age-old argument that I think is pretty much bunk anyway. Both classes have their place depending on the composition of the party, play style, and the mods installed.

Jaheira

- Better fighter
    - Druid spells

Viconia

- Better caster
    - Cleric spells
    - 65% magic resistance
    - Single class level progression
    - Turn undead

My main is Beastmaster/Cleric. In one character, i get two divine casters... Also, a bard is a jack of all trades. Never put that in my team. You can oust the bard and pick anomen and jaheira, which are both fighter 1/2, which is pretty strong and can equip many items, but need x4 more XP to raise properly. This is a tough one. I would choose Jaheira, though. Your summoning percentage is high (30), and druids are better summoners than clerics, as they say. Also, the bugs are anti mage and you need that.

Bard is sort of a niche character that I use only when I'm pushing for high DPS (like this run-through... I used to play mage/cleric-heavy parties) via Enhanced Bard Song (both melee and ranged damage are boosted, and I remember summons are boosted too). When the guy isn't singing, I'll switch between the song and rods/wands (Reversal, Resurrection and Spell Striking) from quickslots, or sometimes try to hit with a stray bolt or two from Firetooth +5. Otherwise, he is there mainly to cast various mage buffs and utility spells before a fight (I leave the debuffs to a full mage), such as Improved Haste, so that my mages can free up their slots.

I'd say that bards are deadly if the party has many high-APR fighters and can spam strong summons like Planetars, Devas and Elemental Princes, since their bard song effect is amplified across all your allies. But for a party that is magic-heavy, bards are meh.
    SionIV said:

jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

Summons :

6.) Only useful on C/F

8.) C/F again.

9.) C/F again.

Jaheira

- Better fighter
    - Druid spells

Viconia

- Better caster
    - Cleric spells
    - 65% magic resistance
    - Turn undead
    Thanks @SionIV‌. Most succinct summary of the debate. I value Jaheira's fighter abilities and druid spells, but I also like Viconia's cleric spells (albeit less than druid spells) and command undead (I don't intend to romance her). I'll have to test the setup for a bit more.

Now that we're at it, I'm wondering if Cernd can go head to head with Viconia...
    edited March 2014
    jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

jacobtan said:

SionIV said:

Summons :

6.) Only useful on C/F

8.) C/F again.

9.) C/F again.

Jaheira

- Better fighter
    - Druid spells

Viconia

- Better caster
    - Cleric spells
    - 65% magic resistance
    - Turn undead
    Thanks @SionIV‌. Most succinct summary of the debate. I value Jaheira's fighter abilities and druid spells, but I also like Viconia's cleric spells (albeit less than druid spells) and command undead (I don't intend to romance her). I'll have to test the setup for a bit more.

Now that we're at it, I'm wondering if Cernd can go head to head with Viconia...
    Both have a wisdom of 18 and will be great casters. Other than that Viconia has much better stats than Cernd, and her 65% magic resistance will blow anything he has out of the water.

Viconia :

STR - 10
    DEX - 19
    CON - 8
    INT - 16
    WIS - 18
    CHA - 14

= 85

Cernd :

STR - 13
    DEX - 9
    CON - 13
    INT - 12
    WIS - 18
    CHA - 15

= 85

Now remember that constitution 7-14 gives the same amount of additional health. So Cernd won't get anymore health out of his constitution than Viconia get from hers, that's 5 points that are useless.

CON 7-14 = 0
    CON 15 = +1
    CON 16 = +2 (Max for any none fighter class)

Cernd has abysmal dexterity and will lose out on quite some AC there while Viconia has 19 which is amazing for ranged weapon and she get the highest AC you can get (21 dex is the next breakpoint). You most probably won't give Cernd the gauntlets of dexterity as there are so many other NPC's that find them useful.

The difference between 10 and 13 strength is minimal at the most, give Viconia a spell to boost her strength or some gear (Weapon, Belt) and you'll be fine here.

Viconia has higher intelligence than Cernd meaning better lore.

They have the same Wisdom score.

Cernd have one higher charisma.

So you'll see Viconia is all around better. Now throw into the mix that she can use a full plate, turn undead and have 65% magic resistance. I really like Cernd but unless you're after a druid, Viconia is better at pretty much everything.
    @SionIV‌ I agree with your general analysis, except that I don't count things like Lore, Charisma when assessing character strength (they will be superseded anyway).

I think the only thing that Cernd really has over Viconia is the structure of the Druidic spell progression. At 3m experience, Cernd will get 6 L7 spell slots while Viconia will still be struggling with 2. Cernd's spell progression is basically capped at L25, but Viconia will only get her 6th L7 spell slot at 5.85m experience, meaning if you're pretty creative at using your extra L7 slots, Cernd is not irredeemable while Viconia plays catch-up. But thereafter, he loses steam. His MR is capped at 40% with a spell, can't use the better equips, and Viconia will outstrip him in spell progression very quickly, plus she will have Command/Turn Undead.

If Cernd can cast spells while in shapeshifted form, they would be more evenly matched. After all, he's that good at controlling his werewolf form, can't he cast spells in it? :D
    jacobtan said:

@SionIV‌ I agree with your general analysis, except that I don't count things like Lore, Charisma when assessing character strength (they will be superseded anyway).

I think the only thing that Cernd really has over Viconia is the structure of the Druidic spell progression. At 3m experience, Cernd will get 6 L7 spell slots while Viconia will still be struggling with 2. Cernd's spell progression is basically capped at L25, but Viconia will only get her 6th L7 spell slot at 5.85m experience, meaning if you're pretty creative at using your extra L7 slots, Cernd is not irredeemable while Viconia plays catch-up. But thereafter, he loses steam. His MR is capped at 40% with a spell, can't use the better equips, and Viconia will outstrip him in spell progression very quickly, plus she will have Command/Turn Undead.

If Cernd can cast spells while in shapeshifted form, they would be more evenly matched. After all, he's that good at controlling his werewolf form, can't he cast spells in it? :D

Would also like to mention that Viconia will get a symbol of Talos. Sadly druids don't get anything like this, and that's more MR and spells for Viconia.
    @SionIV‌ Not really a big issue for spell memorization since he does get the Heartwood Ring, but of course he loses out on the Str and MR bonuses
    jacobtan said:

@SionIV‌ Not really a big issue for spell memorization since he does get the Heartwood Ring, but of course he loses out on the Str and MR bonuses

Forgot about the heartwood ring, thank you for reminding me about that one. Still you'll have to get quite far into ToB to get hold of it, and it's not as good as the Symbol which is possible to get in SoA.
    Sounds like someone's on a mission for Viconia. I'll admit she does evoke an emotional response from me too, but I'm not sure she'll hold up in an objective analysis.

Sounds like someone's on a mission for Viconia. I'll admit she does evoke an emotional response from me too, but I'm not sure she'll hold up in an objective analysis.

IMO, Viconia is a good cleric, but she has always been overrated. Best I can say for her is that she has abilities that allow her to hold her own, but to say she is decisively better than the other divine casters is a stretch.
    People say she's overrated because they want a divine spell caster that is also a fighter. Viconia is for clerics what Edwin is for mages, you can't make a 'better' pure cleric than her.

The 65% magic resistance alone is enough to put her up with the best.

She can easily sit on

STR - 19
    DEX - 19
    CON - 18
    INT - 16
    WIS - 18
    CHA - 14

The only thing holding her back is her APR, which isn't a fault of hers, just people used to having a fighter/divine caster combination.
    It just so happens that APR is the single biggest contributor to damage output.
    edited March 2014

It just so happens that APR is the single biggest contributor to damage output.

It just so happens that we're talking about a divine spell caster, not a killing machine. It's like complaining that a mage doesn't have 10 APR and a big ass two handed sword. You don't need to have a high damage output to be a great contributor to the party, the skald and cleric is proof of this.

Give me a skald or cleric any day over a half-orc berserker.
    I understand that, but I think the trade-off you make with Jaheira and especially Anomen is well worth it.
    edited March 2014
    @SionIV‌ @FinneousPJ‌

When we look at NPC strengths, there are some questions we need to ask:

1. Does the NPC have any meaningful special abilities that other characters in his category cannot duplicate?
    - Anomen vs Viconia - Viconia has 65% MR, but Anomen can easily get to 40% MR with a spell. But his +1/2 APR as a F7 and access to grandmastery cannot be duplicated by Viconia. Viconia has a fair advantage in MR, but Anomen's APR advantage is massive in comparison

2. When we use the ideal build for an NPC (equips, etc.) is the same build accessible to other characters in his category?
    - If Viconia can get to Str 19 with a belt, so can Aerie/Cernd. Viconia has no special advantage whatsoever. The same applies to Con 18 with a belt. Aerie/Cernd can take advantage of it too. No points for Viconia

3. For class-based abilities (e.g. druid vs cleric spells), how relevant are the abilities that are unique to an NPC?
    - There are cleric-only spells and druid-only spells, but can one class access the spells of the other class by items? We should only count the spells that are truly unique, then assess their relevance. If cleric-only spells don't count for much, but druid-only spells can be game-changers (e.g. Nature's Beauty), then we need to give more weightage to druids

4. Minor abilities should be discounted
    - Minor bonuses like 15 Str vs 14 Str, or 15 Int vs 14 Int (for lore in non-mage classes) should not be counted at all. These will be superseded by items and are inconsequential in normal play, so no points.
    - I hear people gush over Viconia's 18 Wis vs Anomen's 12 Wis. Objectively, it counts for very little. It's just 2 L1, 2 L2, 1 L3 and 1 L4 slots. Do we even cast many of them in the tough fights (e.g. Ascension or Demogorgon), or does that one additional spell or two really count in the tough fights when clerics already have mountains of L1-4 spells?

On the above counts, I don't rate Viconia very highly. But she is, sadly, more potent than Cernd.

I understand that, but I think the trade-off you make with Jaheira and especially Anomen is well worth it.

I agree with you here depending on your party. If i'm running Keldorn and Mazzy it isn't worth it, as i already have a stable frontline. In this party Viconia (who would die to Keldorn) would give my team more. If i had been running a party that wasn't as heavy on the front line i would gladly place Anomen or Jaheira there to help out and contribute with divine spells to the party.
    edited March 2014
    jacobtan said:

@SionIV‌ @FinneousPJ‌

When we look at NPC strengths, there are some questions we need to ask:

1. Does the NPC have any meaningful special abilities that other characters in his category cannot duplicate?
    - Anomen vs Viconia - Viconia has 65% MR, but Anomen can easily get to 40% MR with a spell. But his +1/2 APR as a F7 and access to grandmastery cannot be duplicated by Viconia. Viconia has a fair advantage in MR, but Anomen's APR advantage is massive in comparison

2. When use the ideal build for an NPC (equips, etc.) is the same build accessible to other characters in his category?
    - If Viconia can get to Str 19 with a belt, so can Aerie/Cernd. Viconia has no special advantage whatsoever. The same applies to Con 18 with a belt. Aerie/Cernd can take advantage of it too. No points for Viconia

3. For class-based abilities (e.g. druid vs cleric spells), how relevant are the abilities that are unique to an NPC?
    - There are cleric-only spells and druid-only spells, but can one class access the spells of the other class by items? We should only count the spells that are truly unique, then assess their relevance. If cleric-only spells don't count for much, but druid-only spells can be game-changers (e.g. Nature's Beauty), then we need to give more weightage to druids

4. Minor abilities should be discounted
    - Minor bonuses like 15 Str vs 14 Str, or 15 Int vs 14 Int (for lore in non-mage classes) should not be counted at all. These will be superseded by items and are inconsequential in normal play, so no points.

On the above counts, I don't rate Viconia very highly. But she is, sadly, more potent than Cernd.

1.) You're talking about having Anomen at level 40 (!) and even then he doesn't have as much as Viconia. Right from level 8 Viconia is sitting on 65%. Throw in the Human skin +5 and she'll sit on 85% (!) magic resistance. Throw in the amulet that grants you 10% MR and then wait for her symbol and she'll be completely immune to magic with the exception of Imprisonment. No one can get this high MR this early, unless it's a paladin with Carsomyr and then you're still 15% behind a naked Viconia. To have such a high MR in a game like BG2 where mages are your worst enemies, i don't think i need to explain this anymore.

2.) But the point is that Aerie and Cernd are lacking in other areas. If you hand Cernd the belt Viconia will still be stronger with said belt than Cernd. The reason you're giving a point to Viconia here is because it's so simple and easy to get hold of these items, it's not nearly as easy to repair the flaws of some other characters.

3.) The cleric has a much better spell list to draw from. When you play a pure class druid you'll notice that on some spell levels you will have nothing usefull to pick (Unless Avenger, and even then level 1 and 2 sucks). The cleric always has something useful to pick from, and they also have MORE spells to pick from.

4.) I disagree with the lore part, it's a wonderful thing to have and 15 gives you nothing while 16 gives you +5 lore which is the difference between being able to identify a longsword +1 and failing. If you want to go for this then Cernd has so many useless stats that it's depressing.
    edited March 2014
    @SionIV‌ Not sure where you are getting your numbers, but they are off.

1. MR is 2% per level, capped at L20 for 40%. Anomen gets 40% MR at L20. Not too far off Viconia since 7 levels in Fighter hardly hurts his XP progression. For Viconia, I'd say there is a way to tap into her MR, but for a character who supports from the back, wouldn't she be targeted LESS by monsters unless you put her at the front lines (and hence contradicting your strategy)?

There is a good way to use Viconia's MR, but I doubt it's as clear-cut as expected, at least in practice

2. Hmm. I'm not giving any points here to anyone. If Viconia is graded highly because of high strength from an item, and another character in comparison can also use the item, it is only logical that no points are given to anyone.

3. Druid vs. Cleric argument. There are pros and cons for both, though at the high levels, for spell selection, clerics win at the lower levels, but druids come out ahead at the higher levels. Situational I'd say

4. Eh... you can identify with spells, scrolls, items (glasses), at temples, bards... surely you don't need that measly lore bonus that will be superseded by another option? If that's the case, wouldn't Cernd's 15 Cha be more effective than Viconia's 14 Cha when it comes to being your "front man"? I know I wouldn't care for either since I'd have someone with 20 Cha anyway :D

Yes, Cernd's base stats are depressing. I don't like him, but I like to root for the underdog :'(