Skip to content

Possible lore/info about BG2 dragons - [MINOR SPOILERS INCLUDED]

CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
While reading about canon dragons of Faerun, I was thinking how BG2 wyrms could fit into the whole Realmslore. We just know their goals/motivations within the frame time of SoA, but I was wondering about a few things:
- how old could Firkraag, Adalon, Thaxll'ssillya and Nizidramanii'yt actually be. Are all of them great wyrms?
- their backgrounds before SoA - such long lived creatures definitely should had some influence if not on global scale, then on local at least.
- what are/was most notable enemies/rivals of theirs, over a span of the centuries. Most of dragons have one or few fierce rivals, with whom they fight territorial skirmishes.
- could these four dragons clash with each other in past. Do they know each other?
- what's their relationship with the Cult of the Dragon? Did the cultists approach them with an offering of dracolichdom?
- how powerful, comparing to the mightiest wyrms of the Realms, (i.e Daurgothoth "The Creeping Doom", Tchazzar, Imvaernarhro "Inferno", Larendrammagar "Nexus", Palarandusk "The Unseen Protector" or Raulothim "The Silent Shadow") they could be? I mean sheer magical might. For instance "the Creeping Doom" on top of being a black great wyrm dracolich is a 25th level spellcaster and one of the leaders of the Cult of Dragon. His sheer magical powers could even exceed those of the most epic players like Elminster, Larloch, Sammaster or Ioulaum.

How do you think? Did you ever consider what their stories could be? Did anyone tried to write them down?

For instance I always felt that Firkraag is little too sophisticated for a red dragon. I imagine red wyrms as more impatient and more interested in collecting their hoards or conducting rampaging flights after awaking from long slumber. The whole plot with punishing Gareth Windspear is more fitting for green or black dragon than a red one, at least for my taste. But what do you think?
Post edited by Cahir on

Comments

• CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited April 2014
    So, how about the Cult of Dragon and their designs on our dragons? Here are some ideas using some canon info:

Firkraag - Cult of Dragon made several attempts to persuade Firkraag to embrace dracolichdom, but each time it ended badly for the cultists. Old red wyrm resents the idea of becoming undead creature and thinks, that when his time comes it comes. Lately he attracted attention of Aurgloroasa, the female dracolich leader of cult's Sembian Cell. But the interest of dracolich is a bit different than persuading 'ol Firkraag to embrace lichdom. For some time "The Sibilant Shade" has been contemplating idea of restoring Shargrailar "the Dark" - the first dracolich ever created by the Cult, later destroyed by Shandril Shessair with her spell fire - to his udead life. Apparently Aurgloroasa found a way to magically bound the red dracolich to her will if she ever decide to restore him, using his phylactery hidden safely among her hoard. Shadow dracolich has but one hindrance, she needs a host body for her would-be servant, a body of a great red wyrm. The plan hatched in Aurgloroasa's mind to dispatch groups of adventurers to Firkraag's lair through agents of her Cult's cell, to kill old wyrm. She, then plan to secure his corpse to use it to bring back Shargrailar to his undead existence. Firkraag is completely unaware of dracolich's plan and erroneously thinks, that increasing numbers of adventurers storming his lair in Windspear Hills have all to do with rescuing the daughter of Gareth Windspear from his clutches.

Thaxll'ssillya - Recent reappearance of Thaxll'ssillya in Material Plane attracts attention of his mother Shhuussshuru "the Shadow Wing", the dracolich of the Far Hills. Long lasted animosity between Thaxll'ssillya and his mother is tied with the shadow dragon's older sibling, Aurgloroasa "the Sibilant Blade", leader of the Cult of Dragon cell in Sembia. The Shadow Wing always thought, that her daughter can achieve grandeur, unlike her brother who lacks her wits. This led to centuries old antipathy between Thaxll'ssillya and Aurgloroasa. When Shhuussshuru learned her son's return to Faerun under Shade Lord's command, she managed to persuade her daughter to snatch Thaxll'ssillya from Shade Lord's clutches and make an attempt to reunite with him. Shadow Dragon from Umar Hills is unaware that both his mother and his sister embraced dracolichdom, but centuries spent in the Plane of Shadow growth his longing for his mother and, in lesser extent, his sister. If both female dracoliches ever made contact with Thaxll'ssillya they will likely persuade him to become a dracolich and join the ranks of the Cult of Dragon, most likely its Sembian cell under his sisters banner. Agents of the Sibilant Shade secretly encourages mayor of Umar Hills village to employ adventurers to get rid of the evil that plagues vicinity. Of course, they were told to monitor, that the shadow dragon will remain unscathed.

Still no ideas about Nizidramanii'yt. He always felt little off with the whole SoA plot. I'd like to hear some interesting background about him.
    Post edited by Cahir on
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    No Broccoflowers here...

*Anduin continues his search...*