Skip to content

Dopplegangers in Candlekeep

When you enter the catacombs and find your old friends who are dopplegangers, does this mean they were always dopplegangers? Or have they been killed by them and taken their forms?

(It's been a while since I played this part :P)

Comments

• jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    Probably not killed, since at the passage, you see dopplegangers taking on the forms of Gorion and Elminster.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    edited April 2014

No they weren't always dopplegangers.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    But what if they always were dopplegangers? Can you prove? How would you really know? Dun dun...

Nah, I think you never meet someone in the Keep that's a doplleganger save for that one monk. Below the Keep, are the dopplegangers of everyone you know, waiting for a moment to swarm up and kill everyone and replace them. You stopped them just in time.

Hurray, you.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Don't doppelgangers usually kill people after assuming their appearance? :(?
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,582

When you enter the catacombs and find your old friends who are dopplegangers, does this mean they were always dopplegangers? Or have they been killed by them and taken their forms?

They were NOT always doppelgangers - at some point while you were away, the fortress was infiltrated by doppelgangers, who gradually began taking over the identities of your friends, likely to set a trap for you in the event that you returned.

When you return to Candlekeep, some people mention to you that others there have begun to act strangely and not like themselves. These are the same warnings that you had received about people in Baldur's city who had been replaced by doppelgangers.

I had always been under the impression that these people were killed and replaced by the doppelgangers, although element's post has cast doubts on that. Even then, I wonder whether the presence of the characters after killing the doppelgangers may just be an oversight by the original devs and/or limitation in the game mechanics.
    Twani said:

Nah, I think you never meet someone in the Keep that's a doplleganger save for that one monk. Below the Keep, are the dopplegangers of everyone you know, waiting for a moment to swarm up and kill everyone and replace them. You stopped them just in time.

Hurray, you.

Don't forget that there are tons of dead bodies strewn all around the Catacombs, including the rooms where you meet the doppelgangers. I always got the impression that those are the bodies of the people who have just been "replaced." It seems to me that the doppelgangers have been gradually replacing the inhabitants of the city for some time and dumping their bodies in the Catacombs.

The game seems to imply (or outright state?) this at some point, but from what I understand, if you don't kill Sarevok's (foster) father in the library, you will be arrested anyway because doppelgangers with the appearances of your party have killed them and left you to be framed (I've never tried this path myself, so I can't confirm it) - so that would obviously indicate that doppelgangers can copy people without having to kill them.

Incidentally, there's a part in one of the merchant buildings where you meet a merchant who is really a doppelganger, and he says to you something like, "I have you face, but can you tell me your name?" before revealing himself as a doppelganger.

element's post is certainly a revelation, but I still wonder whether that's just an oversight by the original devs.
    jackjack said:

In the Catacombs, when you are confronted by the doppelgangers of your friends, they accuse you of doing the opposites of deeds that you have been performing throughout the game - i.e: Dreppin accuses you of poisoning his cow instead of curing her, Hull accuses you of stealing his sword instead of returning it, etc.

I was thinking that a cool plot twist/mindfuck would've been if it turned out that all your actions throughout the first half of the game were really just a delusion, and you really had been doing all these horrible things instead (sort of like the plots to "Angel Heart" or "The Machinist").

Twani said:

Hurray, you.

Don't forget that there are tons of dead bodies strewn all around the Catacombs, including the rooms where you meet the doppelgangers. I always got the impression that those are the bodies of the people who have just been "replaced." It seems to me that the doppelgangers have been gradually replacing the inhabitants of the city for some time and dumping their bodies in the Catacombs.

The game seems to imply (or outright state?) this at some point, but from what I understand, if you don't kill Sarevok's (foster) father in the library, you will be arrested anyway because doppelgangers with the appearances of your party have killed them and left you to be framed (I've never tried this path myself, so I can't confirm it) - so that would obviously indicate that doppelgangers can copy people without having to kill them.

Incidentally, there's a part in one of the merchant buildings where you meet a merchant who is really a doppelganger, and he says to you something like, "I have you face, but can you tell me your name?" before revealing himself as a doppelganger.

element's post is certainly a revelation, but I still wonder whether that's just an oversight by the original devs.
    Yeah, I think I saw that! I spared those morons in my last playthrough. For them to be killed by doppelgangers is pathetic!
    I also think that the huge piles of bodies are the doppelganger's victims. :(
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited April 2014
    its interesting really because there's a lot of questions raised regardless of how you look at it.

We certainly know not everyone is a doppelganger just from talking to npcs. It seems unlikely that the doppelgangers would just finish there work without conquering the keep. Also I think Cadderly and Tethorol would probably be able to identify an entire town full of doppelgangers. Another consideration is that you are framed and imprisoned. If the doppelgangers were in charge why not just kill you when they took you into custody.

Another consideration is why these doppelgangers are in the catacombs. They have no reason to be there if they've already taken most of the keep. In fact it would greatly jeopardise there secrecy if the remaining
    inhabitants noticed that half the keep kept randomly disappearing into the inaccessible catacombs. Equally if both the original and the doppelganger were in the tomb then how would those of the keep not pick up on the individuals absence

The bodies in the tombs hardest part to really explain. I expect some are simply the dead of candle keep who have been experimented on. The others must indeed be victims although they could easily be people from outside of candle keep as well as from within. I suspect the main use of the bodies was experimentation and victim disposal.

something I also think is worth taking into account is the npcs you meet in the catacombs it seems unlikely they wouldn't have more to say if the most disastrous explanation were indeed the case here.

We also already know that the doppelgangers don't need to kill/have anything to do with there victims because we see them assume forms for Elminster and the other legends whom there's no way they have killed. To me it just seems as though far too many issues arise with any explanation other then those in the catacombs being the doppelgangers who have yet to take there place in the keep.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    I believe the good people of Candlekeep were gone from long ago; yet not dead, necessarily... The doppelgangers probably replaced them sometime, when the entire crysis started (iron shortage, bandits, bhaalspawn mudered, etc.), or shortly before. What truly bothers me, is not if they are dead (the original, real denizens), but if they are possessed (instead of totally replaced); which means we inadvertedly killed them inside the Catacombs. Also, the piles of corpses in Catacombs troubled me a lot, and made me hypothesize that those were the remains of Candlekeep's good people, as another possible offchance.

The entire situation i found my playable character (and my entire party), gave me the creeps, chills, goosebumps, and scared the hell out of me, sit! Sick and psycho stuff, even for fantasy, even for a game. The only time i ever agree on anything with mad Irenicus, is the incarceration of one of them, inside his dungeon. Too bad he never had time to analyze the specimen, so as we could too learn something useful about this creepy incident...

Damn, whenever i see a greater doppelganger, or even a simple one, i always have at least 1 dispel, 1 summon (of good quality monsters), and 1 or 2 heavy offensive spells at the ready. I pause right when i spot them, and start bashing without loosing time or asking questions.
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    Dopplegangers in the game are not very smart. It is always obvious from how they speak they are a doppleganger. That would lead me to believe the only ones that have infiltrated are the ones you defeat (a monk and the one with the cat). The rest are backup to frame you or do something else.
  • TethorilofLathanderTethorilofLathander Member Posts: 427
    I always thought they came in from the secret entrance of Candlekeep, took over the catacombs and then moved into the keep in the dead of night, assassinating people in the night and dragging their bodies into the catacombs, before taking their faces and replacing them :D
  • chbrookschbrooks Member Posts: 86
    I always assumed that the doppelgangers were screwing with you in the catacombs and hadn't necessarily killed the folks whose shapes they were assuming just yet.

Doppelgangers in AD&D have the ability to read minds, so it would be pretty easy for them to figure out what would cause you the most emotional anguish.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    What if they were all doppelgangers from the start of the game, but then in Chapter 6 they start getting replaced by a second group of doppelgangers?!!!??!
  • dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
    Weirdly source material talks about Dopplegangers being neutral. Not these Dopplegangers, I presume.
    chbrooks said:

I always assumed that the doppelgangers were screwing with you in the catacombs and hadn't necessarily killed the folks whose shapes they were assuming just yet.

Doppelgangers in AD&D have the ability to read minds, so it would be pretty easy for them to figure out what would cause you the most emotional anguish.

Doppelgangers in my FACE can be read with WEAPONS. Don't nobody mimic Gorion!
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    dustbubsy said:

Weirdly source material talks about Dopplegangers being neutral. Not these Dopplegangers, I presume.

I think they're supposed to be harmless spies, in the original concept. I've never heard of a game with dopplegangers where they weren't people eating, murderous psycho's though.
    Neutral seems to be the less popular choice, as far as implementation in a game goes.
    MacHurto said:

That would lead me to believe the only ones that have infiltrated are the ones you defeat (a monk and the one with the cat).

There are almost certainly more that have been infiltrated, since several people that you meet say that others there have been behaving strangely and uncharacteristically - an indication that those people have been taken over by doppelgangers.

At the same time, we know that not everyone is yet a doppelganger - even in the Catacombs, you're assisted by those two fighters that Obe the Illusionist sent to help you.

It seemed to me that the guy who runs Candlekeep (the one who you ask to see when you get arrested, but then refuses to listen and banishes you to death) was likely a doppelganger - however, the fact that he needs to formally order your death is an indication that the guards working under him are not doppelgangers.

I think it's worth noting that doppelgangers typically replace people who have some sort of authority and then direct their underlings to do adverse things - so it makes sense that the doppelgangers would have replaced Candlekeep's political leaders, but not so much "average" folk like Phlydia or Hull.

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited April 2014
    Cut off the head and the body will die…
    If you're going to infiltrate, it makes sense to go for authority figures. If you're successful, then everyone underneath you will fall in line. If you're unsuccessful, then it doesn't matter who you replaced - you've failed.

Edit: Of course, my favorite author had a fondness for saying the opposite, but he was talking on a one-man basis.
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    edited April 2014
    But the people telling you others are behaving weird refer to the ones you fight. There is no conversation where they say someone is acting weird and then when you talk to them they are normal.

Also, the boss that puts you in prison is not a doppleganger. At least i dont think so. They have witnesses that you did it