Skip to content

How would 4e or the next edition (5e?) work for a CRPG's combat and character creation?

LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
We now have it basically confirmed that BG3 will use whatever the current D&D ruleset will be at the time of its release. Alas, 2nd ed. rules and kits will not be featured.

Loved the way 2nd ed. AD&D worked for a CRPG in the BG series. It was about as close to perfect a gaming experience as I've ever found.

I was not thrilled with the way NWN and NWN2 worked using edition 3.5.

4e I don't really know much about other than I've read it is polarizing among PnP players, and most comments by BG players are hostile towards it.

From what I'm reading 5e will hark back to earlier editions, which sounds good. But as it's being released incrementally it's still a bit abstract to me.

Can someone knowledgeable about the 4e, and what there is so far of 5e, conjecture how those rulesets would impact gameplay for BG3?

Comments

• WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    Wow, has that been confirmed? Not to troll or anything, but let's hope it won't be made shall we? If you thought 3.5 was bad 4E was worse. I do not have any great expectations for 5E after the 4E debacle.

In any case, if they REALLY want to butcher this series, why not choose a new title. Like "waterdeep" or "Calimport" at least when they make it I won't have to send them hate mail for ruining the good name of Baldur's gate.
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    It's true while true roleplayers can make 4e work it is just terrible if you don't use a terrain board and even then the rules are just too simple that you can't really use them as even a guide line which defeats the whole purpose since the dm will have to constantly spell out what everything does for players to keep them on remotely the same page on what's been changed or modified so a lvl 3 ranger/rogue does not single handedly take down armies ina single round.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    4e is very difficult to convert to a crpg (IMO) because of the way the abilities are set up. For those not familiar with the system you have 3 types of combat options: 1) at will - use whenever you want 2) encounter - once per fight 3) daily - once per extended rest. This is the same for every class from wizards to clerics to fighters.

The problem lies in the fact that the daily powers are far more powerful than anything else. This is balanced in pnp because you can't just rest whenever you want, a restriction much more difficult to implement in a video game. BG can be unbalanced already if you rest your spellcasters between each fight and use all of their best abilities at once. Imagine if you could do that with EVERY class... just scary to try and balance that out.

As far as 5e, the only thing I know is that the guy who owns my local game store is in the early testing and likes it a lot.
  • Doom972Doom972 Member Posts: 150
    Can you please provide a link? Where did they confirm it?
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

4e is very difficult to convert to a crpg (IMO) because of the way the abilities are set up. For those not familiar with the system you have 3 types of combat options: 1) at will - use whenever you want 2) encounter - once per fight 3) daily - once per extended rest. This is the same for every class from wizards to clerics to fighters.

The problem lies in the fact that the daily powers are far more powerful than anything else. This is balanced in pnp because you can't just rest whenever you want, a restriction much more difficult to implement in a video game. BG can be unbalanced already if you rest your spellcasters between each fight and use all of their best abilities at once. Imagine if you could do that with EVERY class... just scary to try and balance that out.

As far as 5e, the only thing I know is that the guy who owns my local game store is in the early testing and likes it a lot.

No more powerful than a party full of clerics, bards, and mages casting all their spells every fight. Besides, with the healing surge system, there's not nearly as much reason to actually take a full, sleeping rest after a fight. By that same token, the developers of a 4E game could more liberally use "You Can't Rest Here" mechanics without making the game too difficult, since you can heal up with healing surges.
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170

Are you saying the one selling the stuff also recommends it? That sounds like a reliable source.

IN any case what I did hear, though can't remember where, that it is "modular" and can encompass the needs of both 3.5 and 4th edition players. Which is retarded. By trying to please everyone, no one will be pleased.

Time will tell whether it is any good, but BG is far too nostalgic to be "updated". For me at least.
    Wow, it's only been a few weeks since I played 4e and I forgot all about the healing surges...

I know that a party of clerics bards and mages can streamroll most content, just in 4e it doesn't really matter what class mix you have.

Still, I'm kinda curious now where this whole 4e thing came up myself. Was there an official announcement somewhere? I don't recall them saying anything about BG3 other than they wanted to make it after the two EEs.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @kilroy_was_here that's it they only announce they have the intention of making BG3 if the EEs sell well.

As far as we know 6th edition could be out when the game is released, not 4th or 5th...
    edited August 2012
    @mlnevese Well, it's our job to make sure the EEs sell well. I plan to do my part. :P

As for the other, let's see if 5e is any good before worrying about 6e.

Also, I found the source of the 'current D&D edition' quote: forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/3134/an-entirely-unofficial-poll-that-has-no-bearing-on-reality-baldurs-gate-3
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @kilroy_was_here Hey that's why I preordered the Windows version when I have a Mac :)
  • j0lssonij0lssoni Member Posts: 53
    Worg said:

Are you saying the one selling the stuff also recommends it? That sounds like a reliable source.
    I don't really think his own, personal opinion on the product is really going to affect the sales, why can't he love/hate the thing and still sell it? I don't really give a sh*t about what my local gaming store keeper thinks of each individual MtG deck I buy from there.
  • AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270
    from what I've been able to gather 5th is a combo of 4th and 3.5, and seems to be SUPER simplified. Oh and Mages have Infinite Magic Missiles.

I have my concerns on Balance, and more so on diversity, I fear it will suffer the same way 4th did in that aspect, or worse...
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Personally I loved 3e but I loved (players option) ad & d as well. That said I didn't like the implementation in nwn mostly because of the way they did the henchmen rather than the implementation of the rules per se( I did like how out was done in icewind dale)

also if bg3 is 4e I won't get it. I know it works for some but it just isn't my thing.

5e however looks promising to me. You can actually get a playtest kit from wizards.com to get a look at an early draft.you can also give them some feedback on it.

The design philosophy-as far as I understand it- is basically to be everything to everyone. Of course this is impossible but whatever the new incarnation any transition will involve sacrifice on the part of the players-I want to cite thomas khun here :)-but their plan seems to be to include the best things from each edition-and yes I think there were a few things in 4e that were good- in the "core"rules and provide optical "rule modules" to better support different play styles.

I imagine a basic bg3 install to include the "core" rules but with modules in the game options screen (though this is premature conjecture).

From what i've seen that I like with character creation they have "backgrounds"as well as "themes" both of which seem very "kit like".

Background is what it sounds like. Are you a peasant (hero?) or nobel? are you from a mountain village? That sort of thing. You get some bonuses both mechanical (I think in "skill" bonuses) and social bonuses (like lodging) iirc from this. Skills seem more open ended so rather than getting a bonus to "pick locks" you get a bonus when you perform actions involving locks or similar mechanical devices.

Themes remind me of some cross between kits and prestige classes. You might be an herbalist or a defender or something similar.

But its an early version. I'll see before I judge (now I want to cite socrates :)
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited August 2012
    Doom972 said:

Can you please provide a link? Where did they confirm it?

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/41198

Philip Daigle: "I'm sure some people would like to discuss which version of the D&D rules they would prefer, and that's fine. But be aware: if a BG3 were to happen, it would most likely use whatever current D&D rules WOTC has, rather than an older rule set. Some people may not like this, but keep in mind that it makes sense for a company to promote the latest incarnation of their ruleset and you can't really expect them to do otherwise."

I should have said 'high probability' rather than confirmation. It's what we are told to expect, let's put it that way.
  • KharasKharas Member Posts: 150
    edited August 2012
    Bleh.. if its 4th edition.. then I will proably not buy the game.. Never liked that system at all.

5th edition.. well.. we will just have to wait and see how it turns out.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @kilroy_was_here (or anyone else) - completely off topic - How would you suggest limiting resting in pnp, I just started DMing recently, starting up with 2E. My players are lvl1 still, raiding a dungeon and running home every time they get hurt, there's only 3 of them. I guess I could make it really expensive?
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I wonder if WotC would budge on allowing the 2nd ed. AD&D ruleset to be used for BG3 based on BG/BG2:EE fan reaction.

Don't PnP players who use older editions than whatever is current (and I'm reading that most do) also purchase older editions? There's no market for the customer who wants older versions?

If BG/BG2:EE is successful in large part precisely because it uses their best ruleset for a CRPG, perhaps that will send WotC a message. If all they read is dollar signs, let's hope the sales make it crystal clear to them.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Here the conundrum
    If it is done in forth edition, I wouldn't bother to buy the game
    If it is done in d&d next, then
    1. D&D next wouldactually have to be good
    2. I still would not buy it unless some of the ridiculous FR changes were removed or retconned.
    @Moomintroll There are 3 basic ways to keep a party from resting too often in pnp.

1) Roll for a random encounter whenever they rest in a dungeon/wilderness area. Even if they set a watch (if they didn't... hehehe) the rest of the party are not optimally prepared for a fight. Were you sleeping in heavy armor? Assign a penalty for that. Took your armor off? That does baaaad things to your AC. As long as the player knows the possibility exists that they will be attacked while resting they will be reluctant to use it as a crutch.

2) If they go back to town, replenish/replace encounters they've already cleared when they return. Half a day's march to walk to town, 8 hours of sleep and half a day back? That's plenty of time to bring in some more orcs or kobolds or whatever the lvl 1 creature in the dungeon is. Plus, since they know the party is coming back they will have prepared new traps and tactics.

3) Give a time limit in game. The mayor's daughter will be sacrifced on the night of the full moon, which happens to be 2 days away... The town will be destroyed by a natural disaster unless you return the idol of goodness in time... It doesn't work for every quest but can be great to ratchet up the tension if the players still insist on taking their time. Even though the players can usually avoid the bad consequence directly (they can leave town before it hits the fan after all) they would fail their quest, get no reward or quest xp and eventually acquire a reputation as cowards and shirkers. If there are paladins in the group failing to protect the innocent or monks going back on their pledge to help, the sky's the limit. :)

Hope that helps.
    @kilroy_was_here Cool! thanks for taking the time to write such a full answer. It does help, I'd never played PnP before doing this, so I've only had youtube videos and podcasts to go by how these things normally go down.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    @Moomintroll
    Alternatively, the inhabitants of the dungeon may have moved out. If a group of goblins holes up in a cave and one day find half of their number dead, they'll GTFO as soon as possible, taking the loot and captured maiden/gentleman with them. Good luck finding them then.

My mistake when DMing at first (and still, occasionally) was making dungeons static places, where monsters waited calmly in every room for the adventurers to come and kill them.
    When you think of them not as killzones but as living places with sentient creatures, it comes alive a lot more and becomes a more dynamic experience, causing you to think outside the gaming-view of 'should I give my players a penalty for leaving and resting' to 'Well of *course* that doesn't work like that.'
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Drugar said:

@Moomintroll
    Alternatively, the inhabitants of the dungeon may have moved out. If a group of goblins holes up in a cave and one day find half of their number dead, they'll GTFO as soon as possible, taking the loot and captured maiden/gentleman with them. Good luck finding them then.

Stuff like this also feels like a natural consequence to their actions, so it's not likely to upset the players too much. And if the players decide to try to track the enemies down and doesn't keep themselves from being seen, you can always have the enemy set an ambush down the trail.

@Drugar @scriver Thanks for the advice! unfortunately it's hard getting everybody together and when they're not too tired to play. I think if they do this over-cautious approach next time we play, I'll have a team of kobolds make a raid on the inn where they are staying as they keep going back to the same place after basically just being pests at the enemy base.

The actual game is the AD&D 2E first quest box, I like how simplified it is but can't wait to get a new campaign going where the players make their own characters.
    I've started some before with some visiting friends and made them do that quite strict character generation where you get your dice rolls and that's it, no re-rolls, you pick the class that fits. I'm not sure if the players minded that or not - I like the idea that they play to their character's strengths, rather than decide the character's strengths.
  • AndrewRogueAndrewRogue Member Posts: 72
    edited August 2012
    Warning: The following post comes from someone who appreciates most of 4th Edition's Design Decisions. You have been warned.

It necessitates a different game style, but, in general, 4th Edition fairly well designed for porting to a PC/CRPG. The mechanics are actually well designed for a game (something that, and I know I'll catch flack for this, 3.X (and possibly earlier editions, but I never actually played them outside of BG/2) wasn't actually wasn't that good at). Although everyone always criticizes 4th for being an MMO (or at least did back in the day), what it actually emulates is a minis game/SRPG.

The actual effects would be interesting. Mechanically speaking (due to emphasis on coordination of effects, importance of positioning, interrupts), a 4th Edition game would likely need to be fully turn based as opposed to quasi-turn based/real time. Furthermore, the game would optimally find a way to integrate a grid.

I actually think you could manage a fully open world like BG, with a brief transition to a grid version of the field at the start of combat. It'd actually be kind of interesting to see if it could be implemented.

Honestly, I think it is quite a damn shame 4th never got a game. There was a lot of potential for really engaging mechanics.

It is way too early to say much about 5th Edition, but it is definitely an edition designed to appeal to the players who were lost with the 4th Edition transition and bears a lot of callbacks (for better and for worse) to older editions. Based on what I've seen though, you could structure it very similarly to the existing BG formula.