Skip to content

Do you consider abusing Drizzt's AI to kill him in BG1 "cheating"?

thesoloerthesoloer Member Posts: 77
As in luring him to the edge of the water and then bow shooting him to death from the island while he stands there and twitches.
  1. Do you consider abusing Drizzt's AI to kill him in BG1 "cheating"?60 votes
    1. Yes
      63.33%
    2. No
      36.67%

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Its cheesy sure but its not cheating.
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    I consider a lot of things cheesy and/or cheating. In this specific circumstance I would consider it cheating, as there is not much difference between that and CLUAconsoling him to death. Now, if you were to put every buff and potion on someone, have them tank while spamming heal spells on them, that's cheesy.

Things like early access to RoP +1 and RoW are grey areas, the early ankheg plate without a doubt in my opinion. I would consider the ankheg plate if they'd changed the description at the very least. Again, these items are basically CLUAconsoled into your inventory without the typing.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    To be honest, I didn't even know that was a thing. I'll probably try it now. I've heard they fixed the infamous "drizzt pathfinding bug" but I guess this isn't it?
    meagloth said:

To be honest, I didn't even know that was a thing. I'll probably try it now. I've heard they fixed the infamous "drizzt pathfinding bug" but I guess this isn't it?

Yes this is it.
    elminster said:

meagloth said:

Yes this is it.
    Then it's fixed, right?
    meagloth said:

elminster said:

meagloth said:

Yes this is it.
    Then it's fixed, right?
    Yep
    elminster said:

meagloth said:

elminster said:

meagloth said:

Yes this is it.
    Then it's fixed, right?
    Yep
    Well, darn.
  • thesoloerthesoloer Member Posts: 77
    @FinaLFront you consider getting the Ankheg armor in Nashkel "cheating"?.........wat
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    thesoloer said:

@FinaLFront you consider getting the Ankheg armor in Nashkel "cheating"?.........wat

Metagame knowledge, used wisely, it's the most powerful of the tools.

There is just no way to kill Drizzt as a low-level solo fighter without using the path search nodes exploit.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486

I consider a lot of things cheesy and/or cheating. In this specific circumstance I would consider it cheating, as there is not much difference between that and CLUAconsoling him to death. Now, if you were to put every buff and potion on someone, have them tank while spamming heal spells on them, that's cheesy.

Things like early access to RoP +1 and RoW are grey areas, the early ankheg plate without a doubt in my opinion. I would consider the ankheg plate if they'd changed the description at the very least. Again, these items are basically CLUAconsoled into your inventory without the typing.

Between finding the RoW in the rubble under a tree and the Ankheg plate on the side of the farmland I'd say the former is at least as improbable as the latter (even taking the armour's protective colouring into account). Personally I find it more difficult to roleplay finding the ring (and therefore "cheatier").
    I really didn't mean to vote yes, I just wanted to see if voting would let me see the results of my poll.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Not at all. A good Drizzt is a dead Drizzt.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    It's not cheating in the strictest sense (like using cheatcodes) but it's cheating in the way that you're getting an unfair and unintentional advantage over it.
    edited April 2014
    thesoloer said:

There is just no way to kill Drizzt as a low-level solo fighter without using the path search nodes exploit.

I hear he has sweet scimitars
    Post edited by FinaLfront on
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Well my method still...

What the heck is this?! Invisibility detection script?!?!?!?!?!?! NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

*cough* *ahem* Well... I am still smarter than him... I will find a way... Yeah....

I had no idea they would fix that bug that way... now who was the idiot that reported that one?

Personally, I consider Drizzt to be the real cheater here. Just look at all those immunities he shouldn't possess in the first place.

True, and the amount of non-crit damage he does with that 13 str
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    I do not know about exploits. I killed him with another method, which is also considered an exploit (using firebead elvenhair and export import in original 1, plus an entire party of my own creation, plus the Expansion Pack saved game and multiplayer save load to dress them up in endgame items, i got six powerhouses, 2 of them were cleric and druid respectively with serious summons; in original 1, summoning creatures got you a small army of them, i filled the grounds around Drizzt with a vast army, had them all blessed and chanted, ordered them to attack him, switched to the ranged weapons on all characters with +2 artillery bought from the mission pack saved game, and fella was dead on less than 5 minutes).

Using the bad AI is not cheating, for me, just exploiting. Since you did it without using console command, an editor, hacking tools or cheat insertion, then it should be acceptable. If you enjoyed what you did, and how you play the game with this style, it is ok, and all that matters, actually.
    SirK8 said:

The only real way to kill Drizzt is to use werebears...

You are lying.
    They are clearly werecapyabras with slings. (joking)
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    It's definitely on the borderline - for me personally, it feels like cheating, hence my vote. But I appreciate the other side's argument.
    mumumomo said:

Why some people keep saying that playing with some wits is cheesy? I really don't get that. If you use potions, that's cheesy. If you use spells, that's cheesy,... At the end of the day, what is not?

I'm sure, you actually do get it
    No, using a spell here, and a potion there, isn't cheesy. Put in it's proper context, in this case, having Drizzt just stand there watching as you and your group oddly buff for armageddon, is cheesy. It essentially boils down to what @CrevsDaak said earlier:
    CrevsDaak said:

Metagame knowledge, used wisely, it's the most powerful of the tools.

In all fairness, the game cheeses you first. Drizzt, the final battle, Aec'Letec... These battles can't be realistically fought without your own cheese.

The final battle, Aec'Letec... These battles can't be realistically fought without your own cheese.

I've beaten Aec'Letec with a completely non-cheesy strategy, with a level 11 Cleric solo.
    The final battle in BG1 is easy. You are also aware of what Sarevok is going to do and you know that fighting him is inevitable, so, I don't think that buffing for that fight is cheesy. Plus it *is* easy, Sarevok is just a hard-hitting guy, I used Greater Malison + some charges of the Wand of Stun and he got sunned for the whole battle (and he got killed by a level 9 mage).
  • CatoblepasCatoblepas Member Posts: 96
    Drizzt is a blight on the realms and anything that can be done to remove him from it is completely justifiable.

Besides, as has been pointed out-he cheats rather badly himself-so why should be hold back?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @CrevsDaak‌ You should only be able to reach Cleric 8 in this game, so not really a valid point.

CrevsDaak‌ You should only be able to reach Cleric 8 in this game, so not really a valid point.

I do know that. Still an easy fight, just make a Fighter drink a Potion of Magic Shielding and use the Necklace of Missiles.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689

mumumomo said:

In all fairness, the game cheeses you first. Drizzt, the final battle, Aec'Letec... These battles can't be realistically fought without your own cheese.

Nothing cheesy about Aec'Letec. A potion of mirroring which makes sense as it's his gaze, and you're ready to pummel him to death. It should be quite obvious to even a RP CHARNAME to go for the humans in the room.