Skip to content

"He has shown me how to make it vulnerable" - Who?

MaciejSMaciejS Member Posts: 28
As the title suggests, this is something which has bugged me for quite some time. In the dream sequence within Spellhold, we meet Imoen (or her soul), who instructs us that a certain "he" has shown her how to battle the essence of Bhaal.
Who, in the name of Ao, is this "he"? I've seen a rather lengthy discussion about that somewhere in the older topics, but the lad who created it was rather rude and banned - although his arguments were sourced and very well formed.

Here are a few points of who definitely falls OUT of the equation:
1. Irenicus - he has absolutely no reason to help battle the essence of Bhaal - quite the opposite, in fact
2. Bhaal - obviously
3. Imoen's soul - since the soul is represented as the person itself (the example being Imoen in the sequence itself, or CHARNAME), it would be a "she"
4. Bhaal's essence - obviously

In the discussion already mentioned the most interesting theory seemed to me that "he" is Cyric- if anyone could find this topic and post the link, I'd be grateful - right now I can't find it.

UPDATE: The aforementioned discussion has, unfortunately, been deleted.

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I've always assumed Irenicus.
  • MaciejSMaciejS Member Posts: 28
    The problem is, he has no reason to do it, and would be counterproductive - after all, he wants a weak soul ripe for the taking, and then observe how the essence takes over.

As for the "Cyric theory": the main arguments I can remember are:
    1. It has to be a "he" - check.
    2. "He" has to be powerful enough to invade dreams - check.
    3. "He" has to be actively interested in the Bhaalspawn, not just CHARNAME - check.
    4. "He" has to have good reasons to oppose the return of Bhaal - check.
    5. "He" has to have at least once, on a different occasion, helped the Bhaalspawn - check.
    6. "He" has to keep his identity secret - check (Ao's orders).
    In making it vulnerable, does she not weaken the essence? If her soul derives strength from it, perhaps weakening the essence makes her soul ripe for takeover. Just postulating here.
    That would be the case if it were not shown in the sequence that "The Soul" and "The Essence" are two separate entities.
    Furthermore, when talking with The Essence of Bhaal he speaks of the soul as a different entity.
    Separate yes, but not separated.
    Still, an interesting question…
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    I've always had this little idea in the back of my mind that it's Sarevok.
    edited April 2014
    If it was Sarevok, it means someone had to release his soul from the Abyss. Guess which god rules it... And then the fact he never mentions his help seems a bit odd...no reason for the secrecy.
    edited April 2014
    MaciejS said:

If it was Sarevok, it means someone had to release his soul from the Abyss. Guess which god rules it... And then the fact he never mentions his help seems a bit odd...no reason for the secrecy.

I don't see why Sarevok (as a spirit in the realm of bhaal) wouldn't be able to manifest himself into a dream of Imoens. It could also be Imoens subconscious that manifest him in her dream. It would also make sense for him to help Imoen which in return would help you, as you're the only one who he could actually convince to save him.

And Sarevok would know how to do it, he's probably the one guy (other than Melissan) that knows the most about Bhaal.

I'm not saying it's him, but it kind of makes sense in a twisted sort of way in my brain.

[Edited] : And if he did mention this when you meet him in the pocket plane, you'll probably wonder why a person like Sarevok did help you, and then ponder his motives for it. Let's not forget that our dear brother is intelligent.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    I always thought it was Sarevok myself, as well. But the Cyric theory is interesting: I think I like it. Hm.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    It is Irenicus.

Remember, it is Imoen who is "telling" this, not Irenicus. I don't think that Irenicus intentionally showed Imoen how to do this, it was an unexpected result of the experiments that resulted in this. I personally do not think that Irenicus is aware of this.

Imoen is telling Charname about this, to help him in his struggle.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    It is obviously a dream sequence - and in it, when Imoen says that, she is referring to Irenicus.

I don't think that Imoen is really (meaning that she is real, in the dream) in it - she is just represented, a figure of Charname's imagination (as are all of the figures, really).
    WebShaman said:

It is obviously a dream sequence - and in it, when Imoen says that, she is referring to Irenicus.

I don't think that Imoen is really (meaning that she is real, in the dream) in it - she is just represented, a figure of Charname's imagination (as are all of the figures, really).

But if she is a figure of CHARNAME's imagination, then what she is telling him isn't something that Imoen knows, it's something that CHARNAME knows and projects through his image of Imoen.
    Elvenhair! I knew that fuzzy bastard was going to figure into this somehow!
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @jackjack, have you never wondered why he casts Protection from Evil when it is of absolutely no use in the prologue and wears off before the scene with Sarevok? It would be an interesting memory to look to in such dire circumstances.
    Mind = blown
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @jackjack, that's just a humorous example; it could be literally anyone or anything. A person (Irenicus), a God (Cyric), a side-effect of the circumstances (possibly even a side effect of Yoshimo or Saemon's herbs aboard the ship mixed with the spell?), or some knowledge or a memory.
    Hm, what you say is true, but I still think you may be on to something with this Firebead fellow…
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    It's Irenicus. It's not that he actually set out to teach anyone anything. It's possible to learn by observing someone, even if they have no intention of teaching.
  • BleuCelesteBleuCeleste Member Posts: 14
    I also like the idea of Irenicus. The beast before you enter into the castle takes part of yourself. "Do you give of yourself to see of yourself" or something similar. You sacrifice another portion of yourself to see what is being done to you during the spell. The eventual knowledge you gain from observing Irenicus' process allows "your soul to be guided from within".
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    edited April 2014
    since irenicus wanted to tap into imoen's power/steal it, he had to bring her to her fullest potential and show her how to utilize it. that's my theory.
    "not now, not when i'm so close to unlocking your power"
    edited April 2014
    It still doesn't make sense because Irenicus is actually surprised after the whole ordeal. The way he is surprised afterwards seems pretty genuine and shows quite clearly that whatever you did, he wasn't expecting it.

And would people please stop saying "It's xxxx" because there is no way to be sure of this. All we have are opinions and speculations, which is what makes this so interesting to start with.
    @SionIV good point.. but maybe she turned out to be stronger than he anticipated?
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    It's surely the same thing as what Irenicus says at the start of the game about you having much untapped power that he wishes to unlock? I've never thought too much about it, but perhaps inevitably Irenicus had to give Imoen a conscious understanding of her Bhaal heritage and the implications of that before he could extract it.

On the other hand, it isn't Imoen's dream and technically the character you speak to isn't even Imoen, as after the dream Imoen confesses no recollection of the events of it. So in a terribly post-modern interpretation, she didn't and doesn't need to have made any logical sense at all.
    pretty funny though that everyone recognizes the sentence
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.