Skip to content

Marek and Lothander Quest Bug. Am I doomed?

2»

Comments

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Chronicler wrote: »
    They're probably talking to the wrong guy, but pickpocketing doesn't do you much good anyway.

The book's too heavy to pickpocket. Just flatout. It weights 50 pounds, and no matter how potions of master thievery you drink you can't get it.

You definitely can pick pocket the tome. I did it with Imoen with 100 per cent in pick pocketing on my last run through. Once she had got it she was seriously encumbered and she made a very slow get away but she certainly got it.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Maybe it's just the High Priestess of Umberlee you can't steal the tome from. I know I often get to the end of the quest and realize I need to steal the scroll before I hand the tome to her, rather than handing her the tome and then stealing it back, if I wish to keep the tome but also avoid the violence of killing all these priestesses.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    When you hand over an item, it gets a "can't steal" flag. You can never pickpocket back an item you've given away.

The book starts out in one of Chanthalas' quick item slots, which can be stolen from. But then, if you let Jalantha get her hands on it, the only way to get it back is with force.
    Wow. That's so stupid and arbitrary.

Like, handing something over and then stealing it back seems like it should be fairly standard hijinks, and a valid gameplay/roleplaying decision. Certainly at least as valid as handing the item over and then killing them and looting it off their corpse. Wonder why they'd specifically code against that?
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    As an aside, the ONLY time I think I've gotten through a BG/BG2 run without killing the Umberlee priestesses was when I actually had one in the party. (I was playing with the Tenya mod)

I don't always plan to nuke them from orbit, but someone in the party invariably ticks them off and there you go.
    Tenya always seems like a kind of interesting character to me. She just speaks to a different time in videogames.

She seems to be a child. At least, there are dialogue choices where you act like she's young enough to require a caretaker, and she tells you Umberlee is the only Mother she needs.

Yet you engage her in mortal combat as a part of a questline, and can finish her off if you so choose.

You can't do that in games anymore. There are similar open world RPG's where you can kill anybody except for a handful of characters important to the story, but the children are immortal in those games now. Child Violence is special where ratings are concerned somehow. I know in Guild Wars 2 it was a constant source of disappointment that they initially introduced Taimi like she was gonna be one of the group, but she kept conspicuously disappearing in all the cool group moments. Turned out that they can never put Taimi in a dangerous situation, or else they move from T for Teen to M for Mature.

But I guess that wasn't an issue when Baldur's Gate was made? Can't have been, or we wouldn't have Tenya.
  • kizhkizh Member Posts: 2
    I killed Lothander(sp?) with entangle and some swift attacks for his boots after he gave me the antidote. then I went to Merck and killed/got his half. I have the bottle of remedy but Im still getting the feeling unwell messages like Im going to die soon. This quest Is messed up.
  • kizhkizh Member Posts: 2
    I just took the potion again and the quest finished. Oddly the bottle had 9 uses when I used it this time. I used it on everyone to be safe, but only the main character got a graphic and sound. Good luck to you all.

And ya lornthar is tricky. I saved in front of him and tried stuff like hold person before taking to him, but using entangle from my druid make the whole room stuck and he still talked to me. I had a character that resisted and it took two chops for him.