Skip to content

Dual class questions and brainstorm.

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
I have never really tried dual classing on one of my characters. Now I am considering experimenting with dual classes but I would like to bounce a few ideas off of the community and then get some questions answered about what to expect.

Lets start with my first idea for a dual class: I was thinking starting off as a Shadowdancer and then dualing to fighter at level 13 (when I reach the maximum backstab multiplier). The reasoning behind this was that I wanted a character with fighter combat prowess that excels in stealth and can backstab like a champ. I thought about shadowdancer > fighter (as opposed to fighter kit > thief (which I know is popular for some reason that escapes me)) because the hide in plain sight really appeals to me.

Now a few questions about the Shadowdancer>Fighter: At about what point in SoA would I get my Shadowdancer powers back if I dualed at 13 (I usually do everything possible before heading to Brynnlaw with the exception of Watchers Keep)? At about what point would I get the fighter HLAs? Are there any tweaks to the basic plan above that would make my character much better or are in general worth considering (such as the level at which I dual)? How should I spend my proficiency points to optimize my character (I would probably want to dual wield something in the long term (scimitars maybe))? Anything else I should know?

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Are you running a full party? The amount of party members is a big influence on the lentgh of your downtime. I'd cheese myself to as much XP as possible while your Shadowdander levels are inactive. 14 Fighter levels is 1.5 million XP, half the SoA XP cap. You could leave a number of quests finished without doing the completion/reward talks with the respective questgivers before dualling, dismiss your party members and get as much XP for your character alone (even though some quests give XP individually to each party member rather than a lump sum of XP). You could save a number of easy quests that don't involve battle (Wellyn, orphan child at the graveyard, Sir Sarles). You could also dismiss al party members but one mage, and have him/her write a lot of spells for which you'll get half the XP.
    Btw careful with dismissing NPCs you're romancing, it will break the romance.

I never bother with dualling at high levels, too tedious, but if you're patient the results are often great, from what I've read.
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    For the choice of the class :

To play a shadow dancer, you need to get your HIS/MS to decent levels. This is not well suited for
    thieves-fighter types.

As a matter Given shadowdancer low skill point progression :
    - dualling at 9 you would do have around 110/110 (not great if needing to do it during the day) and nothing else
    - dualling at 13 you would have around 140/140.

Therefore your thief will not be able to do anything else than HIS/MS and you will need another thief

On the opposite, if you don't use HIS/MS you have enough points at level 9 to reach 100 in find traps and open locks.

Therefore i would rather do an assassin->fighter :
    - takes care of traps and locks
    - Can backstab (better than a Shadow dancer) using invisibility rings (a lot of them are available in SOA)
    - HUGE dps thanks to poison weapon (can kill a dragon in 1-2 rounds using improved haste and dual wielding)

For the level :

If you don't play solo, try to dual class at lower level (maybe 9 at most) or you will not experience your class for most of SOA.

For proficiencies :

Dual wielding is the obvious powergaming choice.

I like to start with GM in scimitars :
    - they can backstab
    - belm is the best off hand you can get and is very easy to get
    - usuno +4 is also very easy to get

To maximise your proficiencies, do not take them in both your thief period and your fighter period or you will lose them.
    For example :assuming a level 13/14 dual if you put 1 in longsword as a thief and 1 in long sword as a level 1 fighter. When you reach level 14, you will just have 1 PIP in longsword. Therefore you would have wasted 1.

What you can do :
    thief level 9 :
    - shortbow (very useful BG1)
    - longsword
    - quarterstaff (great for backstab)
    - 2H weapon

Fighter level 1 :
    Scimitar 2 -> 5 at level 9
    dual wielding 2

At level 10 your proficiencies would be :
    - shortbow 1
    - longsword 1
    - quarterstaff 1
    - 2H weapon 1
    - Scimitar 5
    - dual wielding 2

at the xp cap you would have 10 other PIP which is enough to reach 2 other GM (with leftover is you chose GM is quarterstaff/shortbow or longsword)
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited April 2014
    Have you considered leveling an unkitted fighter to level 9 or so, then using EEKeeper to dual into a Shadowdancer? You'd end up with better Thac0 and HP, a great many more thief points, and you'd be trading the Fighter HLAs for those of a Thief, which has its ups and downs, of course. You will also regain your old class more quickly as a thief levels faster than a fighter, and there isn't much of a case to go past level 9 as a fighter, unless you're soloing.

Edit: Shadowdancer is my favorite Thief kit, even more so than Assassin. HiPS is a lot of fun.
    Post edited by jackjack on
    That would indeed be the best.

Also just to explain to the OP why fighter->thief is more popular than thief -> fighter :

fighter->thief has :
    - easier dualling to due low thief xp requirements
    - much better HP at early-mid level (although the thief->fighter tend to catch up for the end game, when it does not really matte)
    - fighters don't progress at all past level 13 (they THACO is low enough to hit anything and they have all the APR they can get). On the contrary, thieves may need more levels to master all their skills. Their traps/poison also keep improving with levels.
    - Thief HLA are better that fighter's.
    UAI and traps are especially powerful. GWW can be easily reproduced with improved haste and dual wielding. Assassination is stronger than critical strike against non-immune ennemies

The only thing that could tilt the balance toward a thief->fighter is the thieves kits.

If you look at them :
    - swashbuckler -> fighter. Very OP. But a kensai->thief is stronger (better HP, better melee modifiers, backstab, better HLA). The only thing the swashbuckler has for him in comparison is the AC.
    - bounty hunter -> fighter. Poor choice. Traps benefit mostly from higher thieves levels. A fighter->thief will end up being a much better trapper thanks to HLA
    - shadow dancer ->fighter. As explained in my previous post, you have to a sacrifice all your skills point to get HIS/MS to sufficient level (if you don't use stealth, this kit has no point). So basically you get a fighter with (weak) backstab. A Kensai->thief will be MUCH stronger at backstabbing (and can use the staff of the magi if you like HIPS that much)
    - assassin-> fighter. Now we are talking. This class is completely OP, thanks to poison weapon.
    I did an assassin 11/fighter 12 (skill points in find traps and set traps). I stopped playing it because it was disgustingly OP.

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Very interesting feedback. I may switch up my original plan and do some manner of fighter>shadowdancer as suggested.
    Tresset said:

Very interesting feedback. I may switch up my original plan and do some manner of fighter>shadowdancer as suggested.

If you do, let me know what you think - I'm limiting myself to 4(!) playthroughs at a time and I'm fresh outta Bhaalspawn.
    I am thinking of going Berserker13>Shadowdancer because I don't want to wait for UAI to wear armor and I don't really see any need for ranged weapons. Plus the rage may help a little bit.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Tresset‌ You can't have multiple kits without mods.
    @FinneousPJ Yeah, I know. I was planning on using EEKeeper to edit my second class to Shadowdancer.
    @Tresset It still doesn't work in the vanilla game.
    Very well then. Fighter>Shadowdancer it is. Or can that not be done either?
    @Tresset Good point about the rages. I guess it kind of "works" in that way.
    Well, I decided to skip BG1 and start directly in SoA. So far he is still just a berserker... I hope it doesn't take too long to get to level 13... from level 8... Probably won't help that I am going to do a full party run...
    And I managed to corrupt my save file trying to fix the Watcher's Keep bug. Yay!
    Ugh, 5 months in and I still can't properly access Watcher's Keep. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.
    @jackjack well its not like I made it that far in. I'll just start over and make sure to get Watcher's Keep on my map.

Also, if you have trouble with this bug try this: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/489064/#Comment_489064
    It didn't work for me but it may work for you.
    edited April 2014
    I discovered a little problem. When I test dualed to Shadowdancer it started me off with 40 skill points at level 1 (should have been only 30) but that is easy enough to fix. The real problem is that it started me off with x2 backstab instead of x1. Thus when I test leveled my Shadowdancer he capped at x5 backstab instead of x4. I don't really want to cheat that badly, but I can't find a simple way to edit my backstab multiplier. I suppose I do have experience in that area already considering that I still have my awful shadowdancer fixes from ages ago on my desktop, and I suppose I could readjust them to fix this little issue, but I would much prefer a more simple and much less brutal method than that. If anyone with more scripting/modding knowledge than me wants to help me out with a more elegant scripting solution then I would certainly appreciate it. If not, then I can manage on my own just fine.

Edit: Wow; that was quick. Never mind then; I fixed it myself.
    So I am mostly done with my companions' personal quests. Been running around like a headless chicken trying to complete them all. It feels like I have done quite a bit... and yet I have only gained 2 whole levels since starting (I am now at level 10)... I do hope that I get to level 13 soon so I can actually dual and get to the fun Shadowdancer part, which I was hoping for much sooner than this... Stupid slow leveling fighters...
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    If you use a full party, you should complete your dual in the underdark.
    Dualling 13 without cheesing takes a veeeeery long time.
    Booo....
    Ok. I used EEkeeper to level down and I dualed at level 9. Then I added the excess experience I gained beyond level 9 and it turned out that my shadowdancer immediately reached level 11. So I guess that works and now I am a Berserker>Shadowdancer. Yay!
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @mumumomo‌ level 14 as a thief requires just 880, and mages need just 1,5M.
    @ yes but if you add the 1.25 million xp to get to fighter 13, it means that you will play your fully developped character for less than half of the game
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    mumumomo said:

@ yes but if you add the 1.25 million xp to get to fighter 13, it means that you will play your fully developped character for less than half of the game

Duh, that was my mistake :| forgot about the XP for the first class.