Skip to content

Tutorial: short swords from kobolds can break

HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
I think previous patches already tried to stop the iron crisis from affecting the tutorial. For instance, in an earlier version, I remember Minsc's two-handed sword once broke during combat, which isn't possible anymore. However, one thing was missed in that regard. At the end of the tutorial, you are sent down to the basement (tu0018.are). In that area there are four kobolds (ttkob.cre). The kobolds carry ordinary short swords (sw1h07.itm). These weapons can break in combat. The player can loot these weapons and use them during the tutorial. These short swords need to be replaced with non-breakable versions.

Comments

• dam23dam23 Member Posts: 30
    AFAIK the iron crisis only applies to SCS installations that chose the option, not the vanilla game ?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    The iron crisis applies to normal metal weapons in a standard game (i.e., magic weapons and wood weapons excluded).

SCS has a component to replace most +1 weapons with "masterwork" weapons that get a +1 to hit, but are non-magical, so they can still break.

BG2 Tweaks has a component to extend the iron crisis to normal armor, shields, and helmets.
  • HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    As AstroBryGuy said, the iron crisis affects non-enchanted metal weapons in the main game, you don't need any mods for that to happen. However, it shouldn't affect the tutorial. I didn't use mods when I observed this bug.