Skip to content

Throwing weapons Thac0

I've encountered something realy weird when I was checking the save of my multiplayer game. The Thac0 of throwing axe seems to get bonus BOTH from Dex and Str

This is heavily modified game (SCS,Revisions etc.) but I still thing that this is bug. Anyone in which file i can crush it?

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I did already report this but have since been second guessing myself as to whether or not it is a bug... I am just not sure...
  • ArizaelArizael Member Posts: 263
    edited April 2014
    It must be bugged, both Str and Dex bonus is insanely overpowered (not to mention it gets +dmg from str as well), actualy it is better to throw it than fight in meele.
    TressetBlackravenjackjackelminster
    Yeah, I just checked the vBG2 behavior and I am pretty sure it is a bug now. I will update my report to include throwing weapons since it currently only mentions the sling of everard and the sling of seeking.
    elminsterBlackraven
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I noticed too, I just wasn't complaining. ;)
    jackjack
    Quartz said:

I noticed too, I just wasn't complaining. ;)

Despite my role as a beta tester I actually have the same attitude about a lot of things...
    Quartz
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Arizael said:

It must be bugged, both Str and Dex bonus is insanely overpowered (not to mention it gets +dmg from str as well), actualy it is better to throw it than fight in meele.

I don't think it's overpowered, basically instead of hitting all the time because fighter thac0 in general is super low, you will ... hit all the time. It doesn't change much IMO.
    Tresset
  • ArizaelArizael Member Posts: 263

At last something that makes them worth carrying around all that weight and also reflects their historical importance. Many Military Historians believe the Frankish tribe rose to prominence because of the effectiveness of their throwing-axe techniques. These allowed Charles Martel to defeat the Moors using Axes aimed to hit just at the feet of the front line which then bounded unpredictably upwards underneath the shield wall of enemies doing major unpreventable damage.

I think even the etymology of "frank" is derived from their word for "throwing axe".

Throwing weapons were indeed usefull in pre-medieval times. Heavy armor was sparse than and only other alternative to ranged warfare were shortbows and slings. However as the longbows and crossbows appeared, throwing weapons dissapeared and for a reason.

Gameplay-wise throwing weapons are far from useless. The axe +2 is great for example. You don't need to worry about ammo. It gets strenght bonus for damage. And you can fight on grandmastery level both meele and ranged for mere 5 pips.
    jackjackEadwyn_G8keeper